Review: could Prednisone cause Muscle wasting (Muscle atrophy)?
Summary: Muscle wasting is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 146,809 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 314 have Muscle wasting. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle wasting and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prednisone and have Muscle wasting >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 150,145 Prednisone users)
Muscle wasting (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,644 Muscle wasting patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 146,809 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 314 people (0.21%) have Muscle Wasting.
Time on Prednisone when people have Muscle wasting * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle wasting||11.11%||55.56%||11.11%||0.00%||0.00%||11.11%||11.11% |
Gender of people who have Muscle wasting when taking Prednisone * :
|Muscle wasting||53.25%||46.75% |
Age of people who have Muscle wasting when taking Prednisone * :
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||2.19%||5.00%||18.75%||17.81%||26.56%||29.69% |
Severity of Muscle wasting when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||66.67%||33.33%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle wasting ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (70 people, 22.29%)
- Pain (66 people, 21.02%)
- Arthritis (51 people, 16.24%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (47 people, 14.97%)
- Hypersensitivity (46 people, 14.65%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (117 people, 37.26%)
- Prednisone tab (108 people, 34.39%)
- Methotrexate (91 people, 28.98%)
- Albuterol (76 people, 24.20%)
- Humira (70 people, 22.29%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prednisone and muscle wasting on
Do you have Muscle Wasting while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Muscle Wasting
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Muscle Wasting
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Hydroxyzine, Prednisone, Ortho Cyclen-28, Suboxone, Zoloft for a 34-year old woman with Otitis Media Chronic, Anxiety, Pregnancy, Addiction, Depression. The patient has Panic Attacks, Confusion Aggravated, Unhappy, Body Tinea
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Cellcept, Prograf for a 39-year old man with Kidney Transplant Rejection. The patient has Tingling And Numbness In My Foot Every Time I Stand Up Across My Right Foot Just Started Is Getting Worse My Toes Feel Like Needles
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Losartan Potassium, Metoprolol Succinate, Furosemide, Prednisone, Neoral for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Duretic, Anti Rejection, Suppress Immune System.
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 62-year old woman with Sudden Hearing Loss. The patient has Headache
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 29-year old woman with Headache - Migraine With Aura. The patient has Heat Intolerance, Diarrhea
Recent Prednisone related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.