Review: could Prednisone cause Myopathy?
Summary: Myopathy is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone tab, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 146,827 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 427 have Myopathy. Find out below who they are, when they have Myopathy and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prednisone and have Myopathy >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from 150,145 Prednisone users)
Myopathy (a muscular disease in which the muscle fibres do not function) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, hyperlipidaemia, osteoporosis, depression. (latest reports from 5,816 Myopathy patients)
On Apr, 7, 2015: 146,809 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 427 people (0.29%) have Myopathy.
Time on Prednisone when people have Myopathy * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Myopathy when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Myopathy when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Myopathy when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Myopathy ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (37 people, 8.67%)
- Osteoporosis (34 people, 7.96%)
- Lymphoedema (33 people, 7.73%)
- Malignant melanoma (33 people, 7.73%)
- Autoimmune hepatitis (33 people, 7.73%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (159 people, 37.24%)
- Prilosec (82 people, 19.20%)
- Mycophenolate mofetil (77 people, 18.03%)
- Aspirin (73 people, 17.10%)
- Neurontin (71 people, 16.63%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Niko (3 years ago):
I was given Prednisone to treat my Crohn's disease for around 2 years varying from 20 to 40 milligrams a day. One year ago i had this terrible back pain and i couldn't walk, or crawl, and even rolling over in bed hurt. I went to the hospital and basically EVERY possible orthopedic test was done. They found nothing. I was like this for nearly 3 months until we started to taper off of prednisone, and in may, i started to walk again, so my doctor said it could be prednisone induced myopathy. One year later i seem to have plateaued, still in alot of pain, and cannot do school from all the walking/sitting in bad chairs. My back does these terrible spasms if I'm not careful and i cannot walk for a couple days following, and also pretty much hurts all the time leaving me to be extremely in-active. So my main question is can prednisone induced myopathy effect my lower back this extremely even after 5 months of being completely off of prednisone? From what I've researched, and what my doctor told me, it's VERY unlikely.
Anyone's input would be helpful because i need answers and doctors don't seem to take me seriously and i need to get back to living my life.
P.S i am 18 and male
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prednisone and myopathy on
Do you have Myopathy while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Myopathy
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Myopathy
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 22-year old woman with Inflammation. The patient has Weight Below Normal, Joint Pain, Diarrhea, Fatigue - Chronic, Rash Erythematous
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Hydroxyzine, Prednisone, Ortho Cyclen-28, Suboxone, Zoloft for a 34-year old woman with Otitis Media Chronic, Anxiety, Pregnancy, Addiction, Depression. The patient has Panic Attacks, Confusion Aggravated, Unhappy, Body Tinea
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Cellcept, Prograf for a 39-year old man with Kidney Transplant Rejection. The patient has Tingling And Numbness In My Foot Every Time I Stand Up Across My Right Foot Just Started Is Getting Worse My Toes Feel Like Needles
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Losartan Potassium, Metoprolol Succinate, Furosemide, Prednisone, Neoral for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Duretic, Anti Rejection, Suppress Immune System.
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 62-year old woman with Sudden Hearing Loss. The patient has Headache
Recent Prednisone related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.