Review: could Prednisone cause Palpitations?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 2, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.1/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 146,485 people who take Prednisone. Among them, 1,365 have Palpitations. See who they are, when they have Palpitations and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Prednisone (latest outcomes from 149,621 users) has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis. Commonly reported side effects of Prednisone include fever, nausea aggravated, nausea, weakness, dyspnoea exacerbated.
Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) (latest reports from 305,676 patients) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain.
On Feb, 22, 2014: 140,480 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 1,292 people (0.92%) have Palpitations.
Time on Prednisone when people have Palpitations * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Palpitations when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Palpitations when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Palpitations when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Palpitations ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (123 people, 9.52%)
- Osteoporosis (102 people, 7.89%)
- Pain (64 people, 4.95%)
- Asthma (58 people, 4.49%)
- Crohn's disease (41 people, 3.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (333 people, 25.77%)
- Aspirin (176 people, 13.62%)
- Lipitor (166 people, 12.85%)
- Folic acid (161 people, 12.46%)
- Albuterol (156 people, 12.07%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Prednisone, Palpitations
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Prednisone (prednisone) is often used for asthma. Find out below the conditions Prednisone is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Prednisone used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Prednisone side effects from A to Z:
Browse Prednisone drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
Healed joint and soft tissue injuries (PID) return with increased pain and swelling. Pressure changes with position. Frequency and intensity of migraines increased with pressure symptoms. Genetic connective tissue disorder - Ehler Danlos Syndrome. Cardiac arrhythmia. History of rheumatic fever, pneumothorax, whooping cough, and severe allergic reactions.
From this study (1 year ago):
Headaches and muscle tension, racing heart and adrenaline rushes started shortly after taking 30 mg doses of prednisone (female 115lbs). After putting up with it for 24-36 hours the doctor advised her to get off prednisone immediately(no taper)...at the time we weren't familiar with prednisone and the need to taper off the medication...we think that this reaction has permanently affected her autonomic nervous system...she can become easily startled when nodding off to sleep and this starts a myriad of adrenaline rushes, rapid temperature swings, muscle tightness in head, neck and back...this spirals out of control to where she cannot fall asleep at all...it takes days and even weeks to get this settled back down and the only thing that helps her system settle down is through getting sleep...a sleep aid helps maybe the next day...these episodes usually occur in the evening prior to bedtime...which happens to be the when she first took prednisone and had her first reaction to the medication. We don't know if there is a correlation between the time of day of those occurrences or not. Very frustrating...looking for something to regulate her autonomic nervous system back to normal(if that is the true issue).
kay on Feb, 4, 2013:
get checked for celiac disease.Google it and you will start finding all links to what you are suffering from can cause dementia also.
From this study (2 years ago):
Within 30 minutes of taking my daily dose of Prednisone I have very intense pounding heart beat. I can feel my heart beating through my entire body, in my stomach and up into my neck area.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- How do you get rid of the buffalo hump?
how do you get rid of the buffalo hump I am going to have bariatric surgery because my doctor says there is no other way for me to loose weight. I have gained twice my weight. Not to mention I look like a linebacker. Does anyone else have this problem. What did you do
- Can you take garcinia cambogia while taking prednisone
On prednisone but want to start taking Garcinia Cambogia. Is it safe???
- Should i be concerned with my heart pounding really hard?
i just started taking lisinopril 4 days ago and on the first day i took it, my heart started pounding really hard but eventually went away. Now on the 4th day(today), i took it and the same thing happened. It comes and goes. So i'm not sure what the problem is, if it's a side effect or something els ...
More questions for: Prednisone, Palpitations
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Breast tenderness and soreness
This medicine made my breast very sore and tender.
- Spiriva caused me to swell up like a hippo.
My Doctor prescribed spiriva to help me breathe due to asthma/cold. I never smoked but my parents and friends were heavy smokers. I used the spiriva 3 times. Once a day for 3 days then I started swelling in my ankles and the swelling continued until my face, hands arms... basically I was so swollen ...
- Rocephin and levaquin drug interactions
I went to ER of local hospital because I was feeling puny, low energy for a while. I was on no meds, physical active all my life, yoga practiser, no crippling. I am late deafened, can speak clearly. This is a true case of attempted murder. I refused to admit myself after waiting 8 hours - I was refu ...
More reviews for: Prednisone, Palpitations
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Retin-a, Silver, Nystatin, Clobetasol Propionate, Vanos, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Cardizem, Prednisone, Restasis, Lidocaine, Zyrtec, Flonase, Ipratropium Bromide, Xopenex HFA, Xopenex, Fioricet, Relpax, Botox, Lidoderm, Baclofen, Lansoprazole, Advair Diskus 500/50, Symbicort, Singulair, Oxycodone, Enbrel, Aygestin for a patient with Acne, Wound, Thrush, Eczema, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Vitamin D Deficiency, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Rheumatic Heart Disease, Dry Eye, Cervical Spondylosis, Allergies, Rhinitis Allergic, Asthma, Migraine With Aura, Musculoskeletal Pain, Muscle Spasms, Gerd, Herniated Intervertebral Disk, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis. The patient has Urine Flow Decreased, Urine Output, Constipation, Shoulder Impingement Syndrome (Rotator cuff tendinitis), Frozen Shoulder, Early Morning Awakening, Palpitations Aggravated (Heart palpitations), Sleepy (Drowsiness), Sleep Paralysis - Isolated (Isolated sleep paralysis), Confusion, Sensitivity To The Cold (Cold intolerance), Drowsiness, Muscle Fatigue (Weakness), Cramps - Muscle (Muscle cramps), Pain - Muscles (Muscle aches), Muscular Weakness (Weakness), Eye Pain, Vision Blurred, Night Sweats, Pain - Joints (Joint pain), Joint Warmth, Pain - Neck (Neck pain), Blood Pressure Diastolic Increased, Increased Intracranial Pressure, Headache, Heart Rate Increased, Micturition Frequency Decreased, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a patient with Sinus Pain. The patient has Muscle Tightness, Heart Pounding Or Racing (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing), Restlessness (not able to rest), Hypertension (high blood pressure), Headache (pain in head)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a patient with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Heart Pounding (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
More related studies for: Prednisone, Palpitations
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.