Review: could Prednisone cause Sleepiness (Drowsiness)?
Summary: Sleepiness is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone tab, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 146,686 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,358 have Sleepiness. Find out below who they are, when they have Sleepiness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prednisone and have Sleepiness >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (view latest outcomes from 150,015 users)
Sleepiness (excess sleeping) has been reported by people with depression, pain, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Sleepiness 68,687 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 146,686 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 1,358 people (0.93%) have Sleepiness.
Time on Prednisone when people have Sleepiness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Sleepiness when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Sleepiness when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Sleepiness when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Sleepiness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (183 people, 13.48%)
- Pain (171 people, 12.59%)
- Hypertension (115 people, 8.47%)
- Multiple myeloma (100 people, 7.36%)
- Depression (89 people, 6.55%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone tab (438 people, 32.25%)
- Lasix (243 people, 17.89%)
- Aspirin (223 people, 16.42%)
- Methotrexate (187 people, 13.77%)
- Folic acid (182 people, 13.40%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Sleepiness while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Sleepiness
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Sleepiness
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What are the side effects of catuaba/golden trumpet? is it truly for man only? does it really help with physical and mental fatigue?
On going, gradual forgetfulness for over 10 years. Concentration is moderate,but memory is very poor. Day time sleepiness is always an issue. No brain tumor, no dementia,nor any other neurological dysfunctions.
- Can meclizine cause insomnia once and sleepiness the next time
I took Meclizine one night (as advised by pharmacist; she said it causes drowsiness), after experiencing my first attack of vertigo. It kept me awake almost all night. A couple weeks later, as I was getting ready for a special school event for my daughter, I thought another vertigo attack was coming on. Since the Meclizine didn't make me sleepy the first time but instead had the opposite effect, I thought it would be ok to take it (this was an evening event with a meal). After eating, I began to get very sleepy and my face almost fell in my plate.
- Can i continue taking lysine while taking prednisone? (5 day prescription)
I am on a 5 day prescription of prednisone for my allergies/ear blockage. Is it safe for me during this time to continue taking my Lysine supplement?
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane. (1 answer)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the ringing in the ears. It's been about a week now and I just don't know what to do anymore. If it is the Zoloft then I can finally just stop taking it and make this stop. If anyone has an answer or knows what to do, PLEASE help. I'm at my wits end.
- Has anyone with autoimmune hepatitis tried alpha lipoic acid, milk thistle and selenium (1 answer)
Has anyone tried alpha lipoic , selenium and silybum marianum? I read an article that synergically they have anti inflammatory impact on the liver.
More questions for: Prednisone, Sleepiness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Prednisone rx 3,3,2,2,1,1 plan suicidal haunts all day
I came home from the Hospitol with a 3,3,2,2,1,1 Rx.
I took (3) and spent the rest of the day contenplating Suicide.
The rest of the Rx went in the Toilet by 7:pm.
I wonder how many this Killed.
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wasted and weak so fell several times. Had to regain strength and learn to walk again with physical therapy. Left with foggy thinking, fatigue, muscle myopathy and peripheral neuropathy. Also developed osteopenia. Afterwards was placed on hydrocortisone and Lyrica for pain. Later found liver damage.
- Gabapentin made me comatose
I took Neurontin, and then its generic, Neurontin, for about five years. It was prescribed for chronic pain. I found it ineffective, but kept being told it was a good drug, quite benign, and was probably benefiting me more than I realized. I did NOT realize that toward the end of the five-year period I was sinking into somnolence. On some days I simply didn't bother with the drug, because I felt it was ineffective, but on others I followed doctor's orders. Thus my condition varied depending on whether I'd actually ingested the drug. My condition came to a crisis when my husband called me from work, and found me incoherent. He took me to the ER, but I remember nothing about it. Apparently I was pleasant during admission, but clearly confused (I thought we had two presidents -- probably conflating George Bush with George W. Bush.) By the time doctors saw me, I was comatose. The physicians suspected morphine intoxication, as I was a chronic-pain patient. They didn't know what to do and thought I was dying. My husband told them the name of my pain- management doctor, who immediately diagnosed the problem. My kidneys were shutting down. He pointed to my creatines, which were off the chart. He told the other doctors to hydrate me fully, and leave me alone -- that I would be fine. I awoke about 10 hours later in intensive care. A nurse asked me if I knew where I was, and I replied I knew I was in the hospital but didn't know why. I was discharged the next morning, and had no lasting effects from the drug.
- Prednisone side effect: hiccups
I am taking prednisone for an allergic reaction to a bee sting. 20mg for 5 days, then 10mg for 5 days. Starting the second day, I have fairly consistent hiccups, which become more severe at night. I have also previously taken prednisone to tame a severe poison ivy rash and have had the same reaction.
Any remedies? All I found, that works sometimes, is a scoop of peanut butter, didn't work last night though...
- Prednisone mixed results-it lets me breath
have been on prednisone now for 3 years straight. Am taking 30mg a day just to breath. every time i have tried to taper off i have ended up in the emergency room unable to breath. That has been 7 times in the last year. I am 49 years old and was in good health 3-4 years ago. got a cough and it has been down hill.Prednisone worked great at first but then it starts to destroy the body.Had nasal passage surgery(waste of time)have broken many ribs from coughing.painful.when you are on prednisone your body takes 3-5 times longer to heal.craked tailbone from a slip. have seen over 12 doctors.reasonable gueswork. My best doc which is mine says do you want to suffocate to death or let your body try and fix itself if it can. im not for suffocation at all. Just a good medicine to counter the angriness of the steroid. Any ideas i am all ears. oh ya my eyes are starting to go and my joints as well
More reviews for: Prednisone, Sleepiness
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- I had a flu-like bout of unwellness approx 2 weeks before being diagnosed with Polymyalgia rheumatica. The onset was very sudden - went from being fully mobile, to developing neck/shoulder stiffness and then being fully immobile within 36 hours. Following two days of steroids, I felt much better but ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- The nausea is persistent and debilitating as is the fatigue. Nothing relieves the nausea. I was transplanted for esld Chronic Hep B but developed de novo autoimmune hepatitis with a touch of graft v. host disease.
The emotional troubles became extremely exacerbated post-transplant.
3 yrs pos ...
- he was fine till he took prednizone 10 days died the next blood labs good before after sca ,v fib then vitals normal. angioplasty, good blood flow.pacemaker installed matched up then sca died 49 yrs old
More related studies for: Prednisone, Sleepiness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.