Review: could Prednisone cause Stroke?
Summary: Stroke is found among people who take Prednisone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Rheumatoid arthritis.
We study 146,809 people who have side effects while taking Prednisone from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,746 have Stroke. Find out below who they are, when they have Stroke and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prednisone and have Stroke >>>
Prednisone has active ingredients of prednisone. It is often used in asthma. (latest outcomes from 150,124 Prednisone users)
Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 93,279 Stroke patients)
On Feb, 26, 2015: 146,792 people reported to have side effects when taking Prednisone. Among them, 1,474 people (1.00%) have Stroke.
Time on Prednisone when people have Stroke * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Stroke when taking Prednisone * :
Age of people who have Stroke when taking Prednisone * :
Severity of Stroke when taking Prednisone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Stroke ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Rheumatoid arthritis (311 people, 21.10%)
- Osteoporosis (143 people, 9.70%)
- Multiple myeloma (103 people, 6.99%)
- Hypertension (97 people, 6.58%)
- Pain (83 people, 5.63%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (432 people, 29.31%)
- Prednisone tab (406 people, 27.54%)
- Lasix (201 people, 13.64%)
- Methotrexate (200 people, 13.57%)
- Zometa (190 people, 12.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prednisone and stroke on
Do you have Stroke while taking Prednisone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Prednisone and have Stroke
- support group for people who take Prednisone
- support group for people who have Stroke
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Prednisone, Nicorette, Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide, Adderall 10, Adderall Xr 25, Crestor, Pristiq for a 59-year old woman with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Stop Smoking, Blood Pressure Inadequately Controlled, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Depression. The patient has Pain - Tooth Or Teeth
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 40-year old woman with Tinnitus. The patient has Lightheadedness (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness and/or feeling that one may be about to faint)
- A study of side effects of Prednisone for a 18-year old girl with Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Dizzy, Fast Heart Beat, Fast Heart Rate, Confused, Tired, Disoreinted,just Sick All Over.
- A study of side effects of Prednisone Intensol for a 47-year old woman with Cushing's Syndrome. The patient has Cushing's Syndrome (obesity, a rounded face, increased fat)
- A study of drug interactions between Modafinil, Doxycycline, Prednisone, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Oxycodone, Fish Oil Fatty Acid, Allegra, Zantac 150, Metformin, Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Lyrica, Cefprozil, Allopurinol for a 32-year old man with Hypersomnia, Infection, Swelling, Pain In Limb, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Allergy To Plants, Acid Reflux, High Blood Sugar, Stress, Gout. The patient has Itching, Elevated Liver Enzymes, Insulin C-peptide Increased, Complement Factor C3 Increased, Blood Uric Acid Increased, Pseudopapilloedema, Lymphadenopathy Mediastinal, Vision Blurred, Hives, Swelling, Pain Exacerbated
Recent Prednisone related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.