Review: could Prilosec cause Abdominal pain?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 10, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.4/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 59,627 people who take Prilosec. Among them, 1,905 have Abdominal pain. See who they are, when they have Abdominal pain and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Prilosec (latest outcomes from 61,423 users) has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric ulcer. Commonly reported side effects of Prilosec include nausea aggravated, nausea, pain relief by acupuncture, pain, fatigue.
Abdominal pain (latest reports from 611,393 patients) has been reported by people with birth control, high blood pressure, crohn's disease, pain, acupuncture and pain.
On Feb, 19, 2014: 57,372 people reported to have side effects when taking Prilosec. Among them, 2,941 people (5.13%) have Abdominal Pain.
Time on Prilosec when people have Abdominal pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Abdominal pain||31.25%||16.67%||17.71%||17.71%||10.42%||1.04%||5.21% |
Gender of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Prilosec * :
|Abdominal pain||68.41%||31.59% |
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Prilosec * :
|Abdominal pain||0.19%||1.04%||2.36%||7.03%||9.15%||17.37%||24.13%||38.73% |
Severity of Abdominal pain when taking Prilosec ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Abdominal pain||0.00%||64.71%||23.53%||11.76% |
How people recovered from Abdominal pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Abdominal pain||0.00%||10.00%||90.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (244 people, 8.30%)
- Pain (219 people, 7.45%)
- Osteoporosis (159 people, 5.41%)
- Hypertension (144 people, 4.90%)
- Depression (136 people, 4.62%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (441 people, 14.99%)
- Lasix (350 people, 11.90%)
- Nexium (309 people, 10.51%)
- Prednisone (308 people, 10.47%)
- Neurontin (293 people, 9.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Prilosec, Abdominal pain
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Prilosec (omeprazole) is often used for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Find out below the conditions Prilosec is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Prilosec used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Prilosec side effects from A to Z:
Browse Prilosec drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 months ago):
I have been taking Vicodin/Hydrocodone 500MG for at least 8 month I started to notice moderate pain in the abdominal area it is in the upper part, sometimes middle part it varies. Sometimes nausea develops but not so much as the discomfort in the abdominal region. Could this be due to taking Vicodin/Hydrocodone? The stomach discomfort had started almost 4 months ago and I still have it.
From this study (4 months ago):
I have been in pain and have suffered for over 7 years with muscle pain with cramping, aching, burning, stinging, pins/needles, weakness, numbness and paralysis, etc. I live with fatigue and utter exhaustion everyday and hate having to take medicine period, but have no choice in the matter. I know that this is something serious..I can feel it. I just have to get the Doctors, to find it...and fix whatever it is that is wrong.
I am trying to find what is the root cause of it all, then I might be able to find some relief.."Lord Willing". I have always been a driven individual and love life. I am a fighter and a survivor, so I will continue forward..until I find a way to the answer.
The pain level stays around 5 or 6 everyday and can be overwhelming at times, but I pray and I find relief for a moment..from The Lord. Grateful to be alive. Just want life to be normal again and to be able, to spend my time with my family that I have missed so much of.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Is it bad to take levorphanol tartrate if i have liver damage caused by hep c
I am receiving treatment from the V.A. in Los Angeles, Ca..
Last summer the va started to hint at forcing me to be seen by there pain mngt. team. Also I was to start treatment for my hep c, it was just becomming active. I knew that the interferon would be just a little stressful for aprox; one ye ...
- How to get relief from sphincter of odi disfunction
I have been diagnosed with SOD for 18 months and am trying to get relief without surgery,Can someone give me some tips on how to relieve the pain.Did any one take any medication which helped .I am thinking of asking for muscle relaxation medication.
- What medications cause hair loss
Been experiencing hair loss for several months and the loss has increased the last couple of months. My doctor ran thyroid test and it was normal. The loss has been gradual and it is not breaking off, but coming out at the root.
More questions for: Prilosec, Abdominal pain
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Febrero 2014 - daniel alberto romero
The dosis: Flecainida-Diondel: 100 mg (twice a day) - Pradaxa-Dabigatran Etexilato: 150 mg twice a day - Bisoprolol fumarato-Corbis: 2.5 mg daily
sometimes I get a chest pain and other days an acid sensation coming from the stomach. I assign these drugs as to be the cause as I never felt this wa ...
- Tonsillitis for 1 week
i suffered tonsillitisfor a week. and i lose my weight coz i kept on vomiting. we rushed into my doctor's clinic. he advised me to stay in the hospital for 3 days cause my tonsillitis was really severe. he prescribed me cefuroxime axetil via IV for further absorption and omeprazole via IV for my sto ...
- My reaction to talking sumatriptan for the first time.
after 10 minutes of taking the sumatriptan tablet i got all of the symptoms i stated and from those i developed a rare movement disorder called 'Dystonia' that has affected my right foot making me unable to walk and my right hand making me unable to write.
More reviews for: Prilosec, Abdominal pain
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Lortab, Ibuprofen, Vyvanse, Omeprazole, Cymbalta, Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with Kidney Stones, Neck Pain, Adhd, Heartburn - Chronic, Depression, Hypertension. The patient has Creatinine Urine, Ph - Urine (Urine pH), Fatigue, Dry Mouth, Thirst, Joint Pain, Bladder Pain, Nausea, Testicular Pain, Pain - Back (Back pain - low), Abdominal Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Lipitor, Omeprazole, Vicodin Hp for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol, Abdominal Discomfort, Arthritis. The patient has Abdominal Pain Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B6, Lasix, Fluticasone Propionate, Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy, Deglycyrrhized Licorice, Vitamin E, Aspirin, Multivitamin, Shatavari, Rehmannia, Omega-3, Prilosec, Hydrocortisone, Xanax, Gabapentin, Norco, Fentanyl-50 for a patient with Immune System Disorder, Vitamin D Deficiency, Muscle Pain, Inflammatory Pain, Allergic Sinusitis, Adrenal Insufficiency, Skin Disorder, Poor Peripheral Circulation, Nutritional Support, Blood In Ejaculation, Ulcer - Duodenal Or Gastric, Addison's Disease, Tremor, Fibromyalgia, Breakthrough Pain, Herniated Intervertebral Disk. The patient has Nerve Root Lesion Nos, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Ganglion, Abdominal Pain, Head Injury, Mastoid Effusion, Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Aches And Pains In Bones (Bone pain or tenderness), Paralysis (Muscle function loss), Yeast Infections And Yogurt, Muscular Weakness (Weakness), Empty Sella Syndrome, Chiari Malformation, Avm - Cerebral (Arteriovenous malformation - cerebral), Spondylosis, Degenerative Joint Disease (Osteoarthritis), Musculoskeletal Stiffness, Pain - Head (Headache), Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Lightheadedness - Fainting (Fainting), Cramps - Muscle (Muscle cramps), Vision Blurred, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness (Numbness and tingling), Dizziness, Restlessness (Agitation), Skin Burning Sensation, Migraine With Aura, Pain - Muscles (Muscle aches)
More related studies for: Prilosec, Abdominal pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.