Review: could Prilosec cause Diverticulitis?
Summary: Diverticulitis is found among people who take Prilosec, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 59,752 people who have side effects while taking Prilosec from FDA and social media. Among them, 266 have Diverticulitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Diverticulitis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Prilosec and have Diverticulitis >>>
Prilosec has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from Prilosec 61,523 users)
Diverticulitis (digestive disease which involves the formation of pouches (diverticula) within the bowel wall) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, multiple myeloma.(latest reports from Diverticulitis 10,000 patients)
On Dec, 15, 2014: 59,752 people reported to have side effects when taking Prilosec. Among them, 266 people (0.45%) have Diverticulitis.
Time on Prilosec when people have Diverticulitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Prilosec * :
Age of people who have Diverticulitis when taking Prilosec * :
Severity of Diverticulitis when taking Prilosec ** :
How people recovered from Diverticulitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (29 people, 10.90%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (28 people, 10.53%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (26 people, 9.77%)
- Hypertension (19 people, 7.14%)
- Multiple myeloma (16 people, 6.02%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (87 people, 32.71%)
- Lasix (49 people, 18.42%)
- Ambien (46 people, 17.29%)
- Lipitor (44 people, 16.54%)
- Prednisone (43 people, 16.17%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diverticulitis while taking Prilosec?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Prilosec and have Diverticulitis
- support group for people who take Prilosec
- support group for people who have Diverticulitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Prilosec, Diverticulitis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Irregular heatbeat and prilosec
I am 65 M and a long history of Moderate hypertension. I am overweight, out of shape. 15-20 years ago when I didn't take BP medicine I had occasional PVCs, heart skips a beat.
Since I have been on Metoprolol (beta blocker) and Cozaar my BP is normal and heartbeat normal.
I have been on that regimen 15-20 years.
Now or in the last weeks or 2 I notice skipped beats and irregular, fast to slow and back on occasion
Recently It was suggested I may have sleep apnea and was definitely diagnosed with bad acid reflux by an Ear nose and throat specialist.
I was told to go on 2 OTC Prevacid/day for 3 months. I instead, since I had them, went on Prilosec-- slightly different.
I have been on Prilosec 2 or so weeks maybe 3.
It clicked in my mind today that maybe there is a connection.
I have a pretty expensive pulse oximeter (electronic finger thingy) and I can actually see flat lines and skipped beats and strength of pulse. Oxygen is 90 to 94. Also I started taking aspirin out of fear
- Prednisone mixed results-it lets me breath
have been on prednisone now for 3 years straight. Am taking 30mg a day just to breath. every time i have tried to taper off i have ended up in the emergency room unable to breath. That has been 7 times in the last year. I am 49 years old and was in good health 3-4 years ago. got a cough and it has been down hill.Prednisone worked great at first but then it starts to destroy the body.Had nasal passage surgery(waste of time)have broken many ribs from coughing.painful.when you are on prednisone your body takes 3-5 times longer to heal.craked tailbone from a slip. have seen over 12 doctors.reasonable gueswork. My best doc which is mine says do you want to suffocate to death or let your body try and fix itself if it can. im not for suffocation at all. Just a good medicine to counter the angriness of the steroid. Any ideas i am all ears. oh ya my eyes are starting to go and my joints as well
- Androgel for secondary hypogonadism
Severe swelling in legs, ankles and feet after being on my feet for more than one hour. Pain in calves and ankles. Feels like they're being squeezed or compressed. Pain dissipates after laying down for a few hours. Swelling never completely dissipates. Always some swelling in ankles.
- Bone infections involving my teeth crohns and prednisone over the past 12 years
Dentist  tell me the abscesses are in the bones and I've had several root canals, bridges, bone surgeries that last 3 years, teeth became so mobile after the bone economy I had them pulled and now a partial one month ago. Bone loss etc. I don't have the ridges in my mouth that most Crohn patients have. Appears to affect the upper teeth.
Crohns diagnosed at the age of 39. Moderate to severe.
Dentists state the problem is the use of prednisone and having Crohn.
- Enoxoparine causing worsening of stiffness more weakness in ability to use his hand properly
My father had cardiac cath to check the conduction the study complicated by DVT
Given enoxoparine 8000 IU sub cut daily for 4weeks
Can I discontinue enoxoparine and give him aspirin 81mg daily
More reviews for: Prilosec, Diverticulitis
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I am a 48 yr old female diagnosed with PTSD, bipolar 2, BPD, histrionic suicidal idealation and a mess!!!
Things were going well in therapy and with my Dr. over the past 2 years on the above "cocktail" MINUS the Latuda and Lexapro.
I have had 3 very serious suicide attempts, all prior to the T ...
- I have osteoarthritis and am coeliac. I follow a gluten free diet. Recently I have developed severe stomach pain which comes on about 1 - 2 hours after eating. Ant acids and over the counter medicine such as Gaviscon don't seem to help. It goes away gradually on its own but the occasions are get ...
- I am taking only 5mg a day but as I decrease my dose to every other day, the burning and tenderness in my mouth and tongue decrease. I was told by my dentist that menopause can have a side effect of burning mouth syndrome and I have done some researching on the web about this syndrome and there isn ...
- Recently went in to treatment to get off of a hydrocodone addiction following neck surgery. The doctor staryed me on suboxone. This is the second time i was treated for this because i have been on a pain management program for neck problems. The dr drug screens me everytime i go there. While in ...
- I had some hair thinning over the past 10+ years and was told it was due to HBP and medications. Since taking phentermine and topiramate for weight loss along with the other meds hair loss has tripled at a radical rate. I stopped taking topiramate about a month ago and still the hair keeps falling ...
More related studies for: Prilosec, Diverticulitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.