Review: could Prilosec cause High blood pressure?
Summary: High blood pressure is found among people who take Prilosec, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Vioxx, and have High blood pressure.
We study 59,776 people who have side effects while taking Prilosec from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,952 have High blood pressure. Find out below who they are, when they have High blood pressure and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prilosec and have High blood pressure >>>
Prilosec has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 61,548 Prilosec users)
High blood pressure
High blood pressure has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain, rheumatoid arthritis. (latest reports from 329,841 High blood pressure patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 59,776 people reported to have side effects when taking Prilosec. Among them, 2,952 people (4.94%) have High Blood Pressure.
Time on Prilosec when people have High blood pressure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood pressure||20.34%||30.51%||6.78%||6.78%||13.56%||15.25%||6.78% |
Gender of people who have High blood pressure when taking Prilosec * :
|High blood pressure||65.60%||34.40% |
Age of people who have High blood pressure when taking Prilosec * :
|High blood pressure||0.15%||0.23%||0.15%||1.32%||4.41%||11.88%||29.71%||52.15% |
Severity of High blood pressure when taking Prilosec ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood pressure||0.00%||75.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High blood pressure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood pressure||0.00%||66.67%||33.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (352 people, 11.92%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (350 people, 11.86%)
- Pain (304 people, 10.30%)
- Osteoporosis (257 people, 8.71%)
- Depression (191 people, 6.47%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (733 people, 24.83%)
- Aspirin (710 people, 24.05%)
- Lipitor (536 people, 18.16%)
- Lasix (479 people, 16.23%)
- Zometa (435 people, 14.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prilosec and high blood pressure on
Do you have High Blood Pressure while taking Prilosec?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Prilosec and have High Blood Pressure
- support group for people who take Prilosec
- support group for people who have High Blood Pressure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 55-year old man with Barrett's Esophagus. The patient has Barrett's Esophagus (barrett's oesophagus is a disorder in which the lining of the oesophagus (the tube that carries food from the throat to the stomach) is damaged by stomach acid and changed to a lining similar to that of the stomach), Ischemic Colitis (inflammation and injury of the large intestine result from inadequate blood)
- A study of side effects of Mydriacyl for a 38-year old woman with Eye Exam - Standard. The patient has High Blood Pressure
- A study of side effects of Omeprazole for a 33-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach. The patient has Sweating - Excessive (abnormally increased sweating)
- A study of drug interactions between Qsymia, Fetzima for a 46-year old man with Weight Loss, Depression. The patient has Tremor, Confusion, Dialated Pupils, Diaphoresis, Palpation, Insomnia, Hypertension
- A study of drug interactions between Azithromycin, Methylprednisolone for a 52-year old woman with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Upper Respiratory Tract Inflammation. The patient has High Blood Pressure, Back Pain - Low, Diarrhea Associated With Medications, Insomnia, Headache - Migraine Without Aura
Recent Prilosec related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Famotidine, Omeprazole for a 67-year old man who has GERD
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole, Keppra for a 68-year old woman who has Confusion, Barrett's Esophagus
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Omeprazole, Pantoprazole for a 63-year old woman who has GE Reflux
- Comparions of Dexilant, Omeprazole, Nexium for a 65-year old woman who has Ppi
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.