Review: could Prilosec cause High blood pressure?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 18, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.5/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 59,627 people who take Prilosec. Among them, 2,807 have High blood pressure. See who they are, when they have High blood pressure and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Prilosec (latest outcomes from 59,172 users) has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric ulcer. Commonly reported side effects of Prilosec include nausea aggravated, nausea, pain relief by acupuncture, pain, fatigue.
High blood pressure
High blood pressure (latest reports from 1,141,171 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain, rheumatoid arthritis.
On Feb, 18, 2014: 57,372 people reported to have side effects when taking Prilosec. Among them, 2,807 people (4.89%) have High Blood Pressure.
Time on Prilosec when people have High blood pressure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood pressure||26.67%||28.89%||8.89%||8.89%||17.78%||2.22%||6.67% |
Gender of people who have High blood pressure when taking Prilosec * :
|High blood pressure||65.76%||34.24% |
Age of people who have High blood pressure when taking Prilosec * :
|High blood pressure||0.16%||0.24%||0.16%||1.37%||4.59%||12.16%||29.45%||51.88% |
Severity of High blood pressure when taking Prilosec ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood pressure||0.00%||50.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High blood pressure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood pressure||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (342 people, 12.18%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (325 people, 11.58%)
- Pain (300 people, 10.69%)
- Osteoporosis (233 people, 8.30%)
- Depression (191 people, 6.80%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (734 people, 26.15%)
- Aspirin (678 people, 24.15%)
- Lipitor (527 people, 18.77%)
- Lasix (464 people, 16.53%)
- Zometa (422 people, 15.03%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Prilosec, High blood pressure
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Prilosec (omeprazole) is often used for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Find out below the conditions Prilosec is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Prilosec used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Prilosec side effects from A to Z:
Browse Prilosec drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (4 weeks ago):
Depression, moderate Hypertension not controlled yet. Joint pain... Shoulder Osteoarthritis worth necrosis and bone spurs. New shoulder with in the next 5 years.
From this study (4 months ago):
Increase has been during several surgeries and recovery periods
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Prilosec, High blood pressure
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Went to dr. for high blood pressure.... dr. thought i was depressed and gave me samples of viibyrd....blood pressure kept increasing(205/117)
Made appointment with family dr. for my high blood pressure( 200/105)..he seemed to think I was depressed....He changed my blood pressure med and gave me Viibyrd...After taking one pill blood pressure increased to 227/107...Also, had like electrical shock sensations from heart..NEVER!!!!would I take ...
- High blood pressure and hot flashes
Had normalish hot flashes and night sweats since age 23. Genetically predestined for early menopause like my mother. At age 41-42 stopped menstrual cycle ...Hot flashes intensified to unbearable! would be outside in below freezing weather sweating like I was sitting in a sauna, I am now 45. I found ...
- Cardiac stress test (thalamine ) and oxycodone
I am writing this for my sister-in-law, Maria, who is not able to do so and for whom my husband, her brother, and I are the POAs. In May of 2012, Maria had a recurring pain in her leg which took her to the hospital again. She was diagnosed for a second time as having a strained muscle. Then the hosp ...
More reviews for: Prilosec, High blood pressure
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Zolpidem, Effexor, Tramadol Hydrochloride, Celebrex, Cymbalta, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Omeprazole, Atenolol, Losartan, Furosemide for a patient with Joint Injury, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Menopause Hot Flashes, Arthritis, Depression, Chronic Depression, Acid Reflux, Hypertension. The patient has Osteoarthritis Generalised, Hypertension (High blood pressure), Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, TRAVATAN Z, TraMADol, Bi-sifrol, Omeprazole, Methocarbamol, Metformin, Lamictal, Gabapentin, Furosemide, Atorvastatin Calcium, Albuterol, Acetaminophen for a patient with Nutritional Support, Glaucoma, Pain, Restless Leg Syndrome, Acid Reflux, Muscle Contracture, Diabetes Mellitus, Partial Seizures, Neuropathic Pain, Lymphedema, Hypertriglyceridaemia, Asthma, Pain Management. The patient has Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure)
- A study of drug interactions between Probiotics, Calcium, Multivitamin, Ambien, Xalatan, Timolol Maleate, Sinemet Cr, Potassium Chloride, Omeprazole, Miralax, Azilect, Synthroid, Sinemet, Enalapril Maleate, Norvasc for a patient with Indigestion, Nutritional Support, Nutrtion, Chronic Insomnia, Glaucoma, Parkinson's Disease, Hypertension, Gerd, Constipation, Thyroid Disorder. The patient has Hypertension (High blood pressure), Dyspagia, Abdominal Bloating
More related studies for: Prilosec, High blood pressure
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.