From FDA reports: Prilosec and Pernicious anaemia
This is a study of Pernicious anaemia among people who take Prilosec. The study analyzes: the time on Prilosec when people have Pernicious anaemia, gender and age of these people, the severity of Pernicious anaemia, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Prilosec. In total 56,586 Prilosec users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: a drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question? On eHealthMe, we invite your personal health network to answer your question. Start now
Prilosec has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is used in gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastric ulcer, reflux gastritis, abdominal pain, indigestion. Commonly reported side effects of Prilosec include nausea, pain, fatigue, chest pain, weakness.
Pernicious anaemia has been reported by people with osteoporosis, hypothyroidism, osteopenia, depression, high blood pressure.
On Jun, 20, 2013: 56,586 people reported to have side effects when taking Prilosec. Among them, 19 people (0.03%) have Pernicious Anaemia.
Time on Prilosec when people have Pernicious anaemia * :
Gender of people who have Pernicious anaemia when taking Prilosec * :
|Pernicious anaemia||65.00%||35.00% |
Age of people who have Pernicious anaemia when taking Prilosec * :
|Pernicious anaemia||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||17.65%||0.00%||35.29%||23.53%||23.53% |
Severity of Pernicious anaemia when taking Prilosec ** :
How people recovered from Pernicious anaemia ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Ulcer (6 people, 31.58%)
- Asthma (6 people, 31.58%)
- Relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (6 people, 31.58%)
- Hypothyroidism (6 people, 31.58%)
- Nausea (5 people, 26.32%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Albuterol (6 people, 31.58%)
- Betaseron (6 people, 31.58%)
- Prozac (6 people, 31.58%)
- Effexor (6 people, 31.58%)
- Prilosec otc (5 people, 26.32%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether pernicious anaemia is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Prilosec (omeprazole) is often used for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Find out below the conditions Prilosec is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Prilosec used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Prilosec side effects from A to Z:
Browse Prilosec drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Related personalized Q&As (what is this?):
- Ok, it shows that omeprazole (prilosec) and gabapentin (neurontin) can cause abnormal thyroid labs. but what exactly? does cause hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism or did cause a false reading?
(for a 79 year old man who has GERD, Peripheral Neuropathy, and takes Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Lorazepam, Levothyroxine Sodium)
What specific abnormalities on the thyroid labs were caused by gabapentin and omeprazole? Did they cause a hyper or hypo thyroid state? Did they cause a false low TSH when patients were actually more hypothyroid?..as in it impaired the body's use of the thyroid hormones?
Thx for any info
(Members of the personal health network: 6,386)
- The last 3 years i have been experiences excessive sweating when doing minor things. this is new for me. i have a history of crohn's disease and have developed arthritis the last 4 years.
(for a 62 year old man who has Arhtritis, Crohn's Disease, Sweating - Excessive, and takes Pramipexole Dihydrochloride, Sulfasalazine, Effexor, Atenolol, Folic Acid, Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride W/ Atropine Sulfate, Methotrexate, Omeprazole, Celebrex)
I have dealt with Crohn's disease for 40 years. I've had several bowel resections, and live with diarrhea. Within the last 5 years I developed severe arthritis in my feet. The doctors felt everything is auto-immune related. I had the bone in both feet fused to lessen the pain. For the past 4 years I ...
(Members of the personal health network: 4,366)
- Long term use of mycophenolate to treat aip type2
(for a 69 year old man who has Type 2 Diabetes, Autoimmune Pancreatitis Type 2, and takes Mycophenolate Mofetil, Lantus, Novolog, Omeprazole, Zenpep, Metoprolol Tartrate, Lisinopril)
Diagnosed with AIP type 2 two years ago....was on predisone for year and half....had 2 relapses....now stable in remission. Been on mycophenolate for over 2 years now.....any info out there on long term use of this drug for AIP type 2 and on AIP type 2 in general. Thank you.
(Members of the personal health network: 3,977)
Recent related drug checks on eHealthMe:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- Tyrosine, Adderall 15, Effexor Xr, Librium for a 24-year old man who has ADD, Depression (6 minutes ago)
- Celexa for a 36-year old man who has Depression (12 minutes ago)
- Lamictal, Metformin, Pristiq for a 31-year old woman who has Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Depression (12 minutes ago)
- Zanaflex, Inderal, Lisinopril, Fioricet, Vistaril, Valium, Wellbutrin Xl for a 27-year old man who has Pain - Muscles, Anxiety Disorder, Hypertension, Migraine, Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition, Panic Disorder (25 minutes ago)
- Aripiprazole for a 28-year old woman who has Pychosis (1 hour ago)
- Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Biotin for a 32-year old woman who has Vitamin D Deficiency, Overall Health, Hair Growth (1 hour ago)
- Prednisone for a 50-year old man who has Gout (2 hours ago)
- Crestor, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Atacand for a 49-year old man who has Cholesterol, Heart Disease, Hypertension (2 hours ago)
- Meloxicam for a 56-year old woman who has Osteoarthritis (3 hours ago)
- Depo-provera, Nicorette, Phentermine, Xanax, Lisinopril for a 33-year old woman who has Birth Control, Cessation Of Smoking, Obesity, Anxiety, Hypertension (4 hours ago)