Review: could Propecia cause High cholesterol (High Blood Cholesterol)?
Summary: High cholesterol is found among people who take Propecia, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Proscar, and have Alopecia.
We study 4,270 people who have side effects while taking Propecia from FDA and social media. Among them, 43 have High cholesterol. Find out below who they are, when they have High cholesterol and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Propecia and have High cholesterol >>>
Propecia has active ingredients of finasteride. It is often used in hair loss. (view latest outcomes from 4,384 users)
High cholesterol has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, osteopenia.(view latest reports from 171,209 patients)
On Nov, 20, 2014: 4,268 people reported to have side effects when taking Propecia. Among them, 43 people (1.01%) have High Cholesterol.
Time on Propecia when people have High cholesterol * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High cholesterol||4.35%||0.00%||8.70%||4.35%||47.83%||0.00%||34.78% |
Age of people who have High cholesterol when taking Propecia * :
|High cholesterol||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.22%||8.89%||60.00%||20.00%||8.89% |
Severity of High cholesterol when taking Propecia ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High cholesterol||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High cholesterol ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High cholesterol||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Alopecia (26 people, 60.47%)
- Androgenetic alopecia (13 people, 30.23%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (4 people, 9.30%)
- Male pattern baldness (3 people, 6.98%)
- Endocrine disorder (1 people, 2.33%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Proscar (13 people, 30.23%)
- Crestor (5 people, 11.63%)
- Lipitor (5 people, 11.63%)
- Aspirin (5 people, 11.63%)
- Folic acid (4 people, 9.30%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have High Cholesterol while taking Propecia?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Propecia and have High Cholesterol
- support group for people who take Propecia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Do others have nasal congestion from the drug
i especially notice these symptoms after eating a meal
- Is invokana same family as anakinra/if so, what are their functions?
I have tinnitus (left ear-14 yrs). Don't want to take (drug) that might be ototoxic. thanks
- Can long-term methadone use cause or increase the risk of colon cancer?
I had a two-level spinal fusion at L4-S1 in 2000 after being injuried at work in Sept. 24, 1997. I lost everything after...the unjury, ability to do my job, my wife and family (couldn't take the strain) my home, my sense of self and purpose, direction and belonging...credit rating and ability to pay my bills.
After a long period of waiting to settle my workmens' comp. case, I returned home, from the Bat Area back to Arizona to take of my mother with a yet un dianosed case of moderate dementia.
Then, in 2011 I had a 2nd surgery to relieve spinal stenosis btwn. L2-L4, just above the fusion site.
I've been taking methadone since early 2004, a little over ten years, now. I've had high blood pressure since my injury.
Now, I waiting to be scheduled for a colonoscopy, with my father having had polyps and the way I've been feeling..drained, tired all the time, and stomach pains ( in addition to my chronic low back pain), I...
find myself wondering if there is any relationtionship between the methadone and other meds and cancer?
- Can i get constipation from plavix several months down the road?
Doctor put me on Plavix to reduce Cholesterol. What I think happened was several months later after starting, I got bad constipation from the drug. Doctor can't understand - it sounds like he thinks the side effects should have happened when I started the med and to have this kind of side effect later on is impossible. So many other factors came in to play during my doctor visit - and because I didn't make notes- when I was grilled on why I wasn't taking meds (because I couldn't remember) it made me look like a fool and as a result my Cardiologist dropped me for care.
- Is it safe to take effexor and ibuprophen?
Have sinus infection which I'm taking doxycycline and ibuprophen for headache. I also take Venlafaxine for GAD. Is it okay to take Advil or acetaminophen while taking venlafaxine, not at the same time??
More questions for: Propecia, High cholesterol
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Finasteride and knee swelling
taken finasteride 1 mg since 5 years, knee swelling both sides since 1,5 years. MRT without pathologic findings. stopped finasteride since 3 weeks. No more Knee swelling.
- Chills associated with ibuprophen (1 response)
I generally respond well to medication. I am a senior who has chronic pain from a c1-c2 fusion. Codeine works well, and I don't use a lot. Still, I sought alternatives to opiates for nerve pain. I lice in a colder climate. It took me quite a while to associate susceptibility to becoming chilled with Ibuprophen. I thought it was age and/or the weather. Perhaps these are factors; but it happens every time I use Ibuprophen. I share this hoping it can help others.
- Enoxoparine causing worsening of stiffness more weakness in ability to use his hand properly
My father had cardiac cath to check the conduction the study complicated by DVT
Given enoxoparine 8000 IU sub cut daily for 4weeks
Can I discontinue enoxoparine and give him aspirin 81mg daily
- Lump in throat, swallowing problems, reflux
After 3 months, my total cholesterol went way down, but developed terrible throat problems. Like an ever-present lump that made it difficult to swallow. At night, discomfort with acid going up and down my throat all night, making it hard to sleep and breathe. Stopped taking Simvastatin on my own (doctor said it was not the cause) and within 3-4 days, the throat problems totally resolved and have not come back. Also had many leg-cramps when using it.
- Allergic reaction to lipitor
Took 10mg of Atorvastatin for 3 days to reduce choldesterol LDL below 100. I felt peculiar from the first day, however by the 3rd dosage day I came home from work in a state of extreme pain in my hands and limbs. This rather quickly became systemic and I was unable to get out of bed. I was beyond exhausted. I had taken Crestor sucessfully for almost 3 months after a stent procedure but because of insurance issues was switched to this cholesterol medicatyion. My wife contatced the on call cardiologist who expressed concern and discontined the medication. The following morning my hands were swollen and so was my throat and tongue...I was lucky it did not become more severe. I also developed a rash on my hands and arms and legs and torso which was itchy. This was cleary an allergic reaction. After speaking with my cardiologist and the Cardiac nurse that works with him it is apparent that I had a realtively serious reaction. It has taken me more than a week to feel semi normal.
More reviews for: Propecia, High cholesterol
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- After taking Lipitor, then taking Crestor combined with Niaspan, I began to feel muscle and joint pain. Doctor decided to check my CK levels and found them to be highly elevated and told me to stop taking everything and to drink lots of water.Muscle biopsy was inconclusive but showed some symptoms o ...
- Took synthroid after birth of daugther, 12 years ago. Eventually came off synthroid while takine kelp and selenium. Joint aches and pains, especially knees and elbows. TSH 4.22, which has doubled since starting methotrexate.
- These days, my forgetfulness is more severe than ever, which makes me consider about taking Propecia continually.
I am just waiting for the experiment result(post finasteride syndrome) which is now being conducted by Harvard University Medical Center and Baylor University.
- I have been using oxy/aceta for 3 plus yearsI only take one or two per week for really bad migraines - last year my LDL cholestrol was 170 - this week it is 201 - never, ever has my ldl been that high - it seemed to start rising with the Imitrex in 1996 ( two yrs after taking it) now it is throug ...
- Have been on these medications for 12+ years. Have had high cholesterol levels. Doctor has had me on various statins but have severe muscle pain on them. Am concerned that the drugs I am taking are contributing to the high numbers for cholesterol. What would be the best solutions for lowering th ...
More related studies for: Propecia, High cholesterol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.