Review: could Protonix cause High potassium (Hyperkalemia)?
Summary: High potassium is found among people who take Protonix, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 34,678 people who have side effects while taking Protonix from FDA and social media. Among them, 441 have High potassium. Find out below who they are, when they have High potassium and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Protonix and have High potassium >>>
Protonix has active ingredients of pantoprazole sodium. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from Protonix 35,598 users)
High potassium (damage to or disease of the kidney) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, pain, cardiac failure.(latest reports from High potassium 26,043 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 34,674 people reported to have side effects when taking Protonix. Among them, 441 people (1.27%) have High Potassium.
Time on Protonix when people have High potassium * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High potassium||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have High potassium when taking Protonix * :
|High potassium||50.90%||49.10% |
Age of people who have High potassium when taking Protonix * :
|High potassium||0.26%||0.00%||1.04%||1.82%||3.64%||15.32%||22.86%||55.06% |
Severity of High potassium when taking Protonix ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High potassium||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High potassium ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (51 people, 11.56%)
- Atrial fibrillation (28 people, 6.35%)
- Hypertension (27 people, 6.12%)
- Pain (22 people, 4.99%)
- Bone disorder (14 people, 3.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (190 people, 43.08%)
- Lasix (144 people, 32.65%)
- Digoxin (137 people, 31.07%)
- Coumadin (116 people, 26.30%)
- Plavix (112 people, 25.40%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have High Potassium while taking Protonix?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Protonix and have High Potassium
- support group for people who take Protonix
- support group for people who have High Potassium
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Protonix, High potassium
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Skyrocketing cholesterol 6 mo on pantoprazole
My primary care physician prescribed pantoprazole 40 mg per day in mid November 2013 and at the same time gave me results of my lipid panel telling me I should improve my cholesterol and tryglyceride numbers. He also prescribed Omega 3 supplements 2000 mg/day, along with dietary modifications. In June 2014, my lipid panel was rerun. Cholesterol increased by 60, tryglycerides increased by 800. Yes, 800. HDLs dropped by 5. Cholesterol ratio was 9.0 despite my adherence to prescribed regimen. I had also gone to a GI to confirm stomach ulcer being treated by pantoprazole. Asked about long term use. He said as a PPI it was among the safest medications that could be prescribed and that I could take it indefinitely if needed. No one ever told me pantoprazole could increase cholesterol.
- Pantoprazole dry eyes
started at 5 days after starting the treatment. no other medications or suplements taken. tear drops do not help. putting a tiny amount of stJohn's worth oil at the bottom of the eyes provokes tears and gives a better result. will consider changing the medication for my acid reflux condition.
- Pantopraz sod 40mg,retaining alot of fluids
I am retaining a lot of fluids from my hips and down to my feet and believe its from taking pantoprazole,and I mean everything,its scary,has anyone been down this road?
- Mirena and iritis connection??
Was healthy 31yrway old with 3mothe baby when iritis began. It lasted nearly 15moas never fully healing before flaring again. Otho considered Methotrexate it was so bad and life altering buying was breast feeding. Maybe could have treated differently if not nursing but with my baby's GI issues breastfeeding and a strict dairy, soy, casein, whey-free diet was best option.
Meanwhile a few months into having Mirna I began with uterine cramping so bad I was unable to sleep. Chose to suffer through for I think about 8mo before getting it removed as I paid cash $1500 for the device placement and troubleshooting no thanks to insurance. Couldn't take it, finally removed. Last flare of iritis began shortly after removal so unsure if the two were related. I have no underlying inflammatory or other disease as proven by a full rheum work uptrying to figure out the causes of my pains.
Still puzzled. IUD is only real reliable birth control option for me now nursing baby #2, my body would not tolerate another pregnancy.
More reviews for: Protonix, High potassium
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- Stage IV breast cancer with mets to bones. C5 in neck collapse. No surgery. Bone mets are significant in skull and neck. Symptoms are neck and shoulder pain, taking methadone for this. Severe fatigue and lethargy especially after zometa infusion. Zometa infusion every 3 months.
- I was diagnosed with hiatal hernea 5 years ago via an endoscopy, which was done due to chronic complaints of the feeling of choking on "a ball of phlem in my throat", which turned out to be acid due to hernea. I have been taking pantoprazole nightly since then and it helps immensely. I have acid i ...
- I have been taking the prednisone 20 mg once a day for help in fighting off infection. My doctor is concerned about the high blood potassium levels and is wanting blood tests sometimes twice a week. I weigh 90 lbs and am 5'4".
More related studies for: Protonix, High potassium
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.