Review: could Prozac cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Prozac, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Neurontin, and have Depression.
We study 39,060 people who have side effects while taking Prozac from FDA and social media. Among them, 415 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Prozac and have Hair loss >>>
Prozac has active ingredients of fluoxetine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 42,356 Prozac users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,762 Hair loss patients)
On Apr, 14, 2015: 39,047 people reported to have side effects when taking Prozac. Among them, 415 people (1.06%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Prozac when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||0.00%||27.78%||5.56%||11.11%||33.33%||5.56%||16.67% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Prozac * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.30%||4.48%||6.57%||11.64%||22.09%||26.27%||28.66% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Prozac ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||7.69%||38.46%||46.15%||7.69% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (42 people, 10.12%)
- Anxiety (19 people, 4.58%)
- Osteoporosis (16 people, 3.86%)
- Multiple sclerosis (16 people, 3.86%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (15 people, 3.61%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Neurontin (52 people, 12.53%)
- Prilosec (52 people, 12.53%)
- Aspirin (49 people, 11.81%)
- Synthroid (45 people, 10.84%)
- Premarin (42 people, 10.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of prozac and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Prozac?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Prozac and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Prozac
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Diazepam for a 32-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Valium, Cymbalta, Prozac for a 42-year old woman with Sleepy, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Disorder. The patient has Anhedonia, Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Bupropion Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine for a 31-year old man with Low Motivation, Depression.
- A study of drug interactions between Centrum, Biotin, Lexapro, Vitamin D, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Losartan for a 65-year old woman with Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Hair Growth Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder, Vitamin D Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Hair Loss, Night Sweats
- A study of drug interactions between B-12, Mucinex, Sudafed, Proair Hfa, Dulera, Zyrtec, Prednisone, Prozac for a 38-year old woman with Vitamin B Complex Deficiency, Allergic Sinusitis, Sinusitis, Asthma, Allergy, Sinusitis Acute, Depression. The patient has Accessory Nipples
Recent Prozac related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Fluoxetine, Sertraline for a 46-year old man who has Panic Disorder
- Comparions of Abilify, Wellbutrin Xl, Prozac for a 33-year old man who has Depression
- Comparions of Celexa, Prozac for a 41-year old man who has Stress And Anxiety
- Comparions of Sertraline, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Prozac, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Lexapro for a 69-year old man who has Depression, Anxiety, Panic Disorders
- Comparions of Prozac, Cymbalta for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.