Review: could Ranitidine cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Ranitidine, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Citalopram, and have Diabetes.
We study 498 people who have side effects while taking Ranitidine from FDA and social media. Among them, 9 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Ranitidine and have Hair loss >>>
Ranitidine has active ingredients of ranitidine. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from 1,027 Ranitidine users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Feb, 28, 2015: 490 people reported to have side effects when taking Ranitidine. Among them, 9 people (1.84%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Ranitidine when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||28.57%||0.00%||0.00%||42.86%||28.57%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Ranitidine * :
|Hair loss||85.71%||14.29% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Ranitidine * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||14.29%||0.00%||28.57%||28.57%||28.57% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Ranitidine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||71.43%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Diabetes (2 people, 22.22%)
- Sleep disorder due to general medical condition, insomnia type (2 people, 22.22%)
- Hypertension (2 people, 22.22%)
- Ge reflux (2 people, 22.22%)
- Anxiety (2 people, 22.22%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Citalopram (2 people, 22.22%)
- Centrum (2 people, 22.22%)
- Frontal xr (2 people, 22.22%)
- Frontal (2 people, 22.22%)
- Borago officinalis (2 people, 22.22%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of ranitidine and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Ranitidine?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Ranitidine and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Ranitidine
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Ranitidine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Ranitidine, Famotidine for a 67-year old man who has GERD
- Comparions of Prilosec, Ranitidine for a 68-year old man who has GERD
- Comparions of Prevacid, Ranitidine, Prilosec Otc for a 41-year old man who has Hiatal Hernia
- Comparions of Bromhexine Hydrochloride, Ranitidine, Tramadol, Azithromycin, Amoxicillin And Clavulanate Potassium for a 57-year old man who has Parapneumonic Pulmonary Effusion
- Comparions of Ranitidine, Omeprazole, Dexilant for a 62-year old woman who has GERD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.