Review: could Ritalin cause Bipolar disorder?
Summary: Bipolar disorder is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, also take medication Seroquel, and have Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
We study 9,715 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 94 have Bipolar disorder. Find out below who they are, when they have Bipolar disorder and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar disorder >>>
Ritalin has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. (latest outcomes from 11,226 Ritalin users)
Bipolar disorder (mood disorder) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, pain. (latest reports from 46,911 Bipolar disorder patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 9,715 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 100 people (1.03%) have Bipolar Disorder.
Time on Ritalin when people have Bipolar disorder * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||6.25%||6.25%||0.00%||12.50%||75.00% |
Gender of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||40.91%||59.09% |
Age of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||5.33%||24.00%||9.33%||8.00%||20.00%||33.33%||0.00% |
Severity of Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Bipolar disorder ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (35 people, 35.00%)
- Bipolar disorder (14 people, 14.00%)
- Sleep disorder (9 people, 9.00%)
- Asthma (6 people, 6.00%)
- Depression (6 people, 6.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (23 people, 23.00%)
- Zoloft (18 people, 18.00%)
- Prozac (17 people, 17.00%)
- Wellbutrin (16 people, 16.00%)
- Paxil (12 people, 12.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of ritalin and bipolar disorder on
Do you have Bipolar Disorder while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar Disorder
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Bipolar Disorder
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Proventil-hfa, Symbicort, Metoprolol Tartrate, Ritalin, Effexor Xr, Mirtazapine, Clonazepam for a 43-year old woman with Acute Upper Airway Obstruction, High Blood Pressure, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity, Depression, Restless Leg Syndrome. The patient has High Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Anturol, Tramadol, Hydroxyzine, Wellbutrin, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Succinate, Levoxyl, Trileptal, Topiramate for a 44-year old woman with Panic Attacks, Overactive Bladder, Tension Headaches, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Adhd, Gerd, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Leg And Arm Numbness (upper Arms), Exhaustion
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a 42-year old woman with Disturbance In Attention. The patient has Chest Discomfort
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Pepcid Ac, Aspirin, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Calcium, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Metoprolol Succinate, Advair Diskus 100/50, Concerta, Imiquimod for a 53-year old man with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Acid Reflux, General Physical Health Deterioration, Allergy, Constipation, High Blood Pressure, Asthma, Adhd, Plantar Warts. The patient has Blood Potassium Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
Recent Ritalin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.