Home > Ritalin > Bipolar disorder > Ritalin and Bipolar disorder
Review: could Ritalin cause Bipolar disorder?
Summary: Bipolar disorder is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are male, 50-59 old, also take medication Seroquel, and have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
We study 9,685 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 93 have Bipolar disorder. Find out below who they are, when they have Bipolar disorder and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar disorder >>>
Ritalin (latest outcomes from 11,193 users) has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Bipolar disorder (mood disorder) (latest reports from 78,946 patients) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, pain.
On Oct, 28, 2014: 9,675 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 99 people (1.02%) have Bipolar Disorder.
Time on Ritalin when people have Bipolar disorder * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||6.25%||6.25%||0.00%||12.50%||75.00% |
Gender of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||40.37%||59.63% |
Age of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||5.41%||24.32%||9.46%||8.11%||20.27%||32.43%||0.00% |
Severity of Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Bipolar disorder ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (35 people, 35.35%)
- Bipolar disorder (13 people, 13.13%)
- Sleep disorder (9 people, 9.09%)
- Asthma (6 people, 6.06%)
- Hypersomnia (5 people, 5.05%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (22 people, 22.22%)
- Zoloft (18 people, 18.18%)
- Prozac (17 people, 17.17%)
- Wellbutrin (16 people, 16.16%)
- Paxil (12 people, 12.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bipolar Disorder while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar Disorder
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Bipolar Disorder
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Will the shaking stop or get worse
(Asked by a 18 year old girl who has Bipolar Disorder, and takes Lithium Carbonate)
Why do I shake and why must I take Epilizine as well
- The appetite suppressant effects of ephedrine have worn off just starting concerta will it suppress my appetite?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who takes Concerta)
Just wondering if I have developed tolerance to ephedrine (quantified as a return of appetite) will the stimulant effects of concerta work on me
- Can you split the tablet of limitical 200mg?
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Sweating - Excessive, and takes Ritalin La)
I have taken 150mg or 200mg of lamitical for 25 years. I am now spliting the 200 tablet in half to make 300mg. Started sweating big time.
- Is it safe to take unisom on top of vyvanse
(Asked by a 37 year old woman who has Wired , Exhausted , and takes Ritalin, Vyvanse )
I have took 5 ritalin 20mg and 2 30 mg vyvanse since early this morning. It is now 1:00in the morning, I'm very tired. I have 2 toddlers that I have to take carevof. Just wanting to know if it is ok to take some unison now so I can get some sleep
- Effects taking lamictal abilify and pristiq
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has Blackouts Seizure, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Abilify, Lamictal, Pristiq)
Although I take these three drugs I am still experiencing symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite Are these symptoms perhaps side effects of these grubs?
More questions for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
(Posted by a 18 year old boy who has (FR) TDAH, and takes Ritalin)
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam at all...
- Restless leg syndrome exasporation while on lovastatim.
(Posted by a 56 year old woman who has Bipolar Disorder, Increase Of Restless Leg Syndromeg, and takes Lovastatin)
I have been taking Lovastatin for 4 months and have had an increase in my Restless Leg Syndrome. It usually acts up in the afternoon when I'm relaxing. The symptoms seem to go away with rhythmic movement of the affected leg. Usually it is in only one leg at a time. I have also noted a fine tremo ...
- Bipolar patient extremely violent on seraquel
(Posted by a 41 year old woman who has Bipolar, and takes Seroquel)
I have been diagnosed bipolar for over 10 years. 3 years ago I was taken off of topamax and my seraquel was upped to 300 mg from 100 because I was pregnant. I was very violent! Punching, breaking stuff, in jail, in the psych ward. Yes pregnancy and bipolar are not a perfect combination. I too thoug ...
- Lexapro and memory loss
(Posted by a 23 year old woman who has PTSD, Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Lexapro)
I actually have no idea what other medicine I was on the week I took Lexapro, it was back at the end of February 2014 right before I checked myself into the psych hospital. I formed no memory for a whole week just because of one drug! My friends and family tell me what happened that week and I have ...
- How saphris causedmy husbands death
(Posted by a 60 year old man who has Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and takes Saphris)
My husband was given saphris to treat bipolar disorder in June, 2010. After taking it for two weeks,the dosage was increased. On July 29, 2010, he started having hallucinations and before I could get help (we lived in rural area), he committed suicide.
More reviews for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
- A study of drug interactions between Methamphetamine Hydrochloride, Strattera, Ritalin, Phentermine, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Zorvolex, Olanzapine, Seroquel Xr, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Perindopril Erbumine, Lamotrigine, Mirtazapine for a patient with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obesity, Insomnia, Arthritis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Bipolar 1, Major Depressive Disorder, Tachycardia, Sleeplessness, Diabetes, Obesity, Attention Deficit/hyperactivity Disorder, Insomnia, Generalised Anxiety Disorder
Comments: i'm pretty much the most comlex case 4 psychiatrists, 3 psychologists, a nuero scientist/adult mood disorder specialised doctor, 3 gp's, 2 naturopaths and an adhd specialist have ever come accross. i'm basically a pharmacy on legs with over 32types of medications tried in 13 months including those i ...
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall 10, Ritalin, Bitter Orange, Ginseng, Panax, Caffeine Anhydrous, Losartan for a patient with Narcolepsy, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Muscle Spasms
Comments: ***comments for Modafinil only***
I do not mix my meds. I take only 1 med a day however it is prescribed. The Adderall and or Ritalin only last 3 or 4 hours and it's not worth taking. I've been on the natural supplements all my life and except for occasional kidney discomfort I have been thankful t ...
- A study of drug interactions between Citalopram Hydrobromide, Ritalin, Glyburide, Metformin Hydrochloride for a patient with Anxiety, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes. The patient has Sinus Congestion
Comments: I started have dry sinuses this past summer. Then it was congested all the time. So my doctor referred me to a specialist. I have seen him 3 times and he just gave me nasonex. It just eases the congestion but it doesnt solve it. There seems to be no moisture at all in the my nose. I bougth a hum ...
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Metformin, Concerta for a patient with Hypertension, Pcos, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The patient has Self-induced Vomiting, Chronic Depression, Anxiety, Self Mutilation, Appetite - Decreased, Suicidal Behaviour, Irritability
Comments: * Pre-Diabetic
* 201 lbs
* Two 18mg of Concerta (Morning dosage)
* 1 Metformin (Night dose -- not taken every night)
I'm worried about my appetite. For a while now I have been noticing a decrease-- I barely eat. The trouble is determining whether it is the medication I take, an eating disorder ...
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a patient with ADHD. The patient has Vomiting
Comments: My child started Concerta on Monday, one week ago. Very effective with the hyperactivity and attention effects but on Wednesday he complained about being nauseous the whole day and started vomiting severely yesterday. He has not been able to hold down any liquid, electrolyte solution or any food a ...
More related studies for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Tikosyn and Trazodone
- Xarelto and Muscle Pain
- Methimazole and Thrombophlebitis
- Zyprexa and Infertility
- Biotin and Vaginal Discharge
- Can i take melatonin if i take prograf?
I take Prograf to prevent organ rejection in a liver trans ... (4 hours ago)
- What medication can i add to viibryd
Answer: I have, ADHD, depression, anxiety and recently diagnosed w ... (8 hours ago)
- What would be alternative for oxycontin 10 mg tablets?
Urine retention , I wake up with chronic pain in my lower ... (10 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam ... (4 hours ago)
- Tingling feet and hands
I have used flagyl 3 times and after stopping the use of t ... (9 hours ago)
- Urea urine increased while taking topamax
I was on Topamax to lose weight. It worked for me, I lost ... (2 days ago)