Home > Ritalin > Bipolar disorder > Ritalin and Bipolar disorder
Review: could Ritalin cause Bipolar disorder?
We study 9,685 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 99 have Bipolar disorder. Find out below who they are, when they have Bipolar disorder and more.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar disorder >>>
Ritalin (latest outcomes from 11,175 users) has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Bipolar disorder (mood disorder) (latest reports from 79,816 patients) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, pain.
On Oct, 28, 2014: 9,675 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 99 people (1.02%) have Bipolar Disorder.
Time on Ritalin when people have Bipolar disorder * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||6.25%||6.25%||0.00%||12.50%||75.00% |
Gender of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||40.37%||59.63% |
Age of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||5.41%||24.32%||9.46%||8.11%||20.27%||32.43%||0.00% |
Severity of Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Bipolar disorder ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (35 people, 35.35%)
- Bipolar disorder (13 people, 13.13%)
- Sleep disorder (9 people, 9.09%)
- Asthma (6 people, 6.06%)
- Hypersomnia (5 people, 5.05%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (22 people, 22.22%)
- Zoloft (18 people, 18.18%)
- Prozac (17 people, 17.17%)
- Wellbutrin (16 people, 16.16%)
- Paxil (12 people, 12.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bipolar Disorder while taking Ritalin?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar Disorder
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Bipolar Disorder
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Restless leg syndrome exasporation while on lovastatim.
I have been taking Lovastatin for 4 months and have had an increase in my Restless Leg Syndrome. It usually acts up in the afternoon when I'm relaxing. The symptoms seem to go away with rhythmic movement of the affected leg. Usually it is in only one leg at a time. I have also noted a fine tremo ...
- Bipolar patient extremely violent on seraquel
I have been diagnosed bipolar for over 10 years. 3 years ago I was taken off of topamax and my seraquel was upped to 300 mg from 100 because I was pregnant. I was very violent! Punching, breaking stuff, in jail, in the psych ward. Yes pregnancy and bipolar are not a perfect combination. I too thoug ...
- Lexapro and memory loss
I actually have no idea what other medicine I was on the week I took Lexapro, it was back at the end of February 2014 right before I checked myself into the psych hospital. I formed no memory for a whole week just because of one drug! My friends and family tell me what happened that week and I have ...
More reviews for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
On eHealthMe, Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) is often used for narcolepsy. Find out below the conditions Ritalin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Ritalin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Recent related drug studies:
More related studies for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
Recent Ritalin related drug comparison:
More related comparison studies for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Phenylalanine, Adderall Xr 30 for a 34-year old woman who has Depression, Disturbance In Attention (42 minutes ago)
- Creon for a 59-year old man who has Pancreatic Insufficiency (44 minutes ago)
- Ibuprofen, Vitamin B12, Atorvastatin Calcium, Vitamin D, Levothyroxine Sodium, Fioricet, Dexilant, Prozac for a 68-year old woman who has Bone And Joint Pain, Fatigue, High Blood Cholesterol, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Thyroid Disorder, Migraine, GERD, Depression (2 hours ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Disturbance In Attention and Weight Gain
- Weight Gain and Depression
- Adderall Xr 30
Recent user comments
- "She has never had any behavior problems until 2 month ... " (4 hours ago)
- "I've taken oxybutynin for 20+ years. Some 10 years ag ... " (5 hours ago)
im not sure if l-lycine or l-arginine are re ... " (5 hours ago)
- Hiv Test False Positive
- Slurred Speech
- Yaw Root
- Blood Calcium Increased
- Tis U Sol