Home > Ritalin > Bipolar disorder > Ritalin and Bipolar disorder
Review: could Ritalin cause Bipolar disorder?
We study 9,675 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 98 have Bipolar disorder. Find out below who they are, when they have Bipolar disorder and more.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar disorder >>>
Ritalin (latest outcomes from 11,171 users) has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Bipolar disorder (mood disorder) (latest reports from 79,815 patients) has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety, pain.
On Sep, 24, 2014: 9,671 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 98 people (1.01%) have Bipolar Disorder.
Time on Ritalin when people have Bipolar disorder * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||0.00%||6.67%||0.00%||0.00%||13.33%||80.00% |
Gender of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||40.74%||59.26% |
Age of people who have Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin * :
|Bipolar disorder||0.00%||5.48%||24.66%||9.59%||6.85%||20.55%||32.88%||0.00% |
Severity of Bipolar disorder when taking Ritalin ** :
How people recovered from Bipolar disorder ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (35 people, 35.71%)
- Bipolar disorder (13 people, 13.27%)
- Sleep disorder (9 people, 9.18%)
- Asthma (6 people, 6.12%)
- Depression (5 people, 5.10%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (22 people, 22.45%)
- Zoloft (18 people, 18.37%)
- Prozac (17 people, 17.35%)
- Wellbutrin (16 people, 16.33%)
- Paxil (12 people, 12.24%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Bipolar Disorder while taking Ritalin?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- group for people who take Ritalin and have Bipolar Disorder
- group for people who take Ritalin
- group for people who have Bipolar Disorder
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 days ago):
Concerta XL = 108 mg (morning)
Depakote 500 mg (afternoon)
Promethazine 25mg (Night)
From this study (6 days ago):
After two weeks of taking ritalin every couple of day, rash developed all over body overnight. Looks like razor burn.
From this study (7 days ago):
I am most concerned with the recent feeling 3 months ago of things crawling and biting my skin when nothing is there and it has been getting worst as time has gone on.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- Can you split the tablet of limitical 200mg?
I have taken 150mg or 200mg of lamitical for 25 years. I am now spliting the 200 tablet in half to make 300mg. Started sweating big time.
- Is it safe to take unisom on top of vyvanse
I have took 5 ritalin 20mg and 2 30 mg vyvanse since early this morning. It is now 1:00in the morning, I'm very tired. I have 2 toddlers that I have to take carevof. Just wanting to know if it is ok to take some unison now so I can get some sleep
- Effects taking lamictal abilify and pristiq
Although I take these three drugs I am still experiencing symptoms of lethargy, lack of appetite Are these symptoms perhaps side effects of these grubs?
More questions for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- How saphris causedmy husbands death
My husband was given saphris to treat bipolar disorder in June, 2010. After taking it for two weeks,the dosage was increased. On July 29, 2010, he started having hallucinations and before I could get help (we lived in rural area), he committed suicide.
- My t.d. and my living hell
I was dianosed with T.D. on Sept. 19, 2013...by a neurologist at St. Peters Hospital in Albany, NY...I was taken there because of concern that I had suffered a stroke...since then, life for, not only me, but my family has pretty much come to a screeching halt...I seemed to have hit the jackpot as fa ...
- Seroquel made me weird, indifferent to everything.
With constant anxiety. I found myself not wanting to be nice to my family, hearting them and seeing the consecuences later , rather than before. I remember wearing a wig to the nutritionist, "just because".
More reviews for: Ritalin, Bipolar disorder
On eHealthMe, Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) is often used for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Find out below the conditions Ritalin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Ritalin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Nexium, Ventolin Hfa, Imitrex, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Oxybutynin Chloride, Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride, Multivitamin, Levothyroxine Sodium, Hydroxyzine, Cymbalta for a 42-year old woman who has GERD, Asthma, Migraine, Allergy, Incontinence - Urinary, Muscle Spasms, Vitamin D Deficiency, Hypothyroidism, Itching, Depression (43 seconds ago)
- Abilify for a 54-year old man who has Depression (10 minutes ago)
- Enbrel for a 43-year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis (28 minutes ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Levothyroxine Sodium
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride
- Oxybutynin Chloride
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride
Recent user comments
- "Did not notice until started Finasteride, but might h ... " (2 hours ago)
- "I take 20 milligrams of Abilify with 20 mg. of celexa ... " (2 hours ago)
- "Having headache recurrent last 24 hrs. Side effects o ... " (10 hours ago)
- Tropical Infectious Disease
- Oxycontin (purdue Pharma Lp) 80mg
- European Bilberry
- Ear Infection Outer Ear Acute
- Blood Urine