Review: could Ritalin cause Crohn's disease?
Summary: Crohn's disease is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are male, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Accutane, and have Acne.
We study 9,715 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 52 have Crohn's disease. Find out below who they are, when they have Crohn's disease and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Ritalin and have Crohn's disease >>>
Ritalin has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. (latest outcomes from 11,226 Ritalin users)
Crohn's disease (condition that causes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract) has been reported by people with acne, pain, inflammatory bowel disease, depression, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 75,790 Crohn's disease patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 9,715 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 52 people (0.54%) have Crohn's Disease.
Time on Ritalin when people have Crohn's disease * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Crohn's disease||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Crohn's disease when taking Ritalin * :
|Crohn's disease||45.76%||54.24% |
Age of people who have Crohn's disease when taking Ritalin * :
|Crohn's disease||0.00%||0.00%||73.58%||5.66%||1.89%||3.77%||1.89%||13.21% |
Severity of Crohn's disease when taking Ritalin ** :
How people recovered from Crohn's disease ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Acne (35 people, 67.31%)
- Depression (14 people, 26.92%)
- Metastases to bone (6 people, 11.54%)
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (3 people, 5.77%)
- Crohn's disease (1 people, 1.92%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Accutane (41 people, 78.85%)
- Adderall 10 (22 people, 42.31%)
- Prozac (16 people, 30.77%)
- Methylphenidate hcl (15 people, 28.85%)
- Dextrostat (15 people, 28.85%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of ritalin and crohn's disease on
Do you have Crohn's Disease while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Crohn's Disease
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Crohn's Disease
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Anturol, Tramadol, Hydroxyzine, Wellbutrin, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Succinate, Levoxyl, Trileptal, Topiramate for a 44-year old woman with Panic Attacks, Overactive Bladder, Tension Headaches, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Adhd, Gerd, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Leg And Arm Numbness (upper Arms), Exhaustion
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a 42-year old woman with Disturbance In Attention. The patient has Chest Discomfort
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Pepcid Ac, Aspirin, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Calcium, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Metoprolol Succinate, Advair Diskus 100/50, Concerta, Imiquimod for a 53-year old man with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Acid Reflux, General Physical Health Deterioration, Allergy, Constipation, High Blood Pressure, Asthma, Adhd, Plantar Warts. The patient has Blood Potassium Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Lexapro, Risperdal, Concerta, Accutane for a 17-year old girl with Stomach Discomfort, Anxiety Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, Adhd, Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Painful Menstrual Periods, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weakness
- A study of drug interactions between Concerta, Duavee, Vitamin D, Neurontin, Ativan for a 52-year old woman with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Menopause Hot Flashes, Iga Deficiency, Night Sweats, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Night Sweats
Recent Ritalin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.