Home > Ritalin > Tourette syndrome > Ritalin and Tourette syndrome
Review: could Ritalin cause Tourette syndrome (Gilles de la Tourette syndrome)?
We study 9,685 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 20 have Tourette syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Tourette syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Tourette syndrome >>>
Ritalin (latest outcomes from 11,175 users) has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Tourette syndrome (a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, stereotyped, involuntary movements and vocalizations called tics) (latest reports from 2,678 patients) has been reported by people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, gilles de la tourette syndrome, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, multiple myeloma.
On Oct, 31, 2014: 9,685 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 20 people (0.21%) have Tourette Syndrome.
Time on Ritalin when people have Tourette syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Tourette syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Tourette syndrome when taking Ritalin * :
|Tourette syndrome||9.52%||90.48% |
Age of people who have Tourette syndrome when taking Ritalin * :
|Tourette syndrome||52.94%||23.53%||5.88%||0.00%||17.65%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Severity of Tourette syndrome when taking Ritalin ** :
How people recovered from Tourette syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (13 people, 65.00%)
- Psychomotor hyperactivity (3 people, 15.00%)
- Bipolar disorder (2 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Pristiq (8 people, 40.00%)
- Omega 3, 6, 9 (8 people, 40.00%)
- Zopiclone (3 people, 15.00%)
- Mometasone furoate (3 people, 15.00%)
- Ritalin-sr (3 people, 15.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Tourette Syndrome while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Tourette Syndrome
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Tourette Syndrome
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- The appetite suppressant effects of ephedrine have worn off just starting concerta will it suppress my appetite?
Just wondering if I have developed tolerance to ephedrine (quantified as a return of appetite) will the stimulant effects of concerta work on me
- Can you split the tablet of limitical 200mg?
I have taken 150mg or 200mg of lamitical for 25 years. I am now spliting the 200 tablet in half to make 300mg. Started sweating big time.
- Is it safe to take unisom on top of vyvanse
I have took 5 ritalin 20mg and 2 30 mg vyvanse since early this morning. It is now 1:00in the morning, I'm very tired. I have 2 toddlers that I have to take carevof. Just wanting to know if it is ok to take some unison now so I can get some sleep
- Concerta and extreme rage
My 18yr old son has been on 54mg of Concerta for 5+ years now, he suddenly started complaining to me that he was not feeling that it slowed him down like usual to concentrate ect he said it made him depressed down. He stopped taking it for over 3 weeks, then randomly yesterday he decided to take it ...
- If i'm on birth control (alesse) will taking concerta together put me at a high risk of getting pregnant?
I take alesse, birth control but if I take concerta for ADHD will it put me at risk of getting pregnant?
- Can my son have a eating disorder from concerta
My son does not eat all day and from 6pm to all night eats even gets up through the night to eat. His doctor said he does not have a chronic illness!
- Will garcinia cambodia interact with my medication
With these prescrption drugs will the garcinia cambodia interact?
- Could taking concerta have caused my hearing loss? i'm 16!
Sudden onset of hearing loss and continues to worsen. Currently only take concerta for ADHD.
- Can namenda treat post concussion syndrome
I am here today to learn more about the drug Namenda, and if would help for me to start taking it. My doctor diagnosed me with PCS, and it has been going on for close to a year now. Originally I was diagnosed with anxiety, and things of that sort.
I have never knew Namenda could treat PCS, and ...
- Do you suffer from hyperhidrosis when you stop concerta for a while?
Taken concerta for 8 years now, with pausing during two preignancies, transpiring has become a regular problem, with ritalin it is even worse, so I do not take it
My life is too busy with work and children, I cannot stop me meds now. During preignancies I still transpired, maybe hormons have some ...
More questions for: Ritalin, Tourette syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Seroquel made me weird, indifferent to everything.
With constant anxiety. I found myself not wanting to be nice to my family, hearting them and seeing the consecuences later , rather than before. I remember wearing a wig to the nutritionist, "just because".
- Temporal lobe epilepsy in concerta
My son is 8 years old and has ADHD with severe hyperactivity and impulsivity. He has been on meds since he was 5. We started with Foculin, switched to Daytrana patch and just recently (with the help of his Psychiatrist) decided to try Concerta. We stopped the Daytrana and began titration onto Conc ...
- Living with chronic pain while battling with psychological disorders.
I have had back problems since 2004. I have been on pain management since 2007. A year ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Not only does fibromyalgia cause deep wide spread pain, it also makes me feel lethargic, fluish, and greatly effects my daily life. I also have some psychological conditions ...
More reviews for: Ritalin, Tourette syndrome
On eHealthMe, Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride) is often used for narcolepsy. Find out below the conditions Ritalin is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Ritalin used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Recent related drug studies:
More related studies for: Ritalin, Tourette syndrome
Recent Ritalin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Daytrana, Focalin Xr for a 9-year old boy who has ADHD
- Comparions of Daytrana, , Focalin Xr for a 9-year old boy who has ADHD
- Comparions of Strattera, Concerta for a 24-year old man who has ADHD
- Comparions of Acetaminophen, Concerta for a 5-year old girl who has ADHD
- Comparions of Concerta, Clozapine for a 27-year old man who has Schizophrenia Simple
- Comparions of Provigil, Vyvanse, Concerta, Adderall for a 38-year old woman who has Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis
- Comparions of Concerta, Vyvanse
- Comparions of Ritalin, Adderall, Strattera, Vyvanse, Daytrana for a 12-year old boy who has ADD
- Comparions of Concerta, Lyrica for a 36-year old man who has ADD
- Comparions of Vyvanse, Concerta, Strattera, Adderall Xr 25 for a 35-year old woman who has ADHD
More related comparison studies for: Ritalin, Tourette syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Zantac, Miralax for a 1-year old girl who has Reflux - Infants, Constipation (10 minutes ago)
- Myrbetriq, Estrace, Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole for a 67-year old woman who has Oab, Thinning Vaginal Walls, Hypothroidism, Barrett's Esophagus (52 minutes ago)
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Prazosin Hydrochloride for a 46-year old woman who has Depression, PTSD (1 hour ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Bell'S Palsy and Zoloft
- Multiple Sclerosis and Alopecia Universalis
- Mirena and Coagulopathy
- Slapped Cheek
- Abdominal Pain and Premarin
Recent user comments
- "It has been almost two months that abovementoined sym ... " (2 hours ago)
- "Wondering if possible i could have candida. i have ce ... " (3 hours ago)
- "Within a week after starting Meloxicam I developed a ... " (4 hours ago)
- Allegra Sanofi Aventis Us 60mg
- Biliary Cirrhosis Secondary
- Dreams Bad