Review: could Ritalin cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are female, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Zyprexa, and have Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
We study 9,694 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 290 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Weight gain >>>
Ritalin has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. (latest outcomes from Ritalin 11,200 users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Weight gain 75,856 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 9,694 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 290 people (2.99%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Ritalin when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||10.71%||25.00%||7.14%||10.71%||10.71%||21.43%||14.29% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Ritalin * :
|Weight gain||57.19%||42.81% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Ritalin * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||16.67%||26.19%||7.94%||10.32%||16.67%||19.05%||3.17% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Ritalin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||16.67%||33.33%||16.67%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (51 people, 17.59%)
- Depression (49 people, 16.90%)
- Bipolar disorder (35 people, 12.07%)
- Anxiety (23 people, 7.93%)
- Multiple sclerosis (15 people, 5.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zyprexa (59 people, 20.34%)
- Seroquel (56 people, 19.31%)
- Zoloft (51 people, 17.59%)
- Risperdal (48 people, 16.55%)
- Prozac (47 people, 16.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Could ritalin cause temporary dementia in elderly
I had a period of dementia that lasted for the better part of a day. I was brought to the hospital because they thought I was having a stroke. I have no memory of the event until I was in the hospital. I had been prescribed Ritalin because I have become unable to concentrate as well as I once could. That started about ten years ago and it was also had a very sudden onset, after a case of the flu.
A Psychiatrist prescribed a dosage of Methylphenidate to be taken twice a day. I had a really hectic day ahead and thought that if I took both of them at once, it would help me get through the ordeal. I am under a lot of stress and thought it may help me cope. I have since thrown them out because the condition started about an hour after I took them according to family members. I don't remember the dosage, but I think it was a lower dosage because I had just started taking them on an "as needed basis." The doctor knew that I was going to use them for that purpose. I used them twice before (at the correct dosage) when I had to concentrate on paperwork, etc. They caused irregular heartbeat and a little bit of anxiety, but they did help me concentrate. The hospital tests ruled out a stroke or TIA. My thyroid level was off and the doctor at the hospital told me to stop the thyroid medication (Armour Thyroid) until I could see my family doctor and be retested. This all happened about five days ago. I'm back to what I consider normal now. Could that episode have been caused by the Ritalin?
- What is the reaction to vivitrol and ritalin?
25 year old client in early recovery from opioid dependence takes ritalin and seroquel and wants to add vivitrol. What are the risks and side effects?
- Are an increase in appetite & tiredness side effects of the birth control tri-sprintec?
In the past I have taken the birth control Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and have never had any problems. I just switched to the generic brand, Tri-sprintec. I have now officially been taking Tri-Sprintec for 2 months. I recently started to notice that my appetite has increased and I've been eating A LOT more than normal; I have definitely started to gain weight. I also have been a lot more tired than usual.
- Bisoprolol ,ive gained 56 pounds
i had a triple by pass,and was prescribed bisoprolol.since taking it i have gained 4 stones in weight ,ive tried diets ,exercise nothing takes the weight off ,should i stop the tablets.
- The appetite suppressant effects of ephedrine have worn off just starting concerta will it suppress my appetite?
Just wondering if I have developed tolerance to ephedrine (quantified as a return of appetite) will the stimulant effects of concerta work on me
More questions for: Ritalin, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- A life of depression and fatigue
1) Family history of depression, 2) Diagnosed depression 1964-not treated until 1973, 3) Worked in medical field 35 years, 4) Emergency on-call 24/7, 5) Hospital 15 times major depression, 6) Tried nearly all MAOI, TCA, SSRI, SNRI, and ECT. 7) 100% Disability in 1998 for depression. Now at age 70 I have dysthymia, chronic fatigue, COPD, and PTSD. My recommendation to younger people - do not over stress,
do not smoke, avoid horrific or traumatic situations and try to find some enjoyment in life. If you have symptoms like mine seek early treatment put balance in your life. The often heard recommendations - get plenty of sleep, eat properly, learn to relax and avoid bad habits should not be ignored, they are critical to good physical and mental health.
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam at all...
- Lyrica varied widely
I was prescribed Lyrica for treatment of chronic pain. It was ineffective, but it knocked out the symptoms of interstitial. However, it also caused rapid weight gain (I went from 110 to 130 lbs. in just a few weeks) and my ankles started to swell. The pain doctor advised me to discontinue the drug, but the urologist suggested lowering the dose. I did, and the swelling went down. I weighed myself daily and watched what I ate, and my weight returned to normal within a month. Subsequently, I continued taking the lower dose and had no further problems. Then I developed severe spinal stenosis, and my dosage of Lyrica was increased to six 75 capsules daily, in addition to 480 mg of morphine sulphate. I tolerated the Lyrica well. After surgery, however, my ankles began to swell again, and although I didn't have a problem with weight gain, I developed a bright red rash from ankles to knees. I dropped the dosage of Lyrica to 50 mg twice daily, and had no further side effects. The rash simply disappeared, with no damage to the skin. Following the surgery, I was able to titrate off morphine completely. I continue to take Lyrica twice daily. It doesn't seem to affect pain (I still ache a bit, as I have degenerative changes in all joints) but it does dampen peripheral neuropathy, which I experience both in my toes and balls of my feet. It also dampens the neuropathy in my forehead, where I had four surgeries to remove a malignant melanoma. I have had no side effects other than those mentioned, and find it interesting the I could tolerate a high dosage of Lyrica prior to surgery, but after surgery could not, and that adverse side effects varied not only with the dosage but with my own physical condition. I don't find it to be highly effective in treating neuropathy, but it does still the tingling enough to let me sleep and take my mind off the condition.
- Crestor side effects (1 response)
I'm a vegetarian all my life , very athletic, I work out a lot , I run. In the last year or two My cholesterol seems to go high, my primary Doctor knows that I go for the healthy stuff so he advice a couple of things. But unfortunately nothing woks so he put me on Crestor, it has been a really bad experience, my menstrual periods don't come normal anymore, or sometimes it takes two or three months to come back again. I have hot flashes day or night, and the last one is that I'm gaining weight. I'm not sure what to do, any pill will give you side effects, I never read side effects. I'm 100% percent this is not coincides is real an is happening to me.
- Depo provera overdose
Dr acidentially gave me something like 9 times the normal dose of depo provera. My life has been miserable! I have fought excessive weight gain, infertility, severe cellulite, and acne for 20 years.
More reviews for: Ritalin, Weight gain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Re-Pneumothorax 10 years after first and only spontaneous pneumothorax about 8 month after starting therapy with Concerta. Needed re-surgery (thoracoscopy, talk pleurodesis). Hospital stay 6 days. Probably now relation to drug intake.
- Hands and feet always cold, even in hot weather. Smallest toe specifically gets numb. Feeling overwhelmed in large crowds or small spaces. Overthinking and anxiety all the time. Sweating even in cold weather. Panic attacks weekly. Get scared easily, jump when a loud sudden noise appears. Can't sleep ...
- I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I had surgery on my intestine. 5 1/2 inches were taken removed from my rectum because of a polyp that was flat against the wall of my intestine. My joints and muscles are really sore and because I was given prednisone for years my bones are very bad. I get a shot of ...
- this has been going on for a year and a half where both of my hands and arms are completely useless for at least an hour a day. the past two weeks it has spread to my toes, feet, and legs, and now lasting 3 hours a day.
- I wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds, but I don't freakishly obsess over it. After I started taking the concerta in Aug. I started losing my appetite, and now when I try to eat after taking my pills in the morning, I feel sick and food just doesn't look appetizing any more.
More related studies for: Ritalin, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.