Home > Ritalin > Weight gain > Ritalin and Weight gain
Review: could Ritalin cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are female, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Zyprexa, and have Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder.
We study 9,694 people who have side effects while taking Ritalin from FDA and social media. Among them, 290 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ritalin and have Weight gain >>>
Ritalin (latest outcomes from 11,196 users) has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Weight gain (latest reports from 75,856 patients) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol.
On Nov, 13, 2014: 9,685 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin. Among them, 290 people (2.99%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Ritalin when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||10.71%||25.00%||7.14%||10.71%||10.71%||21.43%||14.29% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Ritalin * :
|Weight gain||57.19%||42.81% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Ritalin * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||16.67%||26.19%||7.94%||10.32%||16.67%||19.05%||3.17% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Ritalin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||16.67%||33.33%||16.67%||33.33% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (51 people, 17.59%)
- Depression (49 people, 16.90%)
- Bipolar disorder (35 people, 12.07%)
- Anxiety (23 people, 7.93%)
- Multiple sclerosis (15 people, 5.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zyprexa (59 people, 20.34%)
- Seroquel (56 people, 19.31%)
- Zoloft (51 people, 17.59%)
- Risperdal (48 people, 16.55%)
- Prozac (47 people, 16.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Ritalin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ritalin and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Ritalin
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What is the reaction to vivitrol and ritalin?
(Asked by a 23 year old woman who has Drug Addiction, and takes Seroquel, Vivitrol, Ritalin)
25 year old client in early recovery from opioid dependence takes ritalin and seroquel and wants to add vivitrol. What are the risks and side effects?
- Are an increase in appetite & tiredness side effects of the birth control tri-sprintec?
(Asked by a 23 year old woman who has Weight Gain, Increased Appetite, and takes Tri-sprintec)
In the past I have taken the birth control Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and have never had any problems. I just switched to the generic brand, Tri-sprintec. I have now officially been taking Tri-Sprintec for 2 months. I recently started to notice that my appetite has increased and I've been eating A LOT more ...
- Bisoprolol ,ive gained 56 pounds
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Weight Gain)
i had a triple by pass,and was prescribed bisoprolol.since taking it i have gained 4 stones in weight ,ive tried diets ,exercise nothing takes the weight off ,should i stop the tablets.
- The appetite suppressant effects of ephedrine have worn off just starting concerta will it suppress my appetite?
(Asked by a 24 year old woman who takes Concerta)
Just wondering if I have developed tolerance to ephedrine (quantified as a return of appetite) will the stimulant effects of concerta work on me
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
(Asked by a 67 year old woman who has Back Pain, Acid Reflux, Fatigue, Abdominal Pain, Osteoarthritis Generalised, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Itching, Weight Gain, Hot Flush, Musculoskeletal Discomfort, Pain - Abdomen, and takes Feraheme, Pantoprazole, Prolia)
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
More questions for: Ritalin, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
(Posted by a 18 year old boy who has (FR) TDAH, and takes Ritalin)
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam at all...
- Lyrica varied widely
(Posted by a 69 year old woman who has Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain, Bright-red Rash, Swelling Of Ankles, Weight Gain, and takes Lyrica)
I was prescribed Lyrica for treatment of chronic pain. It was ineffective, but it knocked out the symptoms of interstitial. However, it also caused rapid weight gain (I went from 110 to 130 lbs. in just a few weeks) and my ankles started to swell. The pain doctor advised me to discontinue the dru ...
- Crestor side effects
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Weight Gain - Unintentional, Hot Flashes, Joint Swelling, Weight Gain, and takes Crestor)
I'm a vegetarian all my life , very athletic, I work out a lot , I run. In the last year or two My cholesterol seems to go high, my primary Doctor knows that I go for the healthy stuff so he advice a couple of things. But unfortunately nothing woks so he put me on Crestor, it has been a really bad e ...
- Depo provera overdose
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Central Obesity, Obesity, Weight Gain, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Vein Disorder, Milk Secretions, Libido Decreased, Infertility Female, Hair Loss, Bone Loss, Acne, Cellulite, Depression, and takes Depo-provera)
Dr acidentially gave me something like 9 times the normal dose of depo provera. My life has been miserable! I have fought excessive weight gain, infertility, severe cellulite, and acne for 20 years.
- Seroquel made me weird, indifferent to everything.
(Posted by a 19 year old girl who has Schizotypal Personality Disorder, and takes Concerta)
With constant anxiety. I found myself not wanting to be nice to my family, hearting them and seeing the consecuences later , rather than before. I remember wearing a wig to the nutritionist, "just because".
More reviews for: Ritalin, Weight gain
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with ADHD. The patient has Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition (sleeplessness related to another mental condition), Chapped Hands (dry and cracker hands), Fear, Focus, Shivering (felling of cold), Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Cold Sweat, Compulsions (performing an act persistently and repetitively), Panic Attacks, Costochondritis (chest wall pain), Stubbornness (dark personality traits), Restless Legs Syndrome (a powerful urge to move your legs), Fear Of Crowded Places, Fear Of Public Speaking (fear to go in social), Shortness Of Breath, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
Comments: Hands and feet always cold, even in hot weather. Smallest toe specifically gets numb. Feeling overwhelmed in large crowds or small spaces. Overthinking and anxiety all the time. Sweating even in cold weather. Panic attacks weekly. Get scared easily, jump when a loud sudden noise appears. Can't sleep ...
- A study of side effects of Hydromorphone Hydrochloride for a patient with Lupus. The patient has Weight Gain - Unintentional
Comments: I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I had surgery on my intestine. 5 1/2 inches were taken removed from my rectum because of a polyp that was flat against the wall of my intestine. My joints and muscles are really sore and because I was given prednisone for years my bones are very bad. I get a shot of ...
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with Narcolepsy. The patient has Can't Move Fingers, Hands , Arms Intermittently
Comments: this has been going on for a year and a half where both of my hands and arms are completely useless for at least an hour a day. the past two weeks it has spread to my toes, feet, and legs, and now lasting 3 hours a day.
- A study of drug interactions between Fluoxetine, Concerta for a patient with Depression, Add. The patient has Fatigue, Dizziness, Loss Of Appetite
Comments: I wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds, but I don't freakishly obsess over it. After I started taking the concerta in Aug. I started losing my appetite, and now when I try to eat after taking my pills in the morning, I feel sick and food just doesn't look appetizing any more.
- A study of side effects of Ritalin for a patient with Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity. The patient has Pain - Back
Comments: i get agressive my jaw locks up i get neck problems the pill did stop my growth. my skin is sensetive it turns red alot i get headaches quit a bit i have chest pains and i get nervous and twitch.sometimes i get dizzy and almost pass out i have breathing problems i am 21 but took ritalin at the age o ...
More related studies for: Ritalin, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.