Review: could Rituxan cause Mental status changes?
Summary: Mental status changes is found among people who take Rituxan, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone, and have Non-hodgkin's lymphoma.
We study 10,200 people who have side effects while taking Rituxan from FDA and social media. Among them, 49 have Mental status changes. Find out below who they are, when they have Mental status changes and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Rituxan and have Mental status changes >>>
Rituxan has active ingredients of rituximab. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Rituxan 10,311 users)
Mental status changes
Mental status changes (general changes in brain function, such as confusion, amnesia (memory loss), loss of alertness, loss of orientation) has been reported by people with pain, depression, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Mental status changes 14,041 patients)
On Dec, 1, 2014: 10,200 people reported to have side effects when taking Rituxan. Among them, 49 people (0.48%) have Mental Status Changes.
Time on Rituxan when people have Mental status changes * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mental status changes||58.82%||41.18%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Mental status changes when taking Rituxan * :
|Mental status changes||49.12%||50.88% |
Age of people who have Mental status changes when taking Rituxan * :
|Mental status changes||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||4.26%||6.38%||8.51%||80.85% |
Severity of Mental status changes when taking Rituxan ** :
How people recovered from Mental status changes ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Non-hodgkin's lymphoma (10 people, 20.41%)
- Prostate cancer metastatic (7 people, 14.29%)
- Bone disorder (6 people, 12.24%)
- Diffuse large b-cell lymphoma (5 people, 10.20%)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (4 people, 8.16%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (20 people, 40.82%)
- Vincristine (19 people, 38.78%)
- Aspirin (16 people, 32.65%)
- Lasix (14 people, 28.57%)
- Prednisone tab (12 people, 24.49%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Mental Status Changes while taking Rituxan?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Rituxan and have Mental Status Changes
- support group for people who take Rituxan
- support group for people who have Mental Status Changes
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Anyone have severe mouth blisters/ulcers from rituan lasting more than 8 months???? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Mouth Ulcers, and takes Rituxan)
24 hr. after last rituxan tx. developed horrible mouth uclers - mouth skin looked liked hanging chads in the mouth. 8 l/2 months later everything 17 specialists can think of have not worked...Any suggestions. Help this is awful
- Can r-chop chemotherapy cause aortic stenosis?
(Asked by a 70 year old man who has Aortic Valve Stenosis, Lymphoma - Non-Hodgkin's, and takes Etoposide, Carboplatin , Ifosfamide, Vincristine Sulfate, Prednisone, Doxorubicin Hydrochloride, Cyclophosphamide , Rituxan)
Treated with 3 courses of R-CHOP plus radiotherapy for Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of orbit of eye in 2010. In complete remission until 2014 then relapse of genetically identical tumor in maxillary sinus. Recently have received 3 courses of R-ICE. During the past week I have had a cardiac ECHO ...
- How do i at least try to get the psychiatrist doing my follow up assessment to consider the possibility that the mirena iud was the cause of the acute psychosis i experienced?
(Asked by a 37 year old woman who has Acute Psychosis, Mental Status Changes, Sleep Disorder, and takes Mirena)
I had a Mirena IUD inserted on December 9th. Insertion was fine (but I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain); but things started going downhill fast. On December 15th I had a blackout drunken episode and in January I had two puffs of a marijuna joint and believe I went briefly Psycotic. ...
- Do any of my medications cause peripheral neuropathy (1 answer)
(Asked by a 67 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Methotrexate, Arava, Rituxan, Folic Acid, Famotidine, Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Atenolol, Aspirin, Omega-3)
Peripheral neuropathy started after my diagnosis and the initiation of the RA meds. My Rheumatologist says it is not associated with the meds BUT I find info on the net that disagrees. I think it is the med(s). I am interested in what experience others have had. Thanks K
- How does rituxan help pcd patients?
(Asked by a 46 year old woman who has Paraneoplastic Cerebellar Degeneration, and takes Rituxan)
One neurologist wants to use rituxan to help while the other neurologist says it is too risky and has terrible side effects. Has it helped PCD patients?
More questions for: Rituxan, Mental status changes
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Does rituxan cause laryngitis?
(Posted by a 70 year old woman who has Laryngitis Allergic, and takes Rituxan)
Two days after first Rituxan infusion, still suffering with dripping sinuses and laryngitis. Unable to speak at all today. Related to the Rituxan?
- Rituxan mental changes (1 response)
(Posted by a 16 year old girl who has Nephrotic Syndrome, and takes Losartan, Tacrolimus, Rituxan)
Within a month my daughter has had altered mental health symptoms such as confusion 'ADD symptoms' decrease in vision, trouble concentrating, frequent headaches and sharp head pain, forgetfulness, blanks out much more and 'feels off'
it has now been about 5 months since last rituxan
- Isoniazid--the downside
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Mental Status Changes, and takes Isoniazid)
Started taking Isonizaid approximately June 10. I am having fairly severe memory loss. I am having mental confusion. I am having depression. I have weight gain. I have liver pain, but it has lessened in the last month though it was severe in the first 3 months. I have digestive issues such as ...
More reviews for: Rituxan, Mental status changes
- A study of side effects of Rituxan for a patient with Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage Iii. The patient has Cryptogenic Cirrhosis (diseases of the live by cryptococcal)
Comments: I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH NON HODGKIN LYMPHOMA 3 STAGES IN AUG 2011 AFTER MY CHEMO TREATMENT WAS TOLD I HAD CRYPTOGENIC CIRRHOSIS THEY TRYED TO TELL ME I HAD CIRRHOSIS BEFORE MY DIAGNOSIS OF THE CANCER BUT I BELIEVE IT WAS FROM AFTER EFFECTS OF CHEMO DUE TO THEY DID NOT INFORM ME TILL AFTER ALL CHEMO TRE ...
- A study of drug interactions between Cytoxan, Etoposide, Vincristine Sulfate, Rituxan, Enalapril Maleate, Aldactone, Warfarin Sodium, Neurontin, Furosemide, Digoxin, Coreg, Klor-con M10, Nexium for a patient with Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage Iv, Congestive Cardiac Failure, Mechanical Heart Valve, Neuropathy, Blood Potassium Decreased, Upset Stomach. The patient has Muscle Cramps
Comments: After undergoing chemo for Non-hodgkin's Lymphoma I have been getting severe leg cramps at night and sometimes during the day. Never had them before until beginning chemo. I now only receive rituxan every 8 weeks.
- A study of side effects of Teflaro for a patient with Staphylococcal Abscess. The patient has Mental Status Changes (general changes in brain function, such as confusion, amnesia (memory loss), loss of alertness, loss of orientation)
Comments: My uncle was part of a clinical study for ceftaroline (Teflaro) because he caught a staph infection from his wife after being in the hospital with her from having surgery from Chromes Disease. He loved her very much and after he was off the medication he murdered her. He was on other medications and ...
- A study of drug interactions between Actifed, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Sertraline, Alprazolam for a patient with Allergic Respiratory Disease, Inflammation, Fever, Chronic Depression, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Mental Status Changes, Depression Aggravated, Psychosis Aggravated, Hallucination, Feelings Of Worthlessness, Feeling Of Despair, Dizziness, Psychotic Behaviour, Changes In Consciousness, Irritability, Feeling Of Despair, Confusion Aggravated
Comments: Do not take Actifed (pills) if you're under alprazolam treatment, especially if you're having a high dosis of the benzodiazepine (or if you're being treated for a long time). The psychiatric effects can be devastating and your anxiety disorder and/or depression can get much worse.
Unentencionally ( ...
- A study of drug interactions between Rituxan, Rituxan, Rituxan, Rituxan for a patient with Dementia, Stiff-man Syndrome, Autonomic Neuropathy, Gad. The patient has Hypertension, Appetite - Decreased, Colitis
Comments: Hypertension, colitis, appetite decrease occurred following second biweekly treatment. No recovery following a total of four treatments. Pt has GAD 65 and P/QType calcium channel antibodies. Results to level of antibodies is currently outstanding in lab.
More related studies for: Rituxan, Mental status changes
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.