Review: could Saw palmetto cause Kidney stones?
Summary: Kidney stones is found among people who take Saw palmetto, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, also take medication Zoloft, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 541 people who have side effects while taking Saw palmetto from FDA and social media. Among them, 12 have Kidney stones. Find out below who they are, when they have Kidney stones and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Saw palmetto and have Kidney stones >>>
Saw palmetto has active ingredients of saw palmetto. It is often used in enlarged prostate. (latest outcomes from 615 Saw palmetto users)
Kidney stones has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain. (latest reports from 14,361 Kidney stones patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 541 people reported to have side effects when taking Saw palmetto. Among them, 12 people (2.22%) have Kidney Stones.
Time on Saw palmetto when people have Kidney stones * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Kidney stones||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Age of people who have Kidney stones when taking Saw palmetto * :
|Kidney stones||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||8.33%||25.00%||66.67% |
Severity of Kidney stones when taking Saw palmetto ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Kidney stones||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Kidney stones ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Kidney stones||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (3 people, 25.00%)
- General physical condition (1 people, 8.33%)
- Bph (1 people, 8.33%)
- Diabetes mellitus management (1 people, 8.33%)
- Diabetes mellitus (1 people, 8.33%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zoloft (10 people, 83.33%)
- Doxycycline (8 people, 66.67%)
- Allopurinol (7 people, 58.33%)
- Ambien (7 people, 58.33%)
- Ditropan (7 people, 58.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of saw palmetto and kidney stones on
Do you have Kidney Stones while taking Saw Palmetto?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Saw palmetto and have Kidney Stones
- support group for people who take Saw palmetto
- support group for people who have Kidney Stones
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
- A study of side effects of Protriptyline Hydrochloride for a 59-year old woman with Complicated Migraine. The patient has Kidney Stones
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall 30, Norco, Dilaudid, Oxycontin for a 38-year old woman with ADHD, Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Hydronephrosis, Kidney Palpable, Kidney Stones, Medullary Cystic Kidney Disease, Wound Healing Normal, Herpes Virus Infection, Herpes Zoster, Eczema, Hip Pain, X-ray - Pelvis, Back Pain, Adhd, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Muscle Pain, Brain Mass, Fatigue - Chronic, Seizure - Generalized, Connective Tissue Inflammation, Joint Stiffness, Joint Inflammation, Joint Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Nuvigil, Orphenadrine Citrate, Buspirone Hydrochloride, Indapamide, Effexor Xr, Inderal La, Tramadol, Suboxone, Flomax, Gabapentin for a 30-year old man with Apnea - Sleep Apnea Syndrome, Back Injury, Anxiety Disorder, Kidney Stones, Fibromyalgia, Migraine, Fibromyalgia Syndrome. The patient has Nerve Pain, Migraine, Kidney Stones, Anxiety Disorder, Confusion, Back Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Ranitidine, Hydrochlorothiazide, Effexor, Levitra for a 54-year old man with Acid Reflux, Hypertension, Depression, Erectile Disturbance. The patient has Kidney Stones
Recent Saw palmetto related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.