From FDA reports: Seroquel and Serotonin syndrome
This is a study of Serotonin syndrome among people who take Seroquel. The study analyzes: the time on Seroquel when people have Serotonin syndrome, gender and age of these people, the severity of Serotonin syndrome, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Seroquel. In total 63,831 Seroquel users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: one drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question, and ensure only patients like you can answer it? Our Personalized Q&A can help. Start now
Seroquel has active ingredients of quetiapine fumarate. It is used in bipolar disorder, insomnia, bipolar i disorder, depression, sleep disorder. Commonly reported side effects of Seroquel include diabetes, type 2 diabetes, pancreatitis, diabetic ketoacidosis, insomnia.
Serotonin syndrome has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder.
On Jun, 12, 2013: 63,831 people reported to have side effects when taking Seroquel. Among them, 167 people (0.26%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Seroquel when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||60.87%||17.39%||10.87%||2.17%||8.70%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Seroquel * :
|Serotonin syndrome||70.56%||29.44% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Seroquel * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||3.74%||10.16%||12.83%||32.09%||25.67%||15.51% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Seroquel ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (84 people, 50.30%)
- Insomnia (33 people, 19.76%)
- Anxiety (31 people, 18.56%)
- Major depression (24 people, 14.37%)
- Psychotic disorder (24 people, 14.37%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zoloft (49 people, 29.34%)
- Lithium carbonate (39 people, 23.35%)
- Cymbalta (30 people, 17.96%)
- Effexor (29 people, 17.37%)
- Paxil (28 people, 16.77%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether serotonin syndrome is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) is often used for bipolar disorder. Find out below the conditions Seroquel is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Seroquel used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Seroquel side effects from A to Z:
Browse Seroquel drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Recent related drug checks on eHealthMe:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- Hydrea for a 62-year old man who has Polycythemia Vera (3 minutes ago)
- Levothyroxine Sodium, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Furosemide, Metoprolol Succinate for a 71-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, Fluid Retention, PVC's Tachycardia (6 minutes ago)
- Suprax for a 26-year old woman who has Typhoid Fever (21 minutes ago)
- Clomid for a 31-year old woman who has Anovulatory Cycle (36 minutes ago)
- Zolpidem, Crestor, , Axiron for a 58-year old man who has Cant Sleep, High Cholesterol, Low Thyroid, Low Testosterone (54 minutes ago)
- Yasmin, Vitamins, Alprazolam for a 32-year old woman who has PMS, Fatigue, Anxiety (1 hour ago)
- Simvastatin for a 69-year old man who has Fexofenadine (2 hours ago)
- Nuvaring, Viibryd, Xanax, Adderall 30 for a 27-year old woman who has Birth Control And Family Planning, Depression - Major, Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks , Focus, Concentration (2 hours ago)
- Allopurinol, Finasteride, Perindopril Erbumine for a 69-year old man who has Gout, Enlarged Prostate, High Blood Pressure (2 hours ago)
- Trazodone Hydrochloride for a 29-year old woman who has Anxiety & Insomnia (2 hours ago)