Review: could Seroquel cause Tinnitus?
Summary: Tinnitus is found among people who take Seroquel, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Clonazepam, and have Bipolar disorder.
We study 76,243 people who have side effects while taking Seroquel from FDA and social media. Among them, 200 have Tinnitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Tinnitus and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Seroquel and have Tinnitus >>>
Seroquel has active ingredients of quetiapine fumarate. It is often used in bipolar disorder. (latest outcomes from Seroquel 79,098 users)
Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, stress and anxiety.(view latest reports from 19,391 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 76,232 people reported to have side effects when taking Seroquel. Among them, 205 people (0.27%) have Tinnitus.
Time on Seroquel when people have Tinnitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Tinnitus when taking Seroquel * :
Age of people who have Tinnitus when taking Seroquel * :
Severity of Tinnitus when taking Seroquel ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Tinnitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (96 people, 46.83%)
- Depression (78 people, 38.05%)
- Sleep disorder (45 people, 21.95%)
- Schizophrenia (39 people, 19.02%)
- Anxiety (35 people, 17.07%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Clonazepam (106 people, 51.71%)
- Paxil (102 people, 49.76%)
- Trazodone hcl (86 people, 41.95%)
- Meclizine (85 people, 41.46%)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (84 people, 40.98%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Tinnitus while taking Seroquel?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Seroquel and have Tinnitus
- support group for people who take Seroquel
- support group for people who have Tinnitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I have ringing in the ears. is there anyway of getting rid of it?
(Asked by a 61 year old woman who has Tinnitus, and takes Aspirin, Norgesic Forte)
I feel this tinnitus was induced from my taking the norgesic forte, that I no longer take for tension headaches. But I do take over the counter aspirin. Can the tinnitus ever go away?
- What is the reaction to vivitrol and ritalin?
(Asked by a 23 year old woman who has Drug Addiction, and takes Seroquel, Vivitrol, Ritalin)
25 year old client in early recovery from opioid dependence takes ritalin and seroquel and wants to add vivitrol. What are the risks and side effects?
- Nimotop for curing tinnitus?
(Asked by a 56 year old man who has Tinnitus, and takes Nimotop)
i have tinnitus and the doctor is giving me nimotop 30 mg is this good?
- Can this medication cause the ears to ring?
(Asked by a 57 year old man who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Protonix)
I developed tinnitus about one year ago. I understand that there is no cure for it. I'm researching it myself. I'm also in a research program that requires me to wear small ear generators. It doesn't seem to help at this time.
- Does anyone have experience of taking the supplement gaba with seroquel/quetiapine at night to aid sleep?. taking quetiapine 150 mg gives inconsistent sleep.
(Asked by a 44 year old woman who has Chronic Insomnia, and takes Seroquel)
With seroquel my sleep is inconsistent and if I have a bad night's sleep, I don't just feel tired, I feel breathless, headache, strange sensations, as if I haven't slept off side effects. It can make me feel relaxed when I take it but not sleepy.
More questions for: Seroquel, Tinnitus
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Ringing in the ears from linzess
(Posted by a 23 year old woman who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Linzess)
I started Linzess about a month ago, taking it about every three days. It was my miracle pill, until recently when I started having ringing in my ears. I am stopping the medication in hopes that the ringing will subside.
- Side effects of using terazosin
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Terazosin Hydrochloride)
I have been on terazosin for 9 days. The ringing in my ears is unbearable, dizzy in the night if I wake up to use the bathroom, intermittent throbbing heartbeat. Also very significant is dramatic decrease in libido and difficulty achieving satisfaction. Dose started at 5 mg at night, reduced to 2 mg. at night after two days and ringing does not go away. I have permission from my doctor to discontinue use and replace with Lisinopril.
- Bipolar patient extremely violent on seraquel
(Posted by a 41 year old woman who has Bipolar, and takes Seroquel)
I have been diagnosed bipolar for over 10 years. 3 years ago I was taken off of topamax and my seraquel was upped to 300 mg from 100 because I was pregnant. I was very violent! Punching, breaking stuff, in jail, in the psych ward. Yes pregnancy and bipolar are not a perfect combination. I too thought it was the hormones. My husband and split several times over me punching him. We moved to a state cross country so there was no more family drama. Nothing worked! Over the last 3 years my life has been hell! I happen to run out of my seroquel (tg) it took 2 weeks to arrive. In that time my body went thru horrible withdrawals. I vowed I wouldn't take it any longer. I've been seraquel free for 2 months. I'm now on gabapentin and proud to say I have no anger issues! Not 1 punch has
been thrown. I feel like a totally different person.
- Seroquel and iron deficiency?
(Posted by a 24 year old woman who has Iron Deficiency Anaemia, and takes Seroquel)
I've been taking Seroquel for about four year, I have been having symptoms similar to hypothyroidism, and just found out I have an iron deficiency. The doctor said my platelets are smaller than average, and it is possible that my grandmother is anemic. But in trying to study Seroquel I kept finding things that made me wonder if Seroquel could be linked to iron deficiency.
- Transition from mirtazapine to cymbalta (bipolar ii) 6 week duration taken in conjunction with seroquel, propranalol and implanon
(Posted by a 37 year old woman who has Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar 2, and takes Mirtazapine, Implanon, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Seroquel, Cymbalta)
In early September I approached my Psychiatrist to report that I was having sleep paralysis episodes as well as insatiable appetite. I had put on about 20lb in the space of 6 months since the sleep paralysis started.
My Psychiatrist opted to wean me off the Mirtazapine and onto Cymbalta. I have now been on 60mg of Cymbalta for about 4 weeks and completely titrated off the Mirtazapine.
I have noted that since switching to Cymbalta that I no longer have the insatiable appetite, nor have I had any further sleep paralysis episodes (though I have had a brain MRI to rule out any physiological issues - yet to receive results).
I have noticed that I have had mild to moderate rolling nausea with the Cymbalta and that I now have food aversions. Food does not interest me as much anymore and I find that certain foods (mostly processed snacks) are no longer palatable. I also find that I become full after much smaller meal portions.
I have found that I can no longer drink wine or spirits because they now taste awful however I can still tolerate certain brands of beer. I also no longer enjoy drinking cola.
I am also on the Implanon Implant. I have had this implant inserted for about 12 months and my cycles have been rather regular. Since starting the Cymbalta I have had some breakthrough bleeding yet my periods have not been as painful, though they have been heavier and longer.
My Psychiatrist will commence titrating me off the Seroquel in about two weeks and onto Topamax as it is his belief it will be less sedating than the Seroquel and that it will hopefully help as a mood stabiliser, treat my migraines and allow me to come off the Propranolol. he also hopes that I am able to loose some of the weight gained since the sleep paralysis episodes started.
As a side note regarding the Propranolol, I have naturally low blood pressure and I find while Propranalol is generally an effective migraine prophylactic, (I do get some breakthrough migraines) it does make my blood pressure even lower which leads to dizziness and faintness when I stand up too quickly from a recumbent position.
More reviews for: Seroquel, Tinnitus
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have lost almost all memory while on these medications and I cannot remember that part of my life while on them I can only remember bits and pieces. I was on all this medication due to my drug induced psycosis and to stop my paranoia and wanting to harm myself and others. This was over 12 years ag ...
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- I have sjogrens and possible mild SLE, hypothyroidism, and bipolar II. I have been off most of my meds for the past 6 mos. I have recently restarted seroquel to help me sleep. Today for the first time ever I noticed a strong maple syrupy smell to my urine. I never knew it was a thing, but looke ...
- Have ringing in the ears and feel that it could not be because of sound it must be because of something else. It is to high it must be of the medicne I eat. Have even ringing in the left ear but very high in my righ. Same type of sound on both sides of the ears ringing sound. Help please?
What me ...
- Was on 350mg about 4 years ago. Truth is, I do not remember. I have severe short term memory AND long term memory problems. Is this permanent? I honestly couldn't tell you the date my mom and brother died, although it was July of 2000 & 2002. My dad was Christmas Eve 2001 -that's easy to remember. I ...
More related studies for: Seroquel, Tinnitus
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.