Review: could Simvastatin cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Hypertension.
We study 77,477 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 518 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Hair loss >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from Simvastatin 80,812 users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.(latest reports from Hair loss 41,549 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 77,462 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 518 people (0.67%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||1.45%||23.19%||20.29%||11.59%||30.43%||11.59%||1.45% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Simvastatin * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||0.24%||0.00%||1.90%||7.38%||25.71%||64.76% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||0.00%||61.90%||33.33%||4.76% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (107 people, 20.66%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (92 people, 17.76%)
- Diabetes mellitus (79 people, 15.25%)
- Blood cholesterol (61 people, 11.78%)
- Pain (48 people, 9.27%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (116 people, 22.39%)
- Prilosec (83 people, 16.02%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (77 people, 14.86%)
- Potassium chloride (67 people, 12.93%)
- Lisinopril (66 people, 12.74%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Will taking simvistatin for dyslipidemia for 5 yrs cause my liver to ache/hurt?
Been taking simvastatin for about 5 yrs, but in the last 2-3 months have been experiencing ache and sometimes pain from my lower right front emanating around my right side and into my lower back, I have been tested for a possible urinary tract infection that came in negative, doctors are unsure of what could be going on at this point, I am suspicious of the simvastatin affecting my liver but am not sure because of the long time I have been using it and not experiencing any problem until now
- If you stop taking oxcarbazepine will your hair grow back?
has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot it just seems like the last month and a half maybe that I've noticed that my hair has been getting thinner on top and now there's a little bald spot where its really thin and you can see the scalp and he increased my dosage by 600 milligrams
- When was this study made? can i sue merck?
I had a cerebral hemmorage and stroke. Was lucky and was at a major casino in Las Vegas. I had surgery through my groin to stop the bleed. I was then left in a coma for 2 months. When I started to wake up I could not move, eat, swallow, I did not know who I was or who my husband of 40 years were. I had to be taught everything over again. I had intense therapy. Physical, speech, cognitive, etc. It was over a year before I caught swallow soft food under supervision. Over a year before I was able to learn how to transfer from my bed to a wheelchair. I lost over 2 years of my life. I am now still recovery but I do have a quality of life that they told me I would never have. I was 2 weeks before my 60 birthday and the only drug I every took was Simvastian. Which was a very common drug I thought was harmless. My story was even published in my local newspaper.
CAN WE FORM A CLASS ACTION SUIT???
- Can long-term methadone use cause or increase the risk of colon cancer?
I had a two-level spinal fusion at L4-S1 in 2000 after being injuried at work in Sept. 24, 1997. I lost everything after...the unjury, ability to do my job, my wife and family (couldn't take the strain) my home, my sense of self and purpose, direction and belonging...credit rating and ability to pay my bills.
After a long period of waiting to settle my workmens' comp. case, I returned home, from the Bat Area back to Arizona to take of my mother with a yet un dianosed case of moderate dementia.
Then, in 2011 I had a 2nd surgery to relieve spinal stenosis btwn. L2-L4, just above the fusion site.
I've been taking methadone since early 2004, a little over ten years, now. I've had high blood pressure since my injury.
Now, I waiting to be scheduled for a colonoscopy, with my father having had polyps and the way I've been feeling..drained, tired all the time, and stomach pains ( in addition to my chronic low back pain), I...
find myself wondering if there is any relationtionship between the methadone and other meds and cancer?
- Could inhaled steroids and predisone over 20 years attribute to necrosis of the femoral head?
Hi, I am a 44 year old South African white male. I have been on inhaled steroids since the early 1990's, after being diagnosed as a chronic allergic asthmatic and sinus sufferer. I have been on Medrol 16mg on and off since diagnosis, and The asthma is now well controlled. I had cateract surgery in 2012 and had a hip scope in May 2014 for Femoral Acetabular Impingement. The recovery time was pleasant. However about a month ago the pain in the same left hip became worse and X Rays taken yesterday reveal avascular necrosis of the same left femoral head.
More questions for: Simvastatin, Hair loss
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- A life of depression and fatigue
1) Family history of depression, 2) Diagnosed depression 1964-not treated until 1973, 3) Worked in medical field 35 years, 4) Emergency on-call 24/7, 5) Hospital 15 times major depression, 6) Tried nearly all MAOI, TCA, SSRI, SNRI, and ECT. 7) 100% Disability in 1998 for depression. Now at age 70 I have dysthymia, chronic fatigue, COPD, and PTSD. My recommendation to younger people - do not over stress,
do not smoke, avoid horrific or traumatic situations and try to find some enjoyment in life. If you have symptoms like mine seek early treatment put balance in your life. The often heard recommendations - get plenty of sleep, eat properly, learn to relax and avoid bad habits should not be ignored, they are critical to good physical and mental health.
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this drug should post that this is a side effect as so many have been complaining of the same side effect. I also began having problems with my teeth and always prided myself of having great teeth with no problems. I also understand that if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 that this together with taking this drug can cause these issues of hair loss and mouth/teeth problems. Again; I feel this should be totally and more readily informed to anyone taking this drug. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up things important to them to maintain a healthy way of living...I am going to see my physician and discuss what other options that may exist as I am not feeling very comfortable with this drug and the side effects I am experiencing.
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Levothyrixine and have increased as my dose has been increased.
- Androgel for secondary hypogonadism
Severe swelling in legs, ankles and feet after being on my feet for more than one hour. Pain in calves and ankles. Feels like they're being squeezed or compressed. Pain dissipates after laying down for a few hours. Swelling never completely dissipates. Always some swelling in ankles.
More reviews for: Simvastatin, Hair loss
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- I have just started on Orencia this month but was was taken off of Cimzia as it was no longer effective. I have noticed over the last year that 2/3 of my hair has thinned to very little.. thin and weak.
- Had bouts of insomnia, digesting certain foods, I dealt with all of this including the hair loss.. Which I am grateful didn't last longer then two months( my hair was just falling out in clumps during that time)..my concerns now are the styes that I have been getting over the course of the past two ...
- Patient has been declining after increased marijuana usage. Graves disease like symptoms with weight loss, bulging eyes, mood disorder, lethargic, and loss of appetite. Increased depression and dependency on substances has drastically changed. Appearance and facial structures are predominate.
More related studies for: Simvastatin, Hair loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.