Review: could Simvastatin cause Muscle wasting (Muscle atrophy)?
Summary: Muscle wasting is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Depression.
We study 77,532 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 202 have Muscle wasting. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle wasting and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle wasting >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 80,878 Simvastatin users)
Muscle wasting (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,641 Muscle wasting patients)
On Mar, 16, 2015: 77,532 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 202 people (0.26%) have Muscle Wasting.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Muscle wasting * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle wasting||14.58%||20.83%||12.50%||4.17%||25.00%||14.58%||8.33% |
Age of people who have Muscle wasting when taking Simvastatin * :
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.56%||2.22%||26.11%||71.11% |
Severity of Muscle wasting when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||71.43%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle wasting ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (40 people, 19.80%)
- Anxiety (35 people, 17.33%)
- Generalised anxiety disorder (34 people, 16.83%)
- Sleep disorder (34 people, 16.83%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (27 people, 13.37%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (56 people, 27.72%)
- Atenolol (44 people, 21.78%)
- Diazepam (44 people, 21.78%)
- Lyrica (40 people, 19.80%)
- Promethazine (38 people, 18.81%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Muscle Wasting while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle Wasting
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Muscle Wasting
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide for a 21-year old woman with Asthma. The patient has Muscle Atrophy (a decrease in the mass of the muscle)
- A study of drug interactions between Fish Oil, Omeprazole, Gemfibrozil, Enalapril Maleate, Simvastatin, Hydrochlorothiazide for a 55-year old man with Blood Triglycerides Abnormal, Barrett's Oesophagus, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has High Blood Sugar
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Aspirin, Simvastatin, Clonazepam for a 60-year old man with Nutrition - Inadequate, Heart Attack, High Blood Cholesterol, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Rash Generalised
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Losartan Potassium, Simvastatin, Baclofen for a 51-year old woman with Vitamin D Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Muscle Spasms. The patient has Fear Of Eating, Uncontrollable Urination, Sudden Onset Of Sleep
- A study of drug interactions between Amiloride Hydrochloride And Hydrochlorothiazide, Simvastatin for a 62-year old woman with Bloodpressure, Cholesterol.
Recent Simvastatin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.