Review: could Simvastatin cause Muscle wasting (Muscle atrophy)?
Summary: Muscle wasting is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Depression.
We study 77,553 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 202 have Muscle wasting. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle wasting and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle wasting >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 80,902 Simvastatin users)
Muscle wasting (a decrease in the mass of the muscle) has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 5,644 Muscle wasting patients)
On Apr, 22, 2015: 77,553 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 202 people (0.26%) have Muscle Wasting.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Muscle wasting * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle wasting||14.58%||20.83%||12.50%||4.17%||25.00%||14.58%||8.33% |
Age of people who have Muscle wasting when taking Simvastatin * :
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.56%||2.22%||26.11%||71.11% |
Severity of Muscle wasting when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||71.43%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle wasting ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle wasting||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (40 people, 19.80%)
- Anxiety (35 people, 17.33%)
- Generalised anxiety disorder (34 people, 16.83%)
- Sleep disorder (34 people, 16.83%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (27 people, 13.37%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (56 people, 27.72%)
- Atenolol (44 people, 21.78%)
- Diazepam (44 people, 21.78%)
- Lyrica (40 people, 19.80%)
- Promethazine (38 people, 18.81%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Muscle Wasting while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle Wasting
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Muscle Wasting
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Topiramate, Aggrenox, Donepezil, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Metoprolol Tartrate, Amlodipine Besylate for a 88-year old woman with Headache, Stroke Risk, Dementia, Thyroid, Cholesterosis, Blood Pressure, High Blood Pressure.
- A study of drug interactions between Lialda, Metformin, Simvastatin, Aspirin, Lisinopril, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 69-year old man with Ulcerative Colitis, Type 2 Diabetes, Coronary Artery Disease. The patient has Cramps - Muscle, Bleeding Tendency
- A study of drug interactions between Loratadine, Simvastatin, Januvia, Primidone for a 82-year old woman with Allergic Reactions, Dyslipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Essential Tremor. The patient has Anemia - Iron Deficiency, Pruritus Aggravated, Gas - Flatulence, Glaucoma
- A study of side effects of Simvastatin for a 56-year old woman with High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin B12, Co-codamol, Simvastatin, Ranitidine, Perindopril Erbumine, Prozac for a 75-year old man with Low Egfr, Pain, Hypercholesterolaemia, Hyperacidity, Blood Pressure Increased, Depression. The patient has Depression, Loss Of Bladder Control
Recent Simvastatin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Simvastatin for a 81-year old woman who has Blood Cholesterol Decreased
- Comparions of Nitroglycerin, Aspirin, Flagyl, Atenolol, Simvastatin for a 36-year old woman who has Infection
- Comparions of Simvastatin, Crestor for a 64-year old man who has High Blood Cholesterol
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Simvastatin for a 67-year old man who has High Cholesterol
- Comparions of Simvastatin, Buspar, Lisinopril, Aspirin, Toprol-xl for a 51-year old man who has Blood Pressure Increased
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.