Review: could Simvastatin cause Muscle weakness (Weakness)?
Summary: Muscle weakness is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood cholesterol.
We study 77,532 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 4,343 have Muscle weakness. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle weakness and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle weakness >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 80,878 Simvastatin users)
Muscle weakness (a lack of muscle strength) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 182,255 Muscle weakness patients)
On Mar, 17, 2015: 77,532 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 4,364 people (5.63%) have Muscle Weakness.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Muscle weakness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle weakness||17.86%||23.54%||10.88%||11.85%||19.48%||11.20%||5.19% |
Age of people who have Muscle weakness when taking Simvastatin * :
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||0.00%||0.02%||0.46%||1.39%||6.09%||21.09%||70.95% |
Severity of Muscle weakness when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle weakness||4.84%||53.23%||35.48%||6.45% |
How people recovered from Muscle weakness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Blood cholesterol increased (496 people, 11.37%)
- Hypertension (493 people, 11.30%)
- Hypercholesterolaemia (326 people, 7.47%)
- Hyperlipidaemia (233 people, 5.34%)
- Atrial fibrillation (201 people, 4.61%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (1,458 people, 33.41%)
- Lisinopril (728 people, 16.68%)
- Furosemide (565 people, 12.95%)
- Omeprazole (546 people, 12.51%)
- Digoxin (394 people, 9.03%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of simvastatin and muscle weakness on
Do you have Muscle Weakness while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Muscle Weakness
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Muscle Weakness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Simvastatin, Clopidogrel Bisulfate, Aspirin, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 64-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Coronary Artery Occlusion, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of side effects of Simvastatin for a 37-year old man with Blood Cholesterol Abnormal. The patient has Petechiae (a small red or purple spot caused by bleeding into the skin)
- A study of side effects of Simvastatin for a 61-year old man with Swollen Tongue. The patient has Swollen Tongue (swelling of tongue)
- A study of drug interactions between Digoxin, Warfarin Sodium for a 90-year old woman with Atrial Fibrillation/flutter, Blood Disorder. The patient has Muscular Weakness
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Vitamin D, Metoprolol Tartrate, Pantoprazole, Losartan, Pravastatin Sodium, Topiramate for a 45-year old woman with Back Pain, Health, High Blood Pressure, Stomach Acid, Total Cholesterol, Seizures. The patient has Vertigo-associated Disorders, Aural Fullness, Eye Twitch, Chills, Headache - Migraine With Aura, Fatigue, Lump In The Neck, Restlessness, Weakness, Body Numbness, Confusion, Pressure Sore, Ringing In The Ears, Dizzy
Recent Simvastatin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.