Review: could Simvastatin cause Stroke?
Summary: Stroke is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 77,532 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,617 have Stroke. Find out below who they are, when they have Stroke and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Stroke >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 80,878 Simvastatin users)
Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 93,279 Stroke patients)
On Mar, 20, 2015: 77,532 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 1,560 people (2.01%) have Stroke.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Stroke * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Stroke when taking Simvastatin * :
Severity of Stroke when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Stroke ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (229 people, 14.68%)
- Diabetes mellitus (131 people, 8.40%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (95 people, 6.09%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (93 people, 5.96%)
- Pain (82 people, 5.26%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (532 people, 34.10%)
- Lisinopril (273 people, 17.50%)
- Omeprazole (214 people, 13.72%)
- Plavix (181 people, 11.60%)
- Furosemide (167 people, 10.71%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stroke while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Stroke
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Stroke
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Cinnamon, Simvastatin, Metformin, Lisinopril, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 63-year old woman with General Health, Blood Glucose, Hypercholesterolemia, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Blood Glucose Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Simvastatin, Clopidogrel Bisulfate, Aspirin, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 64-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Coronary Artery Occlusion, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of side effects of Simvastatin for a 37-year old man with Blood Cholesterol Abnormal. The patient has Petechiae (a small red or purple spot caused by bleeding into the skin)
- A study of side effects of Simvastatin for a 61-year old man with Swollen Tongue. The patient has Swollen Tongue (swelling of tongue)
- A study of drug interactions between Fish Oil, Omeprazole, Gemfibrozil, Enalapril Maleate, Simvastatin, Hydrochlorothiazide for a 55-year old man with Blood Triglycerides Abnormal, Barrett's Oesophagus, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has High Blood Sugar
Recent Simvastatin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Nitroglycerin, Aspirin, Flagyl, Atenolol, Simvastatin for a 36-year old woman who has Infection
- Comparions of Simvastatin, Crestor for a 64-year old man who has High Blood Cholesterol
- Comparions of Benazepril Hydrochloride, Simvastatin for a 67-year old man who has High Cholesterol
- Comparions of Simvastatin, Buspar, Lisinopril, Aspirin, Toprol-xl for a 51-year old man who has Blood Pressure Increased
- Comparions of Garcinia Cambogi, Simvastatin for a 41-year old woman who has Lower Cholesterol
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.