Review: could Simvastatin cause Stroke?
Summary: Stroke is found among people who take Simvastatin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 77,499 people who have side effects while taking Simvastatin from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,560 have Stroke. Find out below who they are, when they have Stroke and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Stroke >>>
Simvastatin has active ingredients of simvastatin. It is often used in high blood cholesterol. (latest outcomes from 80,843 Simvastatin users)
Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 93,279 Stroke patients)
On Jan, 11, 2015: 77,477 people reported to have side effects when taking Simvastatin. Among them, 1,560 people (2.01%) have Stroke.
Time on Simvastatin when people have Stroke * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Stroke when taking Simvastatin * :
Severity of Stroke when taking Simvastatin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Stroke ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (229 people, 14.68%)
- Diabetes mellitus (131 people, 8.40%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (95 people, 6.09%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (93 people, 5.96%)
- Pain (82 people, 5.26%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (532 people, 34.10%)
- Lisinopril (273 people, 17.50%)
- Omeprazole (214 people, 13.72%)
- Plavix (181 people, 11.60%)
- Furosemide (167 people, 10.71%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stroke while taking Simvastatin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Simvastatin and have Stroke
- support group for people who take Simvastatin
- support group for people who have Stroke
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I took a musinex dm and acetominphen for congestion and a headache and fainted shortly after.
I have fainted a few years ago and was told it was probably due to dehydration due to a couple glasses of wine and being hot. This incident was after breakfast and no wine!
- Has anyone taking eliquis suffered from itching? not rashes, jsut irritating itching?
Going crazy with itching since starting eilquis..Doctors insist that's not a side effect. I insist since it's happening to me, it IS, even if it was never documented when in trials. Since it' happening to me, a patient, than I consider it a side effect. Anyone else???
- Can i take a steroid while taking xarelto
I took prednisone for constant cough. had 3rd surgery on back one year ago. Had to patch spinal cord. Got blood clots. Had pulmonary embolism. Now have severe bronchitis. I know the prednisone will take care of cough, but what else?
- How many/what percentage of older males who have had a stroke, have another while taking uloric?
Concerned as my Rheumatologist wants me to start using Uloric40 mg and while I see that their is a relatively small incidence of stroke occurring (unless you are part of the "small" group); I have been unable to locate statistics for those previous stroke patients that are now using or have used Uloric, and had another stroke.
- Is valerian safe to take with the rx drugs below?
As a man in his late seventies I have sleep interruption issues, including length of sleep (only 4-6hrs.) as well as quality of that sleep. Having been apprised of the dangers of OTC as well as Rx meds increasing risk of dementia, I am researching natural supplement alternatives such as low dose, sublingual Melatonin, Valerian and Chamomile tea. QUESTION: Danger of Contraindication with above Rx drugs.
More questions for: Simvastatin, Stroke
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Horrible bursitis while on simvastatin & low dose aspirin
Horrible Bursitis in Hips and Shoulders. Resistant to multiple cortisone shots. Cost me multiple Orthopedic appointments and MRI.
- The effect of magnesium citrate on coumadin
the combination of coumadin and magnesium citrate guarantees too low INR
- A life of depression and fatigue
1) Family history of depression, 2) Diagnosed depression 1964-not treated until 1973, 3) Worked in medical field 35 years, 4) Emergency on-call 24/7, 5) Hospital 15 times major depression, 6) Tried nearly all MAOI, TCA, SSRI, SNRI, and ECT. 7) 100% Disability in 1998 for depression. Now at age 70 I have dysthymia, chronic fatigue, COPD, and PTSD. My recommendation to younger people - do not over stress,
do not smoke, avoid horrific or traumatic situations and try to find some enjoyment in life. If you have symptoms like mine seek early treatment put balance in your life. The often heard recommendations - get plenty of sleep, eat properly, learn to relax and avoid bad habits should not be ignored, they are critical to good physical and mental health.
- Androgel for secondary hypogonadism
Severe swelling in legs, ankles and feet after being on my feet for more than one hour. Pain in calves and ankles. Feels like they're being squeezed or compressed. Pain dissipates after laying down for a few hours. Swelling never completely dissipates. Always some swelling in ankles.
- Bad hair days due to medication i think, is prednisolone the culprit and if so wiil things get back to normal?
My hair has changed from a slightly wavy thick head of, to frizzy, still a good lot of hair. I did have a 1 month spell of more than usual hair loss. I have been on Prednisolone since July 2013 30grm a day to start with reducing, at present 9 mg per day. The texture and look is not sitting well with me.
More reviews for: Simvastatin, Stroke
Comments from related studies:
From this study (2 days ago):
My chest begin after walking or cycling at a heart rate of 90-95 bpm for 5 minutes
and increase in intensity for 10 minutes and a heart rate 100-105. The chest pains
subside gradually and disappear after 5 more minutes of continued walking or cycling.
I had the same condition before taking Folic acid and Methotrexate.
From this study (5 days ago):
Itching worse at night
From this study (5 days ago):
Moderate libido decrease for the past year.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.