Review: could Singulair cause Metallic taste (Taste - impaired)?
Summary: Metallic taste is found among people who take Singulair, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Albuterol, and have Asthma.
We study 41,207 people who have side effects while taking Singulair from FDA and social media. Among them, 265 have Metallic taste. Find out below who they are, when they have Metallic taste and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Singulair and have Metallic taste >>>
Singulair has active ingredients of montelukast sodium. It is often used in asthma. (latest outcomes from Singulair 42,869 users)
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.(latest reports from Metallic taste 24,191 patients)
On Nov, 27, 2014: 41,207 people reported to have side effects when taking Singulair. Among them, 265 people (0.64%) have Metallic Taste.
Time on Singulair when people have Metallic taste * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Metallic taste||47.62%||19.05%||14.29%||4.76%||9.52%||4.76%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Metallic taste when taking Singulair * :
|Metallic taste||73.55%||26.45% |
Age of people who have Metallic taste when taking Singulair * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||3.69%||2.87%||3.69%||9.43%||16.39%||21.31%||42.62% |
Severity of Metallic taste when taking Singulair ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||40.00%||60.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Metallic taste ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Asthma (88 people, 33.21%)
- Insomnia (26 people, 9.81%)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (23 people, 8.68%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (14 people, 5.28%)
- Pain (12 people, 4.53%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Albuterol (67 people, 25.28%)
- Aspirin (37 people, 13.96%)
- Combivent (35 people, 13.21%)
- Spiriva (33 people, 12.45%)
- Prilosec (31 people, 11.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Metallic Taste while taking Singulair?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Singulair and have Metallic Taste
- support group for people who take Singulair
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Singulair, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Singulair to the rescue
Antihistamines , even in small amounts, cause my prostate to swell immensely. Several months ago my allergies reached the point I had to take something. I had a physician's sample of 10 mg Singulair, so I took one. To my amazement, I got quick relief from extreme allergies, but my prostate SHRUNK as much as it did on finesteride. Since then I take my usual 2 mg hytrin each morning and my 10 mg Singulair at night and the combo has all but done away with my prostatic hyperplasia. NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD PASS MIT ON.
- Eczema and birth control-microgestin
I started getting eczema over the last year and recently decided it may be from the birth control as well, which I started taking @ 2 months before I got the eczema and skin started breaking out...weight gain, etc. I am on singulair, westcort cream, moisture/kenalog, exederm cream, cerevue wash, cetaphil moisturizer, and started using the black soap which is apparently helping. I started a vegetarian diet and eat mainly the same foods daily to monitor anything for allergies. I stopped taking the pill 3 days ago and I am optimistic. I am hoping others have had positive experiences.
- Celebrex and taste loss
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- Nasalcrom caused potential anxiety attacks
I have a sinus infection that did not go away with a ten day course of Cefuroxime. I went back to the doctor and was subscribed a two week course of Cefuroxime, plus Montelukast for allergy, and NasalCrom for inflamed sinuses. Since I began the NasalCrom, I have been experiencing anxiety attacks. They have been increasing in severity over the last four days of use. The first dose today, day four, may have caused such a severe anxiety attack that I had to leave my job, return home, and function at a very low level with limited stimulus. I have not taken any more doses today and plan to contact my doctor in the morning.
- Eczema and birth control
I have never had eczema in my life. A few years ago, in March/April 2012, I began taking birth control (Caziant) for the first time. About a month or two later, I noticed a red patch of skin on my armpit that wouldn't stop itching. I was given different types of fungal creams and corticosteriod creams and they only made it worse. Then, it started spreading to my arms, hands, pelvic, and breasts.
I was told by doctors and dermatologists that it is eczema and allergies. Had an allergy test done and took out products I was allergic to from my diet and products. I was given singular for the allergies and hydroxyzine for the itching but I still feel itchy and scratch all the time.
I have been vegan for 10 years, recently gluten free because of a slight allergy, I eat healthy, I stay away from everything I'm allergic to as much as possible, I wash with African black soap and moisturize 2-4 times daily with coco butter and coconut oil, I do not use perfume, I use fragrance free laundry soap and wear gloves when washing dishes. I am doing everything that is suggested but my eczema is only getting worse and spreading to my legs, neck, and face. It is so painful.
The only thing I can think of is it being correlated to birth control. I have decided to stop taking the pill and hope that it may clear up and go back to how my skin was before taking the pill.
More reviews for: Singulair, Metallic taste
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I started having chronic, severe migraines 7 months ago and they still continue. I struggle with stuffed up sinuses, especially on the right side and that is where the migraine is felt most. When my sinuses feel stuffed up, it effects my asthma.
- Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- Given this drug at twice the recommended dose by a doctor who thought i had cough variant asthma. This drug did nothing to stop me coughing, which was the reason it was prescribed, although for the first time in a long time I did not have overly sensitive skin.
The side effects though were particu ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- the joint pain isn't as bad as the swelling!!! its been random & moves from joint to joint...my hands & fingers more severe...ive never had these symptoms before!! my doctor has run RA panels, MS panels etc...waiting on results!! started me on Mobic.....absolutely cant tell ive taken anything...no s ...
More related studies for: Singulair, Metallic taste
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.