Review: could Singulair cause Postnasal drip (Nasal discharge)?
Summary: Postnasal drip is found among people who take Singulair, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Zyrtec, and have Asthma.
We study 41,207 people who have side effects while taking Singulair from FDA and social media. Among them, 35 have Postnasal drip. Find out below who they are, when they have Postnasal drip and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Singulair and have Postnasal drip >>>
Singulair has active ingredients of montelukast sodium. It is often used in asthma. (view latest outcomes from 42,864 users)
Postnasal Drip (discharge from nose) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma.(latest reports from Postnasal Drip 1,611 patients)
On Dec, 1, 2014: 41,207 people reported to have side effects when taking Singulair. Among them, 35 people (0.08%) have Postnasal Drip.
Time on Singulair when people have Postnasal drip * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Postnasal drip||0.00%||0.00%||25.00%||25.00%||25.00%||0.00%||25.00% |
Gender of people who have Postnasal drip when taking Singulair * :
|Postnasal drip||90.00%||10.00% |
Age of people who have Postnasal drip when taking Singulair * :
|Postnasal drip||0.00%||8.82%||17.65%||2.94%||0.00%||8.82%||17.65%||44.12% |
Severity of Postnasal drip when taking Singulair ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Postnasal drip||0.00%||75.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Postnasal drip ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Postnasal drip||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Asthma (13 people, 37.14%)
- Upper respiratory tract infection (3 people, 8.57%)
- Multiple allergies (2 people, 5.71%)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (2 people, 5.71%)
- Ill-defined disorder (2 people, 5.71%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zyrtec (12 people, 34.29%)
- Nasonex (11 people, 31.43%)
- Albuterol (11 people, 31.43%)
- Proventil (7 people, 20.00%)
- Rhinocort (6 people, 17.14%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Postnasal Drip while taking Singulair?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Singulair and have Postnasal Drip
- support group for people who take Singulair
- support group for people who have Postnasal Drip
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What is the cause of leg and foot pain?
Right leg pains start in the afternoon and get more painful at night.
- My tongue has swollen while on singular. will it go away when i stop my meds?
Should I worry? Once I stop taking this, which was yesterday, will my tongue return to normal??
- Is it possible for me to stop taking advair without getting short of breath (1 answer)
I take these meds everyday the singulair I take one a day and the Advair I take twice a day. I take vitamin C on occasions. I do not feel bad but there are times when I have bad indegestion. Also my face is getting very round and I would like to know why? Is there any way I can maybe stop taking the advair? is there an alternative med
- I am suffering from post nasal drip causing catarrh to form in the well of my throat. as this is an irritation, my throat reflex wants to get rid of it causing me try to clear my throat constantly.
I have post nasal drip causing me to constantly clear my throat. It's bad at night and find it difficult to get to sleep as I am constantly swallowing gunge! YUK. Clearing my throat every few minutes makes my throat sore but not excessively so. I am going to see my GP this week and ask for an appointment with an ENT consultant. Have heard that probiotics sometimes help. Has anyone got any tips.
- My ige in november was 1712, i have been diagnosed with late onset asthma, i get breathless at the slightest exertion e.g. waking to bathroom and back into bed; my iron levels are low (1 answer)
I have late onset asthma, told two weeks ago that my iron levels are low, IgE of 1712 (Nov 2013), get breathless with little exertion (e.g. going to toilet and back into bed), I lose concentration easily. In August 2013 I lost my sense of smell, but I have been checked by ENT - no blockages. So what is the problem with me
More questions for: Singulair, Postnasal drip
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Yawning after taking sub
Within a few minutes after I take my Suboxone film I seem to get intense yawning event along with runny nose & watery eyes lasting 5-15 mins. Sometimes I can make it subside by drinking a lot of water if I am in a place I can get it. I have been on Sub for approx 5 yrs. & have only noticed this side effect during the past 1 yr or so. It doesn't seem to matter if I take 1/2 or a whole film, (4mg or 8mg.)
While this isn't life shattering it can be quite annoying if I am out in public, at work, etc. The yawning gets so intense at times I feel like my jaw will unhinge & can't control it at all.
It seems paradoxical to me. Previously taking Sub would stop any typical opiate withdrawal symptoms such a yawing & runny nose & eyes. Now it actually causes this effect. I don't get any other feelings of going into withdrawal. Just those I mentioned. Could it be a reaction to the naloxone?
- Singulair to the rescue
Antihistamines , even in small amounts, cause my prostate to swell immensely. Several months ago my allergies reached the point I had to take something. I had a physician's sample of 10 mg Singulair, so I took one. To my amazement, I got quick relief from extreme allergies, but my prostate SHRUNK as much as it did on finesteride. Since then I take my usual 2 mg hytrin each morning and my 10 mg Singulair at night and the combo has all but done away with my prostatic hyperplasia. NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD PASS MIT ON.
- Eczema and birth control-microgestin
I started getting eczema over the last year and recently decided it may be from the birth control as well, which I started taking @ 2 months before I got the eczema and skin started breaking out...weight gain, etc. I am on singulair, westcort cream, moisture/kenalog, exederm cream, cerevue wash, cetaphil moisturizer, and started using the black soap which is apparently helping. I started a vegetarian diet and eat mainly the same foods daily to monitor anything for allergies. I stopped taking the pill 3 days ago and I am optimistic. I am hoping others have had positive experiences.
- Nasalcrom caused potential anxiety attacks
I have a sinus infection that did not go away with a ten day course of Cefuroxime. I went back to the doctor and was subscribed a two week course of Cefuroxime, plus Montelukast for allergy, and NasalCrom for inflamed sinuses. Since I began the NasalCrom, I have been experiencing anxiety attacks. They have been increasing in severity over the last four days of use. The first dose today, day four, may have caused such a severe anxiety attack that I had to leave my job, return home, and function at a very low level with limited stimulus. I have not taken any more doses today and plan to contact my doctor in the morning.
- Eczema and birth control
I have never had eczema in my life. A few years ago, in March/April 2012, I began taking birth control (Caziant) for the first time. About a month or two later, I noticed a red patch of skin on my armpit that wouldn't stop itching. I was given different types of fungal creams and corticosteriod creams and they only made it worse. Then, it started spreading to my arms, hands, pelvic, and breasts.
I was told by doctors and dermatologists that it is eczema and allergies. Had an allergy test done and took out products I was allergic to from my diet and products. I was given singular for the allergies and hydroxyzine for the itching but I still feel itchy and scratch all the time.
I have been vegan for 10 years, recently gluten free because of a slight allergy, I eat healthy, I stay away from everything I'm allergic to as much as possible, I wash with African black soap and moisturize 2-4 times daily with coco butter and coconut oil, I do not use perfume, I use fragrance free laundry soap and wear gloves when washing dishes. I am doing everything that is suggested but my eczema is only getting worse and spreading to my legs, neck, and face. It is so painful.
The only thing I can think of is it being correlated to birth control. I have decided to stop taking the pill and hope that it may clear up and go back to how my skin was before taking the pill.
More reviews for: Singulair, Postnasal drip
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I started having chronic, severe migraines 7 months ago and they still continue. I struggle with stuffed up sinuses, especially on the right side and that is where the migraine is felt most. When my sinuses feel stuffed up, it effects my asthma.
- Given this drug at twice the recommended dose by a doctor who thought i had cough variant asthma. This drug did nothing to stop me coughing, which was the reason it was prescribed, although for the first time in a long time I did not have overly sensitive skin.
The side effects though were particu ...
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- the joint pain isn't as bad as the swelling!!! its been random & moves from joint to joint...my hands & fingers more severe...ive never had these symptoms before!! my doctor has run RA panels, MS panels etc...waiting on results!! started me on Mobic.....absolutely cant tell ive taken anything...no s ...
- When I stopped Singulair my chronic sore throat went away along with my skin hurting. I'm still getting little red skin blisters all over my body from neck down. Only one on my face, cheek. I haven't stopped the Linzess as I was on this for almost three months when my symptoms started 3 weeks after ...
More related studies for: Singulair, Postnasal drip
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.