Review: could Singulair cause Sjogren's syndrome?
Summary: Sjogren's syndrome is found among people who take Singulair, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Prednisone, and have Asthma.
We study 41,245 people who have side effects while taking Singulair from FDA and social media. Among them, 22 have Sjogren's syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Sjogren's syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Singulair and have Sjogren's syndrome >>>
Singulair has active ingredients of montelukast sodium. It is often used in asthma. (latest outcomes from 42,906 Singulair users)
Sjogren's syndrome (a disease that causes dryness in the mouth and eyes) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteopenia, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 2,643 Sjogren's syndrome patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 41,245 people reported to have side effects when taking Singulair. Among them, 22 people (0.05%) have Sjogren's Syndrome.
Time on Singulair when people have Sjogren's syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Sjogren's syndrome||0.00%||62.50%||12.50%||0.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Sjogren's syndrome when taking Singulair * :
|Sjogren's syndrome||91.30%||8.70% |
Age of people who have Sjogren's syndrome when taking Singulair * :
|Sjogren's syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||9.09%||0.00%||0.00%||9.09%||54.55%||27.27% |
Severity of Sjogren's syndrome when taking Singulair ** :
How people recovered from Sjogren's syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Asthma (5 people, 22.73%)
- Osteoporosis (4 people, 18.18%)
- Bronchitis (3 people, 13.64%)
- Narcolepsy (2 people, 9.09%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (2 people, 9.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (5 people, 22.73%)
- Albuterol (5 people, 22.73%)
- Progesterone (4 people, 18.18%)
- Prilosec (4 people, 18.18%)
- Methotrexate (4 people, 18.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of singulair and sjogren's syndrome on
Do you have Sjogren's Syndrome while taking Singulair?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Singulair and have Sjogren's Syndrome
- support group for people who take Singulair
- support group for people who have Sjogren's Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Xanax, Singulair, Ultram Er, Triamterene And Hydrochlorothiazide, Nexium, Levoxyl, Wellbutrin Sr, Atenolol, Gabapentin for a 57-year old woman with Anxiety Disorder, Allergic Sinusitis, Fibromyalgia, Fluid Retention, Acid Reflux, Hyperthyroidism, Depression, High Blood Pressure, Meniers.
- A study of drug interactions between Albuterol Sulfate, Singulair, Advair Diskus 500/50, Cetirizine Hydrochloride, Clonidine, Lamictal, Prozac, Imipramine Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Ambien for a 28-year old woman with Asthma, Allergy To Animal, Depression - Chronic, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Gad, Insomnia.
- A study of drug interactions between Zyrtec, Naproxen, Singulair, Meloxicam for a 52-year old man with Allergies, Arthritis, Asthma. The patient has Ankle Swelling
- A study of drug interactions between Probiotics, Ferrous Fumarate, Multivitamin, Amoxicillin And Clavulanate Potassium, Effexor Xr, Maxalt-mlt, Ibuprofen, Estrogel, Progesterone, Veramyst, Singulair, Spiriva, Aspirin, Atenolol, Ranolazine for a 53-year old woman with Vaginal Yeast Infection, Restless Leg Syndrome, General Physical Health Deterioration, Sinusitis Bacterial, Depression Postmenopausal, Migraine Without Aura, Headache, Menopause, Allergic Sinusitis, Asthma Late Onset, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Non-cardiac Chest Pain. The patient has Uti - Chronic Or Recurrent, Bacterial Rhinitis, Stress Incontinence, Tingling And Numbness, Hypoglycaemia
- A study of side effects of Actemra for a 50-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Insomnia, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Fluid Retention, Sjogren's Syndrome, Scleroedema, Raynaud's Phenomenon, Hair Loss
Recent Singulair related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Xyzal, Singulair, Lexapro, Xanax, Sonata for a 39-year old woman who has Sleep Disorder
- Comparions of Singulair, Folic Acid, Xolair for a 51-year old woman who has Urticaria
- Comparions of Singulair, Ativan, Wellbutrin Sr, Celebrex, Claritin for a 44-year old woman who has Chronic Thyroiditis
- Comparions of Ibuprofen, Singulair, Omeprazole, Levothyroxine Sodium, Plaquenil for a 54-year old woman who has Autoimmune
- Comparions of Probiotic, Symbicort, Montelukast Sodium, Spiriva for a 51-year old man who has COPD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.