Review: could Sodium bicarbonate cause Water retention (Fluid Retention)?
Summary: Water retention is found among people who take Sodium bicarbonate, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Allopurinol, and have Pancreatic carcinoma recurrent.
We study 6,058 people who have side effects while taking Sodium bicarbonate from FDA and social media. Among them, 24 have Water retention. Find out below who they are, when they have Water retention and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Sodium bicarbonate and have Water retention >>>
Sodium bicarbonate has active ingredients of sodium bicarbonate. It is often used in metabolic acidosis. (latest outcomes from 6,121 Sodium bicarbonate users)
Water retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood) has been reported by people with primary pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 18,438 Water retention patients)
On Mar, 2, 2015: 6,057 people reported to have side effects when taking Sodium bicarbonate. Among them, 24 people (0.40%) have Water Retention.
Time on Sodium bicarbonate when people have Water retention * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Water retention||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Water retention when taking Sodium bicarbonate * :
|Water retention||44.44%||55.56% |
Age of people who have Water retention when taking Sodium bicarbonate * :
|Water retention||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||3.85%||34.62%||15.38%||46.15% |
Severity of Water retention when taking Sodium bicarbonate ** :
How people recovered from Water retention ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pancreatic carcinoma recurrent (6 people, 25.00%)
- Nausea (6 people, 25.00%)
- Pancreatic carcinoma metastatic (6 people, 25.00%)
- Pain (3 people, 12.50%)
- Multiple myeloma (3 people, 12.50%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Allopurinol (10 people, 41.67%)
- Nifedipine (8 people, 33.33%)
- Lorazepam (7 people, 29.17%)
- Lasix (7 people, 29.17%)
- Zolpidem (6 people, 25.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Water Retention while taking Sodium Bicarbonate?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Sodium bicarbonate and have Water Retention
- support group for people who take Sodium bicarbonate
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Alesse, Garcinia Cambogia for a 34-year old woman with Premenstrual Syndrome, Weight Loss. The patient has Fluid Retention, Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Sodium Bicarbonate In Plastic Container for a 91-year old man with Potassium - High. The patient has Sleepy
- A study of side effects of Naproxen Sodium for a 61-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Ingrown Toenail, Mouth Ulcers, Fluid Retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood), Joint Pain
- A study of side effects of Adderall 30 for a 30-year old woman with ADD. The patient has Fluid Retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood), Muscle Aches (muscle pain), Spitting Up, Cough, Heart Rate Increased, Heartburn - Chronic (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus), Retained Fetal Lung Fluid (fluid does not leave the lung)
- A study of drug interactions between Sodium Bicarbonate, Albuterol, Beetroot, Caffeine, Vyvanse for a 40-year old man with Acidosis, Asthma, Vasodilatation, Energy Increased, Add. The patient has Tremor, Diarrhea, Nausea, Heart Rate
Recent Sodium bicarbonate related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Niacin, Metformin, Lidoderm for a 64-year old man who has Medical
- Comparions of Microgestin Fe 1/20, Sodium Bicarbonate for a 31-year old woman who has Heartburn - Chronic
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Citrate for a 34-year old man who has Kidney Stones
- Comparions of L-Limonene, Sodium Bicarbonate for a 54-year old woman who has Colon Cancer
- Comparions of Sodium Bicarbonate, Lidoderm, Spironolactone, Metformin, Losartan for a 64-year old man who has General Physical Health Deterioration
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.