Review: could Spiriva cause Renal failure (Acute kidney failure)?
Summary: Renal failure is found among people who take Spiriva, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
We study 50,015 people who have side effects while taking Spiriva from FDA and social media. Among them, 431 have Renal failure. Find out below who they are, when they have Renal failure and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spiriva and have Renal failure >>>
Spiriva has active ingredients of tiotropium bromide monohydrate. It is often used in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. (latest outcomes from 50,501 Spiriva users)
Renal failure (kidney dysfunction) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, coronary artery bypass, diabetes, multiple myeloma, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 72,156 Renal failure patients)
On Apr, 1, 2015: 50,015 people reported to have side effects when taking Spiriva. Among them, 431 people (0.86%) have Renal Failure.
Time on Spiriva when people have Renal failure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Renal failure||0.00%||42.31%||15.38%||7.69%||3.85%||26.92%||3.85% |
Gender of people who have Renal failure when taking Spiriva * :
|Renal failure||46.22%||53.78% |
Age of people who have Renal failure when taking Spiriva * :
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.83%||1.38%||4.41%||14.88%||78.51% |
Severity of Renal failure when taking Spiriva ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Renal failure||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Renal failure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Renal failure||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (83 people, 19.26%)
- Hypertension (51 people, 11.83%)
- Pain (34 people, 7.89%)
- Osteoporosis (27 people, 6.26%)
- Non-small cell lung cancer (22 people, 5.10%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (113 people, 26.22%)
- Lasix (109 people, 25.29%)
- Albuterol (108 people, 25.06%)
- Digoxin (92 people, 21.35%)
- Furosemide (71 people, 16.47%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spiriva and renal failure on
Do you have Renal Failure while taking Spiriva?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Spiriva and have Renal Failure
- support group for people who take Spiriva
- support group for people who have Renal Failure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Meloxicam, Chlorthalidone, Spiriva, Symbicort, Lyrica, Omeprazole, Wellbutrin Xl, Novolog Flexpen, Lantus Solostar, Metformin, Requip for a 37-year old man with Information, Water Pill, Copd, Tingling And Numbness, Acid Refluc, Anxeity, Diabetic, Restless Legs.
- A study of side effects of Spiriva for a 70-year old woman with COPD. The patient has Pruritus Ani
- A study of side effects of Spiriva for a 77-year old woman with COPD. The patient has Mucous Cyst
- A study of drug interactions between Spiriva, Zoloft, Pravastatin Sodium, Plavix for a 51-year old woman with COPD, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol, Stroke/periphial Artery Disease.
- A study of side effects of Zopiclone for a 62-year old woman with Insomnia. The patient has Renal Failure
Recent Spiriva related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Spiriva, Symbicort for a 64-year old woman who has Asthma
- Comparions of Probiotic, Symbicort, Montelukast Sodium, Spiriva for a 51-year old man who has COPD
- Comparions of Antivert, Symbicort, Spiriva for a 67-year old woman who has Emphysema
- Comparions of Ranitidine, Theophylline, Advair Diskus 250/50, Spiriva for a 64-year old man who has Flatulence
- Comparions of Singulair, Spiriva, Qvar 40 for a 70-year old woman who has COPD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.