Review: could Spironolactone cause Breathing difficulty?
Summary: Breathing difficulty is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Furosemide, and have High blood pressure.
We study 25,377 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,898 have Breathing difficulty. Find out below who they are, when they have Breathing difficulty and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Breathing difficulty >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 26,450 Spironolactone users)
Breathing difficulty has been reported by people with high blood pressure, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. (latest reports from 165,469 Breathing difficulty patients)
On Mar, 21, 2015: 25,375 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 1,898 people (7.48%) have Breathing Difficulty.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Breathing difficulty * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Breathing difficulty||34.02%||5.15%||24.74%||9.28%||19.59%||7.22%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Breathing difficulty when taking Spironolactone * :
|Breathing difficulty||0.67%||0.79%||0.91%||4.02%||4.15%||8.66%||19.45%||61.34% |
Severity of Breathing difficulty when taking Spironolactone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Breathing difficulty||7.69%||38.46%||53.85%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Breathing difficulty ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Breathing difficulty||11.11%||22.22%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (174 people, 9.17%)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (121 people, 6.38%)
- Cardiac failure congestive (94 people, 4.95%)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (93 people, 4.90%)
- Pain (91 people, 4.79%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Furosemide (641 people, 33.77%)
- Digoxin (530 people, 27.92%)
- Aspirin (517 people, 27.24%)
- Lasix (494 people, 26.03%)
- Lisinopril (303 people, 15.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spironolactone and breathing difficulty on
Do you have Breathing Difficulty while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Breathing Difficulty
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Breathing Difficulty
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Januvia for a 62-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Feeling Cold, Sleepy, Muscle Cramp, Fatigue, Shortness Of Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Simvastatin, Clopidogrel Bisulfate, Aspirin, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 64-year old man with High Blood Cholesterol, Coronary Artery Occlusion, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
- A study of drug interactions between Spironolactone, Effexor XR for a 34-year old woman with Acne, Anxiety. The patient has Eyes - Sensitive To Light
- A study of drug interactions between Probiotics, Multivitamin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, Diazepam, Oxytocin 5 Usp Units In Dextrose 5%, Levothyroxine Sodium, Breo Ellipta, Prozac for a 46-year old woman with Indigestion, Diffenncy, Difficiency, D Difficiency, Narcolepsy, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Pain, Thyroid Disorder, Copd, Depression. The patient has Narcolepsy, Stress At Work, Frequent Headaches, Chiari Malformation, Constipation, Diarrhea, Nausea, Pain - Joints, Forgetfulness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fecal Leaking, Difficulty Breathing
- A study of side effects of Clomipramine Hydrochloride for a 26-year old man with Obsessive-compulsive Disorder. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
Recent Spironolactone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Goldenseal, Aldactone for a 60-year old woman who has Growth Hormone
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Aldactone, Losartan for a 38-year old woman who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Atorvastatin Calcium, Furosemide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Spironolactone, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Comparions of Lipitor, Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Lasix, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.