Review: could Spironolactone cause High blood sugar (Hyperglycemia)?
Summary: High blood sugar is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Furosemide, and have Neoplasm malignant.
We study 25,382 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 234 have High blood sugar. Find out below who they are, when they have High blood sugar and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spironolactone and have High blood sugar >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 26,454 Spironolactone users)
High blood sugar
High blood sugar (high blood sugar) has been reported by people with diabetes, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 17,136 High blood sugar patients)
On Apr, 28, 2015: 25,382 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 234 people (0.92%) have High Blood Sugar.
Time on Spironolactone when people have High blood sugar * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood sugar||38.46%||23.08%||15.38%||7.69%||7.69%||7.69%||0.00% |
Age of people who have High blood sugar when taking Spironolactone * :
|High blood sugar||1.00%||0.00%||0.50%||0.50%||3.50%||14.50%||15.00%||65.00% |
Severity of High blood sugar when taking Spironolactone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood sugar||0.00%||40.00%||20.00%||40.00% |
How people recovered from High blood sugar ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood sugar||33.33%||0.00%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Neoplasm malignant (31 people, 13.25%)
- Calcium deficiency (31 people, 13.25%)
- Lung neoplasm (30 people, 12.82%)
- Metastases to spine (30 people, 12.82%)
- Hypertension (28 people, 11.97%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Furosemide (96 people, 41.03%)
- Aspirin (92 people, 39.32%)
- Lasix (91 people, 38.89%)
- Coumadin (68 people, 29.06%)
- Digoxin (66 people, 28.21%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spironolactone and high blood sugar on
Do you have High Blood Sugar while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have High Blood Sugar
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have High Blood Sugar
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Norvasc, Multivitamin, Horse Chestnut, Omega 3, Saw Palmetto, Metformin, Aspirin, Atenolol, Glimepiride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Fosinopril Sodium for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Deficiency, Swelling Of The Ankles - Feet - Legs, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Ischaemic Heart Disease. The patient has Peripheral Artery Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, High Blood Sugar
- A study of side effects of Spironolactone for a 64-year old woman with Acne. The patient has Flatulence
- A study of side effects of Tamoxifen Citrate for a 50-year old woman with Cancer - Breast. The patient has High Blood Sugar
- A study of side effects of Butrans for a 56-year old woman with Pain. The patient has High Blood Glucose Level
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Potassium Chloride, Furosemide, Magnesium Chloride, Spironolactone for a 47-year old woman with Pain, Potassium - Low, Edema, Low Blood Magnesium. The patient has Abnormal Weight Gain, Depression Postmenopausal, Eczema Nummular, Edema
Recent Spironolactone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Goldenseal, Aldactone for a 60-year old woman who has Growth Hormone
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Aldactone, Losartan for a 38-year old woman who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Atorvastatin Calcium, Furosemide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Spironolactone, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Comparions of Lipitor, Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Lasix, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.