Review: could Spironolactone cause Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 25,377 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 111 have Hypothyroidism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypothyroidism and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 26,449 Spironolactone users)
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 49,666 Hypothyroidism patients)
On Mar, 17, 2015: 25,375 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 111 people (0.44%) have Hypothyroidism.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Hypothyroidism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone * :
Severity of Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone ** :
How people recovered from Hypothyroidism ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (17 people, 15.32%)
- Cardiac failure (10 people, 9.01%)
- Tachycardia (8 people, 7.21%)
- Oedema (8 people, 7.21%)
- Calcium deficiency (7 people, 6.31%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (40 people, 36.04%)
- Digoxin (39 people, 35.14%)
- Furosemide (38 people, 34.23%)
- Lasix (36 people, 32.43%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (32 people, 28.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spironolactone and hypothyroidism on
Do you have Hypothyroidism while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of side effects of Provera for a 20-year old woman with Amenorrhoea. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of side effects of NyQuil for a 46-year old woman with Sleep - Natural Short Sleeper. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development)
- A study of drug interactions between Senna, Levothyroxine Sodium, Paxil Cr, Oxycodone, Omeprazole for a 44-year old woman with Constipation, Hypothyroidism, Anxiety Disorder, Degenerative Joint Disease, Gerd. The patient has Hypothyroidism, Swollen Eye Or Conjunctiva, Swollen Eyelid, Swollen Lymph Nodes, Gerd
- A study of side effects of Sulfasalazine for a 41-year old woman with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Ulcerative Colitis. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Anemia - Hemolytic (anaemia due to haemolysis, the abnormal breakdown of red blood cells (rbcs), either in the blood vessels (intravascular haemolysis) or elsewhere in the human body (extra vascular))
Recent Spironolactone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Goldenseal, Aldactone for a 60-year old woman who has Growth Hormone
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Aldactone, Losartan for a 38-year old woman who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Atorvastatin Calcium, Furosemide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Spironolactone, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Comparions of Lipitor, Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Lasix, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.