Review: could Spironolactone cause Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have High blood pressure.
We study 25,351 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 111 have Hypothyroidism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypothyroidism and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from Spironolactone 26,426 users)
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Hypothyroidism 43,269 patients)
On Dec, 14, 2014: 25,351 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 111 people (0.44%) have Hypothyroidism.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Hypothyroidism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone * :
Severity of Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone ** :
How people recovered from Hypothyroidism ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (17 people, 15.32%)
- Cardiac failure (10 people, 9.01%)
- Tachycardia (8 people, 7.21%)
- Oedema (8 people, 7.21%)
- Calcium deficiency (7 people, 6.31%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (40 people, 36.04%)
- Digoxin (39 people, 35.14%)
- Furosemide (38 people, 34.23%)
- Lasix (36 people, 32.43%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (32 people, 28.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- Does aldactone work on blonde facial hair
Blonde vellus facial hair after taking a hair tonic tablet by fusion and also removel of hair caused it to Grow longer and more
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning and by midday today the side effects were unbearable. I am nauseous, have diarrhea, and a very severe headache. This didn't happen with Omeprazole. Do you think this is a drug interaction or is there some difference between the two that I am perhaps sensitive to?
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Methotrexate. Has anyone taken this for GA, and if so, can you please tell me if it is working, side effects etc?
I am desperate for some relief!
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
More questions for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- Abnormal orgasm after likely caused by taking spironolactone
I was taking Spironolactone to assist with hairloss for approx 7 years. Although the drug did help to stop hair falling out it also caused abnormal orgasm and after 12 months of not taking the drug I am still unable to climax normally. My doctor cannot give me a full explanation for this.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory problem but rather problems remembering words from time to time. I ended up having to take magnesium for leg cramps that developed from taking omeprazole.
- Lipitor bad reaction
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids have celiac disease and her Gastroenterologist said I should have a blood test to see if I have the gene as well. My internist Poo poohed me and did not want me to have the test. That was when I totally lost faith in her. I insisted on the test and lo and behold I have 2 of the genes. I also had a rash that she kept telling me was from sweat, but gave me no other info. As soon as I stopped eating gluten the rash went away.About that time I had a headache so severe that I went to the ER. The dr there thought I was having a stroke. The pain was so bad I vomited several times. That's when I stopped the lipitor and synthroid and quit going to her. I am totally headache free now. Took about 6 months for them to totally go away. I can also sleep all night again. I don't know if the problem was from the synthroid or lipitor.
- Ovary pain disappeared
I have been taking Spironolactone 50mg for over a year that was prescribed by my dermatologist for acne. Prior to this I had daily pain in my right ovary for the previous 2 years with laproscopic surgery for tubal ligation the gyn did not see anything on this ovary to cause the pain, but my pain is gone when I'm taking Sprionolactone. I also did not have a period for 10 months until I recently took a break from Spironolactone. The pain came back and I had a period. I have not discussed this yet with my gynocologist but plan to on my next visit.
More reviews for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
- Hand tremors, voi e tremors, noint pain to hips and shoulders, worse on dominate side, severe, unable to feed with fork, have to eat finger foods and drink from a straw. I was taken off wellbutrin had withdraws after 4 days, started back and now have all symptoMs of Parkinson's. Any information is h ...
- Extended remicade every 2 months now 5 vials. Had me stop methetrexate liver enlarged.
Over due for remicade infusion and experiencing extreme
Fatigue, loss appetite, slept 4days didn't eat or drink or wake up confused state of mind.
Went to emergency did X-rays, cat scan, stomache and head. ...
- Have been experiencing breast tenderness since starting atorvastatin. Have also been undergoing various tests (pap test, intravaginal ultrasound, uterine biopsy, hysteroscopy & d&c) during this same time period because of postmenopausal bleeding.
More related studies for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.