Home > Spironolactone > Hypothyroidism > Spironolactone and Hypothyroidism
Review: could Spironolactone cause Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Aspirin, and have Hypertension.
We study 25,348 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 111 have Hypothyroidism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypothyroidism and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism >>>
Spironolactone (latest outcomes from 26,420 users) has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne.
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) (latest reports from 43,269 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis.
On Nov, 12, 2014: 25,348 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 111 people (0.44%) have Hypothyroidism.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Hypothyroidism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone * :
Severity of Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone ** :
How people recovered from Hypothyroidism ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (17 people, 15.32%)
- Cardiac failure (10 people, 9.01%)
- Tachycardia (8 people, 7.21%)
- Oedema (8 people, 7.21%)
- Calcium deficiency (7 people, 6.31%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (40 people, 36.04%)
- Digoxin (39 people, 35.14%)
- Furosemide (38 people, 34.23%)
- Lasix (36 people, 32.43%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (32 people, 28.83%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
(Asked by a 66 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- Does aldactone work on blonde facial hair
(Asked by a 29 year old woman who has Facial Hair , and takes Aldactone )
Blonde vellus facial hair after taking a hair tonic tablet by fusion and also removel of hair caused it to Grow longer and more
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
(Asked by a 39 year old woman who has Hormone Level Nos Abnormal, Hypothyroidism, Tinnitus, Migraine With Aura, Blood Pressure Fluctuation, Insomnia, Ulcer - Stomach, and takes Lasix, Topamax, Levothyroxine Thyroid, Inderal, Pantoprazole)
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning a ...
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, Granuloma Annulare, and takes Topamax, Calcium , Vitamin D, Zetia, Effexor Xr, Levoxyl)
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Met ...
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Armour Thyroid)
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
More questions for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
(Posted by a 38 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Levothyroxine Sodium)
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- Abnormal orgasm after likely caused by taking spironolactone
(Posted by a 51 year old woman who has Hair Loss In Women, and takes Spironolactone)
I was taking Spironolactone to assist with hairloss for approx 7 years. Although the drug did help to stop hair falling out it also caused abnormal orgasm and after 12 months of not taking the drug I am still unable to climax normally. My doctor cannot give me a full explanation for this.
- My memory loss due to omeprazole
(Posted by a 70 year old woman who has Hypothyroidism, and takes Omeprazole)
I took omeprazole for 20 years until I developed edema of the lower extremities. I started having memory problems right away and they still persist even though I have not taken omeprazole now for about 6 yrs. I am hoping it will dissipate or clear my system. I do not have a constant memory proble ...
- Lipitor bad reaction
(Posted by a 63 year old woman who has Severe Migraine, Hypothyroidism, and takes Lipitor)
I was on lipitor for 5 years started at 10mg and the headaches started. At 5 years on I was up to 80mg and had severe migraines every day. Was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism and given synthroid. Also had a prescription for migraine meds that did nothing. My daughter found out she and her kids ha ...
- Ovary pain disappeared
(Posted by a 43 year old woman who has Ovarian Cyst, and takes Spironolactone)
I have been taking Spironolactone 50mg for over a year that was prescribed by my dermatologist for acne. Prior to this I had daily pain in my right ovary for the previous 2 years with laproscopic surgery for tubal ligation the gyn did not see anything on this ovary to cause the pain, but my pain is ...
More reviews for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
- A study of drug interactions between Multivitamin, Niacin, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Pantoprazole, Tramadol Hydrochloride And Acetaminophen for a patient with Supplement, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Vitamin B-12 Level, Acid Reflux, Pain In Limb. The patient has Hypothyroidism
Comments: I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- A study of drug interactions between Chondroitin And Glucosamine, Venastat, Vitamin D, Warfarin Sodium, Spironolactone, Lisinopril, Januvia, Hydrochlorothiazide, Levemir, Humalog, Glimepiride, Furosemide, Carvedilol, Pravastatin Sodium, Digoxin, Amiodarone Hydrochloride for a patient with Joint Pain, Swollen Ankles And Kneew, General Health, Atrial Fibrillation, Congestive Heart Failure, Diabetes, Atrial Tachycardia. The patient has Personality Changes, Anger, Fixation On A Desired Purchase, Memory Problems
Comments: Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
- A study of drug interactions between Lotensin, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Topamax, Aldactone, Lasix, Metformin, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin Sr for a patient with Birth Control, Insomnia, Migraine, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (pcos), Depression. The patient has Tremor
Comments: Hand tremors, voi e tremors, noint pain to hips and shoulders, worse on dominate side, severe, unable to feed with fork, have to eat finger foods and drink from a straw. I was taken off wellbutrin had withdraws after 4 days, started back and now have all symptoMs of Parkinson's. Any information is h ...
- A study of drug interactions between Potassium Chloride 20meq In Dextrose 5% And Sodium Chloride 0.45% In Plastic Container, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Spironolactone, Lorazepam, Sertraline, Methotrexate, Remicade for a patient with Potassium - Low, Pain - Bones, Fluid In The Chest, Anxiety, Psoriatic Arthritis. The patient has Enlarged Liver, Guttate Psoriasis, Arthritis - Psoriatic
Comments: Extended remicade every 2 months now 5 vials. Had me stop methetrexate liver enlarged.
Over due for remicade infusion and experiencing extreme
Fatigue, loss appetite, slept 4days didn't eat or drink or wake up confused state of mind.
Went to emergency did X-rays, cat scan, stomache and head. ...
- A study of drug interactions between Spironolactone, Atorvastatin Calcium, Oxcarbazepine, Propranolol Hydrochloride And Hydrochlorothiazide, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Alprazolam for a patient with Excessive Or Unwanted Hair In Women, Lipids Abnormal, Mood Stabilizer, Add, Chronic Depression, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Breast Tenderness
Comments: Have been experiencing breast tenderness since starting atorvastatin. Have also been undergoing various tests (pap test, intravaginal ultrasound, uterine biopsy, hysteroscopy & d&c) during this same time period because of postmenopausal bleeding.
More related studies for: Spironolactone, Hypothyroidism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.