Review: could Spironolactone cause Urinary tract infection?
Summary: Urinary tract infection is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Lasix, and have High blood pressure.
We study 25,377 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 623 have Urinary tract infection. Find out below who they are, when they have Urinary tract infection and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Urinary tract infection >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 26,449 Spironolactone users)
Urinary tract infection
Urinary tract infection has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, pain. (latest reports from 73,291 Urinary tract infection patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 25,375 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 623 people (2.46%) have Urinary Tract Infection.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Urinary tract infection * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Urinary tract infection||18.18%||72.73%||0.00%||4.55%||0.00%||0.00%||4.55% |
Age of people who have Urinary tract infection when taking Spironolactone * :
|Urinary tract infection||0.00%||1.19%||0.51%||4.61%||5.12%||12.12%||14.85%||61.60% |
Severity of Urinary tract infection when taking Spironolactone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Urinary tract infection||40.00%||60.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Urinary tract infection ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Urinary tract infection||33.33%||33.33%||33.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (44 people, 7.06%)
- Atrial fibrillation (39 people, 6.26%)
- Pain (36 people, 5.78%)
- Osteoporosis (29 people, 4.65%)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (26 people, 4.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (193 people, 30.98%)
- Furosemide (186 people, 29.86%)
- Aspirin (185 people, 29.70%)
- Digoxin (178 people, 28.57%)
- Lisinopril (135 people, 21.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spironolactone and urinary tract infection on
Do you have Urinary Tract Infection while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Urinary Tract Infection
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Urinary Tract Infection
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Tamoxifen Citrate, Taxol for a 58-year old woman with Breast Cancer Recurrent, Cancer - Breast. The patient has Urinary Tract Infection
- A study of side effects of Spironolactone for a 66-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Leg Cramping
- A study of drug interactions between Lotensin, HCTZ, Nexium for a 59-year old woman with Hypertension, Gerd. The patient has Joint Pain, Uti
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Spironolactone, Coreg for a 71-year old woman with Cardiac Failure Congestive, Cardiac Failure. The patient has Vertigo Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Victoza, Spironolactone, Metformin for a 45-year old woman with Pcos. The patient has Vaginal Bleeding Between Periods
Recent Spironolactone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Goldenseal, Aldactone for a 60-year old woman who has Growth Hormone
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Aldactone, Losartan for a 38-year old woman who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Atorvastatin Calcium, Furosemide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Spironolactone, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Comparions of Lipitor, Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Lasix, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.