Review: could Spironolactone cause Urinary tract infection?
Summary: Urinary tract infection is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Lasix, and have Hypertension.
We study 25,351 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 578 have Urinary tract infection. Find out below who they are, when they have Urinary tract infection and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Urinary tract infection >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from Spironolactone 26,426 users)
Urinary tract infection
Urinary Tract Infection has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, pain.(latest reports from Urinary Tract Infection 71,618 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 25,348 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 623 people (2.46%) have Urinary Tract Infection.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Urinary tract infection * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Urinary tract infection||18.18%||72.73%||0.00%||4.55%||0.00%||0.00%||4.55% |
Age of people who have Urinary tract infection when taking Spironolactone * :
|Urinary tract infection||0.00%||1.19%||0.51%||4.61%||5.12%||12.12%||14.85%||61.60% |
Severity of Urinary tract infection when taking Spironolactone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Urinary tract infection||40.00%||60.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Urinary tract infection ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Urinary tract infection||33.33%||33.33%||33.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (44 people, 7.06%)
- Atrial fibrillation (39 people, 6.26%)
- Pain (36 people, 5.78%)
- Osteoporosis (29 people, 4.65%)
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension (26 people, 4.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (193 people, 30.98%)
- Furosemide (186 people, 29.86%)
- Aspirin (185 people, 29.70%)
- Digoxin (178 people, 28.57%)
- Lisinopril (135 people, 21.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Urinary Tract Infection while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Urinary Tract Infection
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Urinary Tract Infection
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does aldactone work on blonde facial hair
Blonde vellus facial hair after taking a hair tonic tablet by fusion and also removel of hair caused it to Grow longer and more
- Warfarin and urinary infections (1 answer)
HELP! Hello we are in the UK - my husband had an aortic valve replacement 4 years ago - he is now 61 and on warfarin. Over the past few years, since his AVR, he has had about 4/5 urinary infections which have caused him to be hospitalised with very high temperature/rigors etc. The medical profession in the UK seem to think there is no correlation between warfarin and urinary infections. He has been checked out to see if there is a problem with his bladder/prostrate/kidneys but all are okay and the only link we can see is when his warfarin is increased to a high dose (10mg or above) he gets this infection.
Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know where I could go for more information on a possible link?
Thank you for your help.
- Congestive heart failure w/ejection faction 15-20%-meds causing extreme bone pain
diagnosed congested Heart failure.ejection fraction 15-20% went on meds and after a week suffered extreme (scale 1-10 it would be11) can't sit, sleep bone pain in back hip leg,even sitting on toilet is torture. Stopped everything and after a week pain is almost gone. See doc in 2 days will they find anything that won't cause this reaction. I am used to pain and this isn't a little bachache. I pray for help. thank you
- Can i take my macrobid while i have a hangover? is it safe?
Help me please! I really need to know if I can take my pill (macrobid) when I have a hangover
- Can aperson be treated for hep c when they have an avm
I just wanted to know if it was safe to receive treatment for hep c while still having a portion of my avm still existing
More questions for: Spironolactone, Urinary tract infection
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Urinary track infection and bydureon
After 7 weeks of nausea vomiting and diarrhea I got a uti that was hard to get rid of. I also have an inflammation of sacaril nerve. Have had antibiotics and steroids. It is still hurting after 2 months.Don't know if this is connected but is a fact.
- Abnormal orgasm after likely caused by taking spironolactone
I was taking Spironolactone to assist with hairloss for approx 7 years. Although the drug did help to stop hair falling out it also caused abnormal orgasm and after 12 months of not taking the drug I am still unable to climax normally. My doctor cannot give me a full explanation for this.
- Ovary pain disappeared
I have been taking Spironolactone 50mg for over a year that was prescribed by my dermatologist for acne. Prior to this I had daily pain in my right ovary for the previous 2 years with laproscopic surgery for tubal ligation the gyn did not see anything on this ovary to cause the pain, but my pain is gone when I'm taking Sprionolactone. I also did not have a period for 10 months until I recently took a break from Spironolactone. The pain came back and I had a period. I have not discussed this yet with my gynocologist but plan to on my next visit.
- Breast enlargement and tenderness
starting taking spironolactone approximately one year ago to help with chronic kidney failure. Soon experienced enlargement of both breast and tenderness. Stopped taking the med and enlargement returned to normal but soreness continues. Some days are worse than others.
- I have twice developed a uti after injection of prolia
I have taken Prolia for 2 years..4 injections. After the last 2 injections within 2 weeks I developed severe cystitis and had to go on course of antibiotics. I am fearful of continuing this medication as the last infection caused me to be treated at the emergency room.
More reviews for: Spironolactone, Urinary tract infection
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have been experiencing reoccurring UTI's and now have symptoms of acid reflux. I started taking Savella about 2 years ago. So I am trying to determine if these symptoms could be being caused by the medications.
- Over past year, symptoms of mental slowness and inability to process data to a final result observed. During past month, frustration and anger has erupted with little or no provocation. Cognitive ability decreased. Balance somewhat compromised. Desire to purchase an RV has increased over 11 month ...
- Hand tremors, voi e tremors, noint pain to hips and shoulders, worse on dominate side, severe, unable to feed with fork, have to eat finger foods and drink from a straw. I was taken off wellbutrin had withdraws after 4 days, started back and now have all symptoMs of Parkinson's. Any information is h ...
- Extended remicade every 2 months now 5 vials. Had me stop methetrexate liver enlarged.
Over due for remicade infusion and experiencing extreme
Fatigue, loss appetite, slept 4days didn't eat or drink or wake up confused state of mind.
Went to emergency did X-rays, cat scan, stomache and head. ...
- Have been experiencing breast tenderness since starting atorvastatin. Have also been undergoing various tests (pap test, intravaginal ultrasound, uterine biopsy, hysteroscopy & d&c) during this same time period because of postmenopausal bleeding.
More related studies for: Spironolactone, Urinary tract infection
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.