Review: could Spironolactone cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Furosemide, and have Cardiac disorder.
We study 25,375 people who have side effects while taking Spironolactone from FDA and social media. Among them, 628 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Weight gain >>>
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from 26,449 Spironolactone users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,623 Weight gain patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 25,375 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone. Among them, 628 people (2.47%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Spironolactone when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||15.15%||21.21%||12.12%||12.12%||33.33%||3.03%||3.03% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Spironolactone * :
|Weight gain||0.52%||0.87%||1.04%||2.09%||6.61%||25.57%||16.00%||47.30% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Spironolactone ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||5.88%||11.76%||76.47%||5.88% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Cardiac disorder (52 people, 8.28%)
- Obesity (49 people, 7.80%)
- Fluid retention (44 people, 7.01%)
- Muscle spasms (36 people, 5.73%)
- Feeling jittery (35 people, 5.57%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Furosemide (246 people, 39.17%)
- Lasix (199 people, 31.69%)
- Aspirin (192 people, 30.57%)
- Digoxin (157 people, 25.00%)
- Lisinopril (150 people, 23.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of spironolactone and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Spironolactone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Spironolactone and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Spironolactone
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metoprolol Succinate, Methotrexate Sodium Preservative Free, Plavix, Plaquenil, Humira, Folic Acid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 59-year old woman with Coronary Artery Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, High Blood Cholesterol. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Lithium Carbonate for a 67-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development), Dry Mouth, Weight Gain, Sleepiness - During The Day (excess sleeping during day time)
- A study of drug interactions between Alesse, Garcinia Cambogia for a 34-year old woman with Premenstrual Syndrome, Weight Loss. The patient has Fluid Retention, Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Bricanyl, Ventolin for a 51-year old man with Asthma. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Junel 1.5/30, Ferrous Fumarate, Abilify for a 20-year old woman with Birth Control, Iron Deficiency, Depression. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol, Iron Deficiency, Weight Gain
Recent Spironolactone related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Goldenseal, Aldactone for a 60-year old woman who has Growth Hormone
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Aldactone, Losartan for a 38-year old woman who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Atorvastatin Calcium, Furosemide, Levothyroxine Sodium, Spironolactone, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- Comparions of Lipitor, Levothyroxine Sodium, Aldactone, Lasix, Remodulin for a 70-year old woman who has Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.