Review: could Strattera cause Serotonin syndrome?
Summary: Serotonin syndrome is found among people who take Strattera, especially for people who are male, 2-9 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zoloft, and have Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
We study 18,433 people who have side effects while taking Strattera from FDA and social media. Among them, 23 have Serotonin syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Serotonin syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Strattera and have Serotonin syndrome >>>
Strattera has active ingredients of atomoxetine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 19,164 Strattera users)
Serotonin syndrome (occurs when two drugs that affect the body's level of serotonin are taken together at the same time) has been reported by people with depression, pain, stress and anxiety, major depression, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 6,559 Serotonin syndrome patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 18,432 people reported to have side effects when taking Strattera. Among them, 23 people (0.12%) have Serotonin Syndrome.
Time on Strattera when people have Serotonin syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Serotonin syndrome||57.14%||28.57%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||14.29%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Strattera * :
|Serotonin syndrome||42.86%||57.14% |
Age of people who have Serotonin syndrome when taking Strattera * :
|Serotonin syndrome||0.00%||29.17%||25.00%||4.17%||12.50%||25.00%||4.17%||0.00% |
Severity of Serotonin syndrome when taking Strattera ** :
How people recovered from Serotonin syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (21 people, 91.30%)
- Depression (3 people, 13.04%)
- Oppositional defiant disorder (2 people, 8.70%)
- Bipolar disorder (2 people, 8.70%)
- Migraine (1 people, 4.35%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zoloft (4 people, 17.39%)
- Lexapro (4 people, 17.39%)
- Prozac (4 people, 17.39%)
- Tenex (2 people, 8.70%)
- Seroquel (2 people, 8.70%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of strattera and serotonin syndrome on
Do you have Serotonin Syndrome while taking Strattera?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Strattera and have Serotonin Syndrome
- support group for people who take Strattera
- support group for people who have Serotonin Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Tramadol, Fetzima for a 58-year old woman with Pain - Bones, Chronic Depression. The patient has Serotonin Syndrome
- A study of side effects of Strattera for a 55-year old woman with ADHD. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of drug interactions between Antabuse, Clonidine, Strattera, Cymbalta, Abilify, Depakote for a 46-year old woman with Addiction, Hypertension, Add, Depression, Bipolar 1. The patient has Sleepiness - During The Day
- A study of drug interactions between Lantus, Novolog, Strattera for a 7-year old boy with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, Attention Deficit Disorder With Hyperactivity. The patient has Low Blood Sugar
- A study of side effects of Strattera for a 53-year old woman with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The patient has High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides
Recent Strattera related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Concerta, Intuniv, Strattera, Vyvanse, Adderall for a 19-year old boy who has Inattentive
- Comparions of Strattera, Vyvanse, Concerta for a 15-year old boy who has ADHD
- Comparions of Atomoxetine Hydrochloride, Concerta for a 25-year old man who has ADHD
- Comparions of Vyvanse, Atomoxetine Hydrochloride, Daytrana for a 20-year old man who has ADHD
- Comparions of Modafinil, Clonidine, Atomoxetine Hydrochloride, Vyvanse, Daytrana for a 43-year old man who has ADHD
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.