Review: could Sudafed cause Meniere's disease?
Summary: Meniere's disease is found among people who take Sudafed, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Sudafed 12 hour, and have Respiratory disorder.
We study 3,922 people who have side effects while taking Sudafed from FDA and social media. Among them, 20 have Meniere's disease. Find out below who they are, when they have Meniere's disease and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Sudafed and have Meniere's disease >>>
Sudafed has active ingredients of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. It is often used in nasal congestion. (latest outcomes from Sudafed 5,158 users)
Meniere's disease (a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, high blood pressure, gastrooesophageal reflux disease, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from Meniere's disease 1,417 patients)
On Nov, 29, 2014: 3,921 people reported to have side effects when taking Sudafed. Among them, 20 people (0.51%) have Meniere's Disease.
Time on Sudafed when people have Meniere's disease * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Meniere's disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Meniere's disease when taking Sudafed * :
|Meniere's disease||9.52%||90.48% |
Age of people who have Meniere's disease when taking Sudafed * :
|Meniere's disease||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Severity of Meniere's disease when taking Sudafed ** :
How people recovered from Meniere's disease ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Respiratory disorder (17 people, 85.00%)
- Malaria prophylaxis (17 people, 85.00%)
- Insomnia (2 people, 10.00%)
- Hypersensitivity (2 people, 10.00%)
- Meniere's disease (2 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Sudafed 12 hour (19 people, 95.00%)
- Lariam (17 people, 85.00%)
- Topiramate (2 people, 10.00%)
- Valproate sodium (2 people, 10.00%)
- Trazodone hcl (2 people, 10.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Meniere's Disease while taking Sudafed?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Sudafed and have Meniere's Disease
- support group for people who take Sudafed
- support group for people who have Meniere's Disease
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can acyclovir cause shortness of breath?
(Asked by a 59 year old woman who has Meniere's Disease, and takes Acyclovir)
I have tried acyclovir and valtrex 3x now with the same feeling or shortness of breath, My peak flow and sats are fine. I have asthma and allergies
- Hallucinations and skin thas red and hurts
(Asked by a 46 year old woman who has Hallucinations.skin Thats Red Like A Sun Burn And Mouth Blisters, and takes Hydrochlorothiazide, Sudafed, Levothyroxine Thyroid)
I am having horrable hallucinations.manic episodes because i slam on the brakes to avoid people or animals that are not there.i feel like im going to razy.high bood pressure, heavy breathing and anxiety.my face and body have spoys that are like a sun burn and blisters in my mouth.emergency room accu ...
- Wondering if dexilant is causing my problem (2 answers)
(Asked by a 61 year old man who has Do Not Urinate Much In Evening, Have To Urinate 3 Or 4 Times At Night, and takes Methocarbamol And Aspirin, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, Ibuprofen, Rosuvastatin Calcium, Atenolol, Ramipril, Amlodipine, Dexilant )
have had my prostate checked by urologist and prostate is slightly enlarged but not enough to cause problems.urinary track ok,bladder ok etc.
drank a liter of water and bladder emptied ok in test.
seem to urinate good after consuming coffee or beer but lately having more whiskey than beer.
when I ...
- Could this drug cause periodontal bone loss, bone loss around teeth (4 answers)
(Asked by a 64 year old man who has Periodontal Bone Loss, Bone Loss Around Teeth , and takes Guaifenesin, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, Turmeric, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine, Celexa, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Pentoxifylline, Garcinia Cambogia, Carbamazepine, Tamsulosin, Lisinopril, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Flunisolide)
Do you suffer from periodontal bone loss or periodontal disease, or bone loss around teeth after taking this drug? Are your sodium levels low after taking this drug? I am a dentist and keep my teeth plaque free, but have had periodontal bone loss for which, I believe, must be drug related.
- Can i take saphris with sudafed and benadryl
(Asked by a 25 year old man who has Bipolar Plus Cold And Flu And Cough, and takes Saphris, Sudafed, Benadryl)
Is it ok to take sudafed and Benadryl cold and flu tablets with saphris bipolar tablets?
More questions for: Sudafed, Meniere's disease
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Wheezing stopped after topamax sessesion
(Posted by a 62 year old woman who has Meniere's Disease, Fibromyalgia Syndrome, Migraines, and takes Fexofenadine Hydrochloride)
Wheezing noted by primary physician in this non-smoker. Stopped Topamax per doctor's instruction. 48 hours later was examined by physician and noted that wheezing stopped.
- Dizzy spells and garcinia (1 response)
(Posted by a 54 year old woman who has Meniere's Disease, and takes Garcinia Cambogia)
I wanted to lose weight and saw all this about the Garcinia Cambogia. I did in fact lose 5 pounds within weeks and was so happy. Then I started having dizzy spells and vertigo episodes all the time so I had to stop. This was the only thing different I was doing and they have since stopped since I ga ...
- Skin burning sensation with delsym (1 response)
(Posted by a 36 year old woman who has Skin Burning Sensation, and takes Wellbutrin Sr, Sudafed)
I had been sick for about a week and had been taking Sudafed every 4-6 hours for congestion for the past couple of days. I also take wellbutrin SR daily as an antidepressant. I started taking the suspension formula of Delsym 12 hour release about 24 hours previously (so I had already had two doses ...
- Bad nosebleed (sudafed related?) (1 response)
(Posted by a 48 year old man who has Rhinitis Medicamentosa, and takes Phenylephrine Hydrochloride, Ocuclear, Flonase, Sudafed 12 Hour, Zicam)
I have the rhinitis as a result of rebound syndrome from using nasal sprays for years. I use the Flonase to somewhat alleviate the need for the over-the-counter sprays (first two drugs listed). In spite of that, I rarely, if ever, have nosebleeds. I also rarely, if ever, get colds. However, yesterda ...
More reviews for: Sudafed, Meniere's disease
- A study of drug interactions between Pepcid, Sudafed, Aspirin, Cymbalta for a patient with GERD, Ear Congestion, Blood Thinner, Depression. The patient has Cough
Comments: Coughing is severe often to the point that things go black and there is a ringing in my ears. I have never passed out, though I often think I may. I have allergies and my coughing onset is usually due to aspiration of food drink or sinus drainage. Sometimes It begins with a sharp tickle in my lar ...
- A study of drug interactions between Bupropion Hydrochloride, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, Levothyroxine Sodium, Zolpidem Tartrate, Clonazepam, Albuterol Sulfate, Advair Diskus 500/50 for a patient with Major Depression, Copd, Thyroid Disorder, Chronic Insomnia. The patient has Chronic Depression
Comments: Had Turp 4.5 yrs ago, have had retrograde ejaculation since procedure.
Bupropion, Take two 200mg in morning and one 200mg in the evening
Use nebulizer 4 or more times per day. Recently changed to clonazepam, had been on alprazolam 1 mg 3 times a day.
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Crestor, Simvastatin, Xanax, Zoloft, Adderall 30, Sudafed, Proair Hfa, Advair Diskus 250/50, Zyrtec for a patient with IgA Deficiency, High Blood Cholesterol, Anxiety And Stress, Mood Swings, Adhd, Sinus Pain, Asthma, Jet Lag, All. The patient has Heart Pounding Or Racing, Eye Pain, Pain - Leg, Ibs, Fatigue - Chronic, Allergy To Chemicals, Barium Swallow, Chest Tightness Or Pressure, Pain - Joints, Short-term Memory Loss
Comments: I use to use birth control patch For a couple years.
then novuring for a couple years.
Then had an essure inplant procedure in 2008 and had to have a hysterectomy due to complications resulting in all these medications and symptoms along with many more.
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Neurological Infection. The patient has Meniere's Disease (a disorder of the inner ear that can affect hearing and balance to a varying degree)
Comments: After 7 weeks on azithromycin 500mg IV daily, with pre-existing tinnitus, developed sudden hearing loss left ear. IV zithromax discontinued 3 days later. 4 days after Azithromycin discontinued, experienced vertigo; diagnosed with Meniere's disease.
- A study of drug interactions between Flexeril, Vicodin, Sudafed, Guaifenesin, Ibuprofen, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, Iron Dextran, Diovan, Simvastatin, Metoprolol Succinate, Amlodipine Besylate, Synthroid, Risperdal, Depakote Er, Bupropion Hydrochloride for a patient with Low Back Pain, Sinusitis, Cough, Pain, Vitamin D Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Anemia, Protein Urine Present, Hypertension, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Cough
Comments: While I had the flu I began using guaifenesin and Sudafed to try to relieve the symptoms of sinus discharge, post-nasal drip and phlegm, and cough. I have mostly recovered but still cough a lot due to excessive sinus drainage and phlegm in my lungs.
More related studies for: Sudafed, Meniere's disease
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.