Review: could Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim cause Clostridium difficile colitis?
Summary: Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Fluconazole, and have Urinary tract infection.
We study 5,543 people who have side effects while taking Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim from FDA and social media. Among them, 22 have Clostridium difficile colitis. Find out below who they are, when they have Clostridium difficile colitis and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim and have Clostridium difficile colitis >>>
Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim
Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim has active ingredients of sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from 5,756 Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim users)
Clostridium difficile colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 3,640 Clostridium difficile colitis patients)
On Mar, 7, 2015: 5,543 people reported to have side effects when taking Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. Among them, 22 people (0.40%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis.
Time on Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim when people have Clostridium difficile colitis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Clostridium difficile colitis||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||55.00%||45.00% |
Age of people who have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim * :
|Clostridium difficile colitis||0.00%||0.00%||9.09%||0.00%||0.00%||27.27%||27.27%||36.36% |
Severity of Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim ** :
How people recovered from Clostridium difficile colitis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Urinary tract infection (5 people, 22.73%)
- Prophylaxis (4 people, 18.18%)
- Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (2 people, 9.09%)
- Chronic graft versus host disease (2 people, 9.09%)
- Glomerulonephritis rapidly progressive (2 people, 9.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fluconazole (9 people, 40.91%)
- Mycophenolate mofetil (8 people, 36.36%)
- Prednisone (6 people, 27.27%)
- Methylprednisolone (5 people, 22.73%)
- Ciprofloxacin (5 people, 22.73%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim and clostridium difficile colitis on
Do you have Clostridium Difficile Colitis while taking Sulfamethoxazole And Trimethoprim?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim and have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
- support group for people who take Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim
- support group for people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Bactrim for a 18-year old girl with Urinary Tract Infection. The patient has Abdominal Pain Lower
- A study of side effects of Bactrim Ds for a 31-year old woman with Infection. The patient has Incontinence - Urinary (involuntary leakage of urine)
- A study of side effects of Bactrim Ds for a 17-year old boy with Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Persistent Cloaca (complex anorectal and genitourinary malformation)
- A study of drug interactions between Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Aleve, Lipitor, Terbinafine Hydrochloride, Bactrim DS, Tamsulosin for a 68-year old man with Insomnia, Prostate Seed Implant, High Blood Cholesterol, Toe Fungus, Post Prostate Surgery Syndrome, Urinary Tract Disorder. The patient has Weight Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Ambien, Bactrim, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Methylprednisolone, Glipizide, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Carafate for a 77-year old man with Bone Marrow Aspiration, Insomnia, Uti, Pain, Inflammation, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux. The patient has Weakness, Hiccups
Recent Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.