Review: could Sumatriptan cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Sumatriptan, especially for people who are female, 10-19 old, have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Sumatriptan succinate, and have Interstitial nephritis.
We study 3,336 people who have side effects while taking Sumatriptan from FDA and social media. Among them, 22 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Sumatriptan and have Hair loss >>>
Sumatriptan has active ingredients of sumatriptan succinate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from 3,723 Sumatriptan users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 3,336 people reported to have side effects when taking Sumatriptan. Among them, 22 people (0.66%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Sumatriptan when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||50.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Sumatriptan * :
|Hair loss||95.24%||4.76% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Sumatriptan * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||36.84%||0.00%||10.53%||31.58%||10.53%||10.53% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Sumatriptan ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||50.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Tubulointerstitial nephritis (6 people, 27.27%)
- Crohn's disease (6 people, 27.27%)
- Migraine (5 people, 22.73%)
- Multiple sclerosis (2 people, 9.09%)
- Plantar fasciitis (2 people, 9.09%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Sumatriptan succinate (14 people, 63.64%)
- Propranolol (8 people, 36.36%)
- Prednisone (7 people, 31.82%)
- Sertraline hydrochloride (6 people, 27.27%)
- Cyclophosphamide (6 people, 27.27%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of sumatriptan and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Sumatriptan?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Sumatriptan and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Sumatriptan
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Hydralazine Hydrochloride for a 56-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Amlodipine Besylate for a 66-year old woman with Hypertension. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Diazepam for a 32-year old woman with Stress And Anxiety. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of drug interactions between Centrum, Biotin, Lexapro, Vitamin D, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Losartan for a 65-year old woman with Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Hair Growth Abnormal, Anxiety Disorder, Vitamin D Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Hair Loss, Night Sweats
- A study of drug interactions between Zoloft, Hydrochlorothiazide, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 65-year old woman with Panic Attack, High Blood Pressure. The patient has Hair Loss, Abdominal Bloating, Ureteral Spasm, Pelvic Discomfort
Recent Sumatriptan related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Relpax, Maxalt, Sumatriptan, Zomig for a 36-year old woman who has Migraine
- Comparions of Nicotine, Nadolol, Concerta, Imitrex, Topamax for a 20-year old man who has Migraine With Aura
- Comparions of Sumatriptan, Phenytoin for a 34-year old man who has Myotonia
- Comparions of Lipitor, Ambien, Imitrex, Keppra Xr for a 45-year old woman who has Seizure - Grand Mal
- Comparions of Naproxen, Sumatriptan, Phentermine for a 23-year old woman who has Mood Disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.