Review: could Synthroid cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Coumadin, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 88,908 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,662 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Synthroid and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from Synthroid 93,746 users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma.(latest reports from Atrial fibrillation 84,600 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 88,898 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 1,699 people (1.91%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Synthroid when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||17.07%||7.32%||12.20%||2.44%||14.63%||7.32%||39.02% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Synthroid * :
|Atrial fibrillation||74.50%||25.50% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Synthroid * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.25%||1.56%||3.36%||17.11%||77.72% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||62.50%||37.50%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||20.00%||10.00%||70.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (205 people, 12.07%)
- Hypothyroidism (158 people, 9.30%)
- Osteoporosis (142 people, 8.36%)
- Hypertension (116 people, 6.83%)
- Thyroid disorder (96 people, 5.65%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Coumadin (523 people, 30.78%)
- Lasix (507 people, 29.84%)
- Aspirin (505 people, 29.72%)
- Digoxin (384 people, 22.60%)
- Potassium chloride (270 people, 15.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Synthroid, Atrial fibrillation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Cardio version caused fingernail abnormalities
Right hip fracture. When prepping for surgery AFIB was found. Surgery was cancelled and they attempted to get AFIB under control. Finally, cardioversion was performed. When my nails started to grow out they all had two horizontal lines that cause the nail to break when it grows out to that point.
- Turmeric and atrial fabrillation
I am a "health nut" who has always avoided any and all tobacco and alcohol, am on no medication, am on a reasonably purer diet (organic foods etc.,) and daily take and assortment of vitamins, minerals and a few herbs like garlic and saw palmetto. I had recently began taking therapeutic doses of Turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties in both powered and capsule forms--(powdered form for approximately two to three weeks--one teaspoon twice daily; capsule form for approximately three or four days--one capsule twice daily.) On the day in question, I took one teaspoon of the powered form of turmeric with a late lunch and left off the capsule form. I jog/walk two or three miles intermittently and roughly twice a week. Into the second mile of a three mile jog/walk that night,I experienced an unusual weakness and fatigue, stopped after the second mile and pulse was over 200. I had sweated a lot and after resting a while, I walked the third mile back home and showered. I was unable to sleep. My heart was in atrial fibrillation which was diagnosed hours later at the local Medical Center ER. Heart rate was fluctuating in the 150-170 range and was brought down to 100-120 range with I.V. medication but stayed in that range. Exactly 11 hours after its beginning and with virtually no sleep for over 24 hours and after drinking only water but with very little food and no vitamin or Turmeric consumption, immediately after standing up for the third time in four or five hours to go to the bathroom, I suddenly converted back to a normal heart rate which is 60 to 70 beats a minute and was released from the medical center seven hours later. Plan to stop taking all forms of Turmeric.
- Synthroid and breast enlargement
I have went from a B-C cup size to a D cup in the past 8-9 months.
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Levothyrixine and have increased as my dose has been increased.
- I switched to armour ,it's not synthetic.
I went off after 7 years on it when I discovered a link to a higher rate of lung cancer. I switched to Armour and it handled the hypothyroidism way better.
More reviews for: Synthroid, Atrial fibrillation
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was put on complete thyroid replacement drug when I was 16. (1960) Within about six months I could hardly walk and could not get into the school bus. I was not x-rayed at that time but the doctor considered I had growing pains as I was growing after taking the thyroid drug. Later I was ex-rayed and ...
- After 3-4 days of taking adderall or any stimulants I start to get pimple like sores on my scalp, nose,eyes,mouth,face and vaginal area puss comes out of mi eyes and vaginal area.
It seems like every hair follicle or cut becomes clogged and filled with puss. It burns when I use the restroom. My ey ...
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- Can hardly stay awake. Fall asleep after being awake from 2 hour naps within an hour. After running/walking on treadmill (difficult) at 2.5 mph for one half hour crawl back into bed and sleep! Not usual! Use only one drop in each eye per evening only. Sleep more than the cat! Wondered if I was h ...
More related studies for: Synthroid, Atrial fibrillation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.