Review: could Synthroid cause High blood pressure?
Summary: High blood pressure is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Vioxx, and have Hypothyroidism.
We study 88,908 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 4,792 have High blood pressure. Find out below who they are, when they have High blood pressure and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Synthroid and have High blood pressure >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from Synthroid 93,746 users)
High blood pressure
High blood pressure has been reported by people with osteoporosis, depression, multiple sclerosis, pain, rheumatoid arthritis.(latest reports from High blood pressure 328,584 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 88,885 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 4,295 people (4.83%) have High Blood Pressure.
Time on Synthroid when people have High blood pressure * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood pressure||14.93%||11.94%||7.46%||7.96%||15.92%||14.43%||27.36% |
Gender of people who have High blood pressure when taking Synthroid * :
|High blood pressure||85.96%||14.04% |
Age of people who have High blood pressure when taking Synthroid * :
|High blood pressure||0.03%||0.18%||0.35%||0.58%||2.68%||11.05%||25.06%||60.09% |
Severity of High blood pressure when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood pressure||4.26%||70.21%||25.53%||0.00% |
How people recovered from High blood pressure ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood pressure||9.52%||28.57%||61.90% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypothyroidism (737 people, 17.16%)
- Osteoporosis (555 people, 12.92%)
- Hypertension (536 people, 12.48%)
- Thyroid disorder (352 people, 8.20%)
- Depression (313 people, 7.29%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (734 people, 17.09%)
- Aspirin (726 people, 16.90%)
- Fosamax (606 people, 14.11%)
- Lasix (575 people, 13.39%)
- Lipitor (480 people, 11.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have High Blood Pressure while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have High Blood Pressure
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have High Blood Pressure
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can the drug cellcept be used to treat pityriasis rosea
Been diagnosed as Pityriasis Rosea. Dark patchy circles all over upper body and back. Condition has worsen, lasting over 5 months with outbreaks now on face and on scalp in hair. Some are painful raw blistery. Spreading on buttocks and a few on legs. Have tried several medications. Some have helped but none have cured. It is showing no signs of letting up. Dr has now prescribed Cellcept. Is this a safe drug for treatment for Pityriasis Rosea?
- I took flonase and meloxicam and my blood pressure is up. normal?
I took my blood pressure medicine but my blood pressure is higher than normal I took Flonase and Meloxicam. Is that normal and if I've left pressure is still high should I take another blood pressure pill?
- I'm starting 7.5 mg remeron tonight , how can i expect to feal in the morning? (1 answer)
Long period of depression desperate to find something that will work quik and give me some energy.
- Plendil and pad interaction with arteries
I'm currently taking 10 MG of Plendil with 20MG of Lisinopril. I've developed PAD a couple of years ago. I used to take 40MG of Lisinopril but since retiring my blood pressure had calmed down. My doctor reduced my Lisinopril to 20MG and kept the Plendil at 10MG. I was wondering is I should go back to the 40MG Lisinopril and discontinue the Plendil. I'm confused about the effects that Plendil has on my arteries. Does Plendil dialate the arteries ? If so, then wouldn't it be better that I stop the Plendil to reduce the pain of my PAD ?
- After a month of celebrex i lost the taste and no help for oa
Need to know more about Celebrex and not controlled hypertension
More questions for: Synthroid, High blood pressure
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Cardio version caused fingernail abnormalities
Right hip fracture. When prepping for surgery AFIB was found. Surgery was cancelled and they attempted to get AFIB under control. Finally, cardioversion was performed. When my nails started to grow out they all had two horizontal lines that cause the nail to break when it grows out to that point.
- Bloody semen after taking amlodipine besylate
Was started on Amlodipine Besylate 11-13-14. Now -not quite three weeks later- I have bloody semen (Hematospermia)ranging from light pink to dark red. It was fine, and normal before. I feel it is the medication causing this.
- Amlo dipine and terazosin
I have taken combination since 04/13 I have experienced ED lower testosterone and elevated PSA. Prior to that I was taking terazosin and hydrochorizide without any side effects. I stop taking the amlodipine during a juice fast and my PSA levels decreased when I stopped fasting and returned to taking the amlodipine my PSA levels rose.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
- Synthroid and breast enlargement
I have went from a B-C cup size to a D cup in the past 8-9 months.
More reviews for: Synthroid, High blood pressure
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was put on complete thyroid replacement drug when I was 16. (1960) Within about six months I could hardly walk and could not get into the school bus. I was not x-rayed at that time but the doctor considered I had growing pains as I was growing after taking the thyroid drug. Later I was ex-rayed and ...
- After 3-4 days of taking adderall or any stimulants I start to get pimple like sores on my scalp, nose,eyes,mouth,face and vaginal area puss comes out of mi eyes and vaginal area.
It seems like every hair follicle or cut becomes clogged and filled with puss. It burns when I use the restroom. My ey ...
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
- Can hardly stay awake. Fall asleep after being awake from 2 hour naps within an hour. After running/walking on treadmill (difficult) at 2.5 mph for one half hour crawl back into bed and sleep! Not usual! Use only one drop in each eye per evening only. Sleep more than the cat! Wondered if I was h ...
More related studies for: Synthroid, High blood pressure
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.