Review: could Synthroid cause Joint pain?
Summary: Joint pain is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Fosamax, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 88,908 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,711 have Joint pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Joint pain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Synthroid and have Joint pain >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from Synthroid 93,746 users)
Joint pain has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Joint pain 117,673 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 88,885 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 3,711 people (4.18%) have Joint Pain.
Time on Synthroid when people have Joint pain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Joint pain||10.43%||15.65%||2.61%||8.70%||17.39%||11.30%||33.91% |
Gender of people who have Joint pain when taking Synthroid * :
|Joint pain||89.37%||10.63% |
Age of people who have Joint pain when taking Synthroid * :
|Joint pain||0.00%||0.06%||0.66%||1.21%||4.73%||12.05%||26.66%||54.62% |
Severity of Joint pain when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Joint pain||6.52%||50.00%||41.30%||2.17% |
How people recovered from Joint pain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Joint pain||8.70%||8.70%||82.61% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (643 people, 17.33%)
- Hypothyroidism (618 people, 16.65%)
- Hypertension (283 people, 7.63%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (241 people, 6.49%)
- Thyroid disorder (221 people, 5.96%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fosamax (586 people, 15.79%)
- Aspirin (582 people, 15.68%)
- Lipitor (412 people, 11.10%)
- Lasix (407 people, 10.97%)
- Prilosec (316 people, 8.52%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Joint Pain while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Joint Pain
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Joint Pain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Synthroid, Joint pain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Cardio version caused fingernail abnormalities
Right hip fracture. When prepping for surgery AFIB was found. Surgery was cancelled and they attempted to get AFIB under control. Finally, cardioversion was performed. When my nails started to grow out they all had two horizontal lines that cause the nail to break when it grows out to that point.
- Faslodex driven hell
I have metastatic breast cancer...which has spread to my bones. Needless to say...I'm not a happy camper. Faslodex was my oncologist’s drug of choice for me. I've been on it since July 28, 2014....My first month was loading dosage...and each month that has followed I receive two injections in my tush...250mg each...for a total of 500mg monthly. Tomorrow, Monday November 17, 2014, will be my third round...not including the month of loading. As per my PET scan one month ago...the Faslodex has not started working. From everything I have been told...and read...it takes four to even six rounds to start working...if in fact it works at all.....@%^&*@#...says it all...if ya know what I mean.
What has kicked in from Faslodex...are some horrific side effects......About a month ago...I started having a strange little cough...dry...most of the time.....At times the cough becomes uncontrollable for aprox 15 / 20 minutes...then calms. NOTHING works at relieving it...although I suck down water like it is my last drink on earth...and use a wonderful...soothing throat drop, Halls Breezers...Cool Berry...which eases me...even if it is only psychologically, it is magical. The cough has gotten considerably worse over time...and for those that don't know me...I am sure they think I smoke ten packs a day. My voice is also affected at times due to the cough. My breathing is horrific...and I can no longer walk for any length of time...or for more than a short distance.....Nor can I walk and talk without coughing...and or losing my breath. Stamina...this I have none of!!! And this past week...the shit hit the fan.....Joining the cough...are bone and joint pains...as well as muscle pain. When I called my doctor...@ Sloan Kettering...I spoke with the nurse...and she had not a damn clue as to what might help. As a matter of fact...she told me that she has never heard of any of the side effects that I am now having. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???? EVERYTHING!!! However...when I check reputable sites...I find not a few...but hundreds of other people with the same side effects.
From what I have read on all the sites...the only way "WE" are going to get help with issues like these...is by sharing with one another. Not one of the individuals that I speak of has had any positive help with their side effects from their doctors. Am I pissed off??? You bet I am. As for depression...that only comes in small doses for me.....like yesterday...when my body hurt me so badly...my cough was out of control...I had difficulty breathing...and I could not stand on my own two feet without holding on. That moment in time has passed...but for how long??? What will I be hit with next??? When???
- Synthroid and breast enlargement
I have went from a B-C cup size to a D cup in the past 8-9 months.
- Cymbalta caused joint pain
I had taken Cymbalta for about 1.5 years and after taking it for a few months, I started having widespread joint pain. The joint pain has gotten worse and is becoming debilitating. Joint pain in the literature as a side affect of the drug but the joint pain seems to be permanent! I have not taken Cymbalta in a couple years but the joint pain has remained. I have had blood tests and my doctor says the tests show it is not arthritis.
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Levothyrixine and have increased as my dose has been increased.
More reviews for: Synthroid, Joint pain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was put on complete thyroid replacement drug when I was 16. (1960) Within about six months I could hardly walk and could not get into the school bus. I was not x-rayed at that time but the doctor considered I had growing pains as I was growing after taking the thyroid drug. Later I was ex-rayed and ...
- After 3-4 days of taking adderall or any stimulants I start to get pimple like sores on my scalp, nose,eyes,mouth,face and vaginal area puss comes out of mi eyes and vaginal area.
It seems like every hair follicle or cut becomes clogged and filled with puss. It burns when I use the restroom. My ey ...
- Bleeding symptoms reduce when off medication for nearly a week. Blood clot type content in loose stool (liquid). blood ranges from very dark to bright in same movement. Amount of blood is concern. There is pain and firm area in between upper pelvic and lower abdomen area that disappears after moveme ...
- Was on sulfasalazine but made me unwell...changed to methotrexate but stopped because of blood results. Have raised blood sugar from steroids.
Frequent urinary tract infections and self catheterisation. Retinal haemorrhage ( blots and dots) just discovered by optician with severe dry eyes
- Just started Prozac 4 weeks ago with no side effects. Became ill with UTI, doctor prescribed Bactrim & Phenergan. Within a day, I had severe muscle rigidity in my jaw, neck, shoulders & abdomen. It was not like a "leg cramp" and nothing I have ever experienced. I stopped taking the Prozac and th ...
More related studies for: Synthroid, Joint pain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.