Review: could Synthroid cause Muscle cramps?
Summary: Muscle cramps is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Forteo, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 89,006 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 513 have Muscle cramps. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle cramps and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle cramps >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from 93,858 Synthroid users)
Muscle cramps (painful sensations caused by muscle contraction) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, pain, depression. (latest reports from 10,839 Muscle cramps patients)
On Apr, 17, 2015: 89,006 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 513 people (0.58%) have Muscle Cramps.
Time on Synthroid when people have Muscle cramps * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle cramps||8.00%||20.00%||8.00%||0.00%||12.00%||16.00%||36.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||91.83%||8.17% |
Age of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||0.60%||0.60%||4.01%||11.82%||18.24%||64.73% |
Severity of Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle cramps||5.00%||65.00%||20.00%||10.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle cramps ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (120 people, 23.39%)
- Hypothyroidism (20 people, 3.90%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (18 people, 3.51%)
- Osteopenia (8 people, 1.56%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 1.56%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Forteo (137 people, 26.71%)
- Aspirin (64 people, 12.48%)
- Premarin (63 people, 12.28%)
- Zocor (63 people, 12.28%)
- Fosamax (53 people, 10.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of synthroid and muscle cramps on
Do you have Muscle Cramps while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle Cramps
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Muscle Cramps
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Levothyroxine Sodium, Simvastatin, Losartan Potassium, Metoprolol Succinate, Furosemide, Prednisone, Neoral for a 71-year old man with High Blood Pressure, Thyroxine Decreased, High Blood Cholesterol, Duretic, Anti Rejection, Suppress Immune System.
- A study of drug interactions between Zanaflex, Klonopin, Vicodin, Fentanyl-50, Sinemet Cr, Seroquel, Depakote Er for a 58-year old woman with Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Chronic Pain, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, Psychosis. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Muscle Cramps Aggravated, Sweating Fever, Congestive Heart Failure, Hallucinations
- A study of drug interactions between Synthroid, Topamax, Lithium Carbonate for a 36-year old man with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Bipolar Ii Disorder.
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Boniva for a 54-year old woman with Low Thyroid, Osteopenia. The patient has Dizzy, Chest Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Multivitamin, Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Losartan, Metoprolol Succinate, Synthroid, Atorvastatin Calcium for a 72-year old woman with Supplement, Sjogren's Syndrome, Hypertension, Cardiac Flutter, Hypothyroidism, Ldl/hdl Ratio Increased. The patient has Laboratory Test Abnormal
Recent Synthroid related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.