Review: could Synthroid cause Muscle cramps?
Summary: Muscle cramps is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Forteo, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 88,994 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 513 have Muscle cramps. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle cramps and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle cramps >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from 93,849 Synthroid users)
Muscle cramps (painful sensations caused by muscle contraction) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, pain, depression. (latest reports from 10,830 Muscle cramps patients)
On Mar, 16, 2015: 88,994 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 513 people (0.58%) have Muscle Cramps.
Time on Synthroid when people have Muscle cramps * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle cramps||8.00%||20.00%||8.00%||0.00%||12.00%||16.00%||36.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||91.83%||8.17% |
Age of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||0.60%||0.60%||4.01%||11.82%||18.24%||64.73% |
Severity of Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle cramps||5.00%||65.00%||20.00%||10.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle cramps ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (120 people, 23.39%)
- Hypothyroidism (20 people, 3.90%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (18 people, 3.51%)
- Osteopenia (8 people, 1.56%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 1.56%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Forteo (137 people, 26.71%)
- Aspirin (64 people, 12.48%)
- Premarin (63 people, 12.28%)
- Zocor (63 people, 12.28%)
- Fosamax (53 people, 10.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of synthroid and muscle cramps on
Do you have Muscle Cramps while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle Cramps
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Muscle Cramps
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Levothyroxine Sodium, Wellbutrin for a 63-year old woman with Thyroid Disorder, Depression. The patient has Constipation
- A study of side effects of Levothyroxine Sodium for a 54-year old man with Thyroid Disorder. The patient has Numb & Painful Feet Pain. Possible Metatarsalgia, Mortans Nueroma
- A study of side effects of Synthroid for a 52-year old man with Hypothyroidism. The patient has Raynaud's Phenomenon (discoloration of the fingers, toes, and occasionally other areas)
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Cough
- A study of drug interactions between Symbicort, Levothyroxine Thyroid for a 55-year old woman with Asthma, Thyroxine Decreased. The patient has Osteoporosis
Recent Synthroid related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Lyrica, Flexeril, Adderall 10, Levothyroxine Sodium, Norco for a 39-year old woman who has Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Comparions of Meloxicam, Synthroid for a 45-year old woman who has Antiinflammatory Therapy
- Comparions of Dexilant, Aldactone, Lamictal, Viibryd, Synthroid for a 33-year old woman who has Weight Loss
- Comparions of Omeprazole Magnesium, Synthroid for a 40-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Omeprazole, Keppra for a 68-year old woman who has Confusion, Barrett's Esophagus
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.