Home > Synthroid > Muscle cramps > Synthroid and Muscle cramps
Review: could Synthroid cause Muscle cramps?
We study 88,863 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 511 have Muscle cramps. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle cramps and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle cramps >>>
Synthroid (latest outcomes from 93,720 users) has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism.
Muscle cramps (painful sensations caused by muscle contraction) (latest reports from 51,098 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, pain, depression.
On Oct, 13, 2014: 88,801 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 511 people (0.58%) have Muscle Cramps.
Time on Synthroid when people have Muscle cramps * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle cramps||8.70%||17.39%||8.70%||0.00%||13.04%||17.39%||34.78% |
Gender of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||91.80%||8.20% |
Age of people who have Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid * :
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||0.60%||0.60%||4.02%||11.67%||18.11%||64.99% |
Severity of Muscle cramps when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle cramps||5.56%||66.67%||16.67%||11.11% |
How people recovered from Muscle cramps ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Muscle cramps||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (120 people, 23.48%)
- Hypothyroidism (20 people, 3.91%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (18 people, 3.52%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 1.57%)
- Osteopenia (8 people, 1.57%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Forteo (137 people, 26.81%)
- Premarin (63 people, 12.33%)
- Aspirin (63 people, 12.33%)
- Zocor (63 people, 12.33%)
- Fosamax (53 people, 10.37%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Muscle Cramps while taking Synthroid?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Muscle Cramps
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Muscle Cramps
Comments from related studies:
From this study (7 months ago):
I has constant severe upper abdominal pain after taking Atorvastatin for 6 months, and had my gallbladder removed. The abdominal pain still comes and goes, not as severe as before and it has been 6 months since the gallbladder removal.
The muscle pain started just before the abdominal pain (about 3 months after starting Atorvastatin). It started in my forearms and I thought it was from typing all day. Over the past year it has slowly spread up my arms, into my shoulders and into my lower back. I also get leg and foot cramps occassionally.
From this study (1 year ago):
Spams in back, sides; charlie horses in legs and feet; tingling or crawling feeling; cold and or numb fingers sometimes
From this study (2 years ago):
TOTAL THYROIDECTOMY 18 MONTHS AGO WHICH CAUSED PERMANANT PARATHYROID DAMAGE AND CHRONIC HYPOCALCAEMIA. TOOK MEDICATIONS IMMEDIATELY AFTER SURGERY AND HAVE NOT BEEN FREE FROM UNPLEASENT SYMPTOMS MAINLY CRAMP, MUSCLE PAIN , TWITCHING AND VIBRATIONS. aFTER 16 MONTHS HAVE NOW STARTED WITH WIDESPREAD JOINT PAIN.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
- I use levothroxine can i develop overactive bladder with continued use?
I seeing A new doctor about 5 years ago. The drug I had been using before was from an animal source. New doctor prescribes Levothyroxine and I began taking it as prescribed and gradually the frequency and volume of urine increased until I would get up from sleep in the middle of my sleep cycle to ...
- Does/can inulin (chicory root extract) interact with lithium?
I am taking all these antibiotics for 14 days to get rid of the H Pylori bacteria in my stomach. I want to replace the good bacteria lost and avoid diahhrea by taking a probiotic daily. However, I have noticed the use of inulin (chicory root extract) in the probiotic. I need to know if I can take th ...
- I have an under active thyroid, have been on levothyroxine,,50-75mg, since april 2014, i have terrible tremors all throught my whole body all day and all night what can be used to stop these ?
I am 52 and have also been diagnosed as menopusal, but i had an underactive thyroid, that has now become auto immune, i started to take 50 mg and was very
ill, so i asked the gp if upping it to 75 would help, he agreed, but i have now developed these inside tremmors through my legs and torso and ar ...
More questions for: Synthroid, Muscle cramps
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Le ...
- I switched to armour ,it's not synthetic.
I went off after 7 years on it when I discovered a link to a higher rate of lung cancer. I switched to Armour and it handled the hypothyroidism way better.
- High blood pressure - find the right medication
I was going through the menopause with all the usual drama when I started feeling awful. Doc said that my blood pressure was through the roof and prescribed Lisinopril. This gave me technicolour dreams and a runny nose, so he switched me to Losartan. This made me soooo tired that I didn't want to ...
More reviews for: Synthroid, Muscle cramps
On eHealthMe, Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) is often used for hypothyroidism. Find out below the conditions Synthroid is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Synthroid used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- B Complex Vitamin, Vitamin C, Lansoprazole, Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Ibuprofen, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride for a 57-year old woman who has Vitamin B2 Deficiency, Vitamin C Deficiency, Reflux Oesophagitis, Chronic Rhinitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, IBS (12 minutes ago)
- Compare Ambien Cr and Adderall Xr 20 and Effexor Xr for a 33-year old woman (36 minutes ago)
- Doxycycline for a 25-year old man who has Acne-like Skin Bumps (49 minutes ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Actemra and Depression
- Solu-medrol and Als
- Escitalopram and Burning Sensation
- Burning Sensation and Depression
Recent user comments
- "I gave myself 2 injections of Humira one on each thig ... " (4 hours ago)
- "Increase blood glucose while taking herceptin treatme ... " (5 hours ago)
- "It has been almost two months that abovementoined sym ... " (8 hours ago)
- Completed Suicide
- Peritoneal Cloudy Effluent
- Biopsy Artery Abnormal
- Isoproterenol Hydrochloride
- Eosinophilic Pneumonia