Review: could Synthroid cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Synthroid, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, also take medication Lasix, and have Hypothyroidism.
We study 89,006 people who have side effects while taking Synthroid from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,993 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Synthroid and have Weight gain >>>
Synthroid has active ingredients of levothyroxine sodium. It is often used in hypothyroidism. (latest outcomes from 93,858 Synthroid users)
Weight Gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 76,706 Weight Gain patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 88,994 people reported to have side effects when taking Synthroid. Among them, 2,993 people (3.36%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Synthroid when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||7.76%||12.65%||5.31%||12.24%||11.84%||11.02%||39.18% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Synthroid * :
|Weight gain||89.99%||10.01% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Synthroid * :
|Weight gain||0.04%||0.23%||0.95%||3.02%||6.83%||19.54%||27.18%||42.21% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Synthroid ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Weight gain||4.00%||58.00%||30.00%||8.00% |
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Weight gain||0.00%||12.90%||87.10% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypothyroidism (546 people, 18.24%)
- Depression (243 people, 8.12%)
- Hypertension (172 people, 5.75%)
- Thyroid disorder (164 people, 5.48%)
- Osteoporosis (156 people, 5.21%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lasix (328 people, 10.96%)
- Lipitor (309 people, 10.32%)
- Aspirin (289 people, 9.66%)
- Premarin (221 people, 7.38%)
- Lyrica (218 people, 7.28%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of synthroid and weight gain on
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Synthroid?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Synthroid and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Synthroid
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of MIRENA for a 37-year old woman with Birth Control. The patient has Acne, Brain Abscess, Weight Gain, Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 31-year old woman with Allergy To Mold - Dander - Dust, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Menstruation Irregular
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Aloe, Toprol-xl, Synthroid for a 80-year old woman with General Health, Heartburn, Hypertension, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Feeling Cold, Frequent Bowel Movements, Lightheadedness - Fainting, Tingling Of Head And Body
- A study of side effects of Concerta for a 29-year old woman with Add. The patient has Weight Gain
- A study of side effects of Losartan Potassium for a 47-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Weight Gain
Recent Synthroid related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine Hydrochloride for a 51-year old man who has Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
- Comparions of Raspberry Ketone, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 19-year old girl who has High Thyroid
- Comparions of Quinapril, Levothyroxine Sodium for a 82-year old woman who has Thyroid Disorder
- Comparions of Armour Thyroid, Synthroid for a 35-year old woman who has Chrysiasis
- Comparions of Levothyroxine Sodium, Prednisone for a 72-year old man who has Dry Eyes
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.