Review: could Tamiflu cause Drowsiness?
Summary: Drowsiness is found among people who take Tamiflu, especially for people who are male, 2-9 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Paxil, and have The flu.
We study 10,402 people who have side effects while taking Tamiflu from FDA and social media. Among them, 88 have Drowsiness. Find out below who they are, when they have Drowsiness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Tamiflu and have Drowsiness >>>
Tamiflu has active ingredients of oseltamivir phosphate. It is often used in the flu. (latest outcomes from Tamiflu 10,917 users)
Drowsiness has been reported by people with depression, pain, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Drowsiness 68,687 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 10,402 people reported to have side effects when taking Tamiflu. Among them, 88 people (0.85%) have Drowsiness.
Time on Tamiflu when people have Drowsiness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Drowsiness when taking Tamiflu * :
Age of people who have Drowsiness when taking Tamiflu * :
Severity of Drowsiness when taking Tamiflu ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Drowsiness ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Influenza (32 people, 36.36%)
- Insomnia (5 people, 5.68%)
- Influenza like illness (4 people, 4.55%)
- Febrile convulsion (3 people, 3.41%)
- Depression (3 people, 3.41%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Paxil (9 people, 10.23%)
- Zantac (8 people, 9.09%)
- Aricept (8 people, 9.09%)
- Periactin (7 people, 7.95%)
- Remeron (6 people, 6.82%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Drowsiness while taking Tamiflu?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Tamiflu and have Drowsiness
- support group for people who take Tamiflu
- support group for people who have Drowsiness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What are the side effects of catuaba/golden trumpet? is it truly for man only? does it really help with physical and mental fatigue?
On going, gradual forgetfulness for over 10 years. Concentration is moderate,but memory is very poor. Day time sleepiness is always an issue. No brain tumor, no dementia,nor any other neurological dysfunctions.
- Can meclizine cause insomnia once and sleepiness the next time
I took Meclizine one night (as advised by pharmacist; she said it causes drowsiness), after experiencing my first attack of vertigo. It kept me awake almost all night. A couple weeks later, as I was getting ready for a special school event for my daughter, I thought another vertigo attack was coming on. Since the Meclizine didn't make me sleepy the first time but instead had the opposite effect, I thought it would be ok to take it (this was an evening event with a meal). After eating, I began to get very sleepy and my face almost fell in my plate.
- Can long term use of vicodin cause hallucinations? (1 answer)
My 87 yr Mom has taken copious amts of Vicodin for 25+ yrs for arthritis & surgery pain management. Recently, Mom said the "carpet bubbles up 3-4 ft & trips her". Are hallucinations like this a sign of serious drug abuse? Is Mom's life in danger of drug overdose?
- Can fever be caused by parkinson's disease (1 answer)
I have had 2 attacks which included: Intermittent Low Grade Fever, Hand Tremor, Hand Grasping , and Feelings Of Worthlessness. I have osteopenia and chronic liver cirrhosis.
- Does lasix cause sleepiness
sleeps all the time up for short time and then needs to sleep again
More questions for: Tamiflu, Drowsiness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Gabapentin made me comatose
I took Neurontin, and then its generic, Neurontin, for about five years. It was prescribed for chronic pain. I found it ineffective, but kept being told it was a good drug, quite benign, and was probably benefiting me more than I realized. I did NOT realize that toward the end of the five-year period I was sinking into somnolence. On some days I simply didn't bother with the drug, because I felt it was ineffective, but on others I followed doctor's orders. Thus my condition varied depending on whether I'd actually ingested the drug. My condition came to a crisis when my husband called me from work, and found me incoherent. He took me to the ER, but I remember nothing about it. Apparently I was pleasant during admission, but clearly confused (I thought we had two presidents -- probably conflating George Bush with George W. Bush.) By the time doctors saw me, I was comatose. The physicians suspected morphine intoxication, as I was a chronic-pain patient. They didn't know what to do and thought I was dying. My husband told them the name of my pain- management doctor, who immediately diagnosed the problem. My kidneys were shutting down. He pointed to my creatines, which were off the chart. He told the other doctors to hydrate me fully, and leave me alone -- that I would be fine. I awoke about 10 hours later in intensive care. A nurse asked me if I knew where I was, and I replied I knew I was in the hospital but didn't know why. I was discharged the next morning, and had no lasting effects from the drug.
- Profolol side effects-will not use again
It is slightly more than 24 hours since profolol alone was given to me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I woke up quickly but very sleepy and tired. Forced to get in wheelchair and leave asap. Slept when I got home all night. The next day was very disoriented, lightheaded when I sat up or got up and unable to walk without feeling so dizzy and unable to walk straight that I was fearful I would fall without assistance. Halo affect in front of my eyes and unable physically to do anything. Just wanted to sleep and lie down. Not depressed but my body just did not want to function and could not function when I stood up. Very scary. Hoping will be gone after 48 hours.
- Narcolepsy-cataplexy and epilepsy after taking tamiflu (1 response)
Sorry for my unperfect English : ) I'm french.
I suddenly declared an "atypic" Narcolepsy-cataplexy after taking two pills of TAMIFLU in 2007. My husband was ill, and our family doctor recommanded me and my baby to take the same medecine otherwise we should also catch the "bad" flu.
I took two pills of TAMIFLU and fell down at my office, unanimated but not unconscious, unable to move, prisonner in my own body. Till this day, I couldn't help falling down 10 to 15 Times a day, being sleepy all the day long, being paralysed when I Wake up in the morning. Several nights I also experimented tonic-clonic epilepsy seizures and insomnia. My life would never be the same till then.
I was misdiagnotised the first time, since I didn't carry the "HLA specific type" confirming a typical narcolepsy. But the cataplexy attacks were so specifically that I obtained to be recieved in a sleep-center to check my sleepness architecture. The results were shortly confirming the diagnosis of Narcolpesy-Cataplexy in its nontypical form, "secondary type" as in rare cases as following a trauma, and also the diagnostics of frontal epilepsy.
I precise I did NEVER had seizure or epilepsy crises before the day I fell down after taking TAMILFU.
At the RMI, I was detected an "intrasellar arachnoidocele" which could explain the survenience of my symptoms. It's sudden appearance might have been a side effect of TAMIFLU which is now known to rich (oseltamivir substance)the blood-brain barrier and cause irreversible dammages to brain.
As a conclusion, TAMIFLU appeared to be responsable of a "medecinal intoxication" causing the narcolepsy-cataplexy I suddenly suffer since then.
Several Years after, we hear about narcolepsy cases caused by the massive H1N1 vaccinations... But what about me, am I the only one case declared by TAMIFLU and its molecule oseltamivir ?
- Gemfibrozil, depression and sleepiness
I would like to hear from anyone who has had these symptoms, and how they dealt with it, by either lowering dosage or quitting the med, or other. Also would like to hear from others who continued to drink moderately and if this drug lowered their triglycerides...or those who were no longer able to stomach alcohol and had to quit....or had other reactions to gemfibrozil and alcohol use. My depression is becoming severe. I have life changes as well, so I can't figure if it is the drug. Had to take it as my triglycerides were over 900. They are now down to 250. Thanks
More reviews for: Tamiflu, Drowsiness
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I am a Type 1 diabetic on insulin pump therapy with the continuous glucose monitoring link. I also take a Sertraline pill a day to take the edge off, but do not always take it on time during the hectic weekends/holidays. The past 2 days (day 3 and 4 of Tamiflu medication) had episodes where my blood ...
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- curious had CBC done with Flu nasal swab....at time WBC count was 4.5....3 days later, WBC count has dropped to 2.5 I feel the Tamiflu caused me more discomfort, etc....I was prescribed 5 days worth, 2x /day. I stopped after 3rd dose....It felt too powerful over my body.....I may have be ...
- Only started taking Prochlorperazine Maleate within the last month & have been experiencing severe Drowsiness which has been impacting my ability to work (Office) effectively. Suffering disorientation & vision issues (focussing).
I have a Doctors apppointment arranged for this Friday to discuss.
- Within an hour of taking Norco (10/325), I literally pass out. I cannot keep my eyes open. Unless I force myself to run around (cleaning house, doing errands, etc), I will fall asleep. This symptom only started this week. I have been taking Norco for 9 weeks now, off and on and it never had this aff ...
More related studies for: Tamiflu, Drowsiness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.