Review: could Topamax cause Fatigue?
(By eHealthMe on Mar, 3, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.7/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 21,413 people who take Topamax. Among them, 1,295 have Fatigue. See who they are, when they have Fatigue and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Topamax (latest outcomes from 24,399 users) has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine, migraine with aura. Commonly reported side effects of Topamax include headache, nausea, nausea aggravated, convulsion, convulsion prophylaxis.
Fatigue (feeling of tiredness) (latest reports from 1,501,303 patients) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis.
On Mar, 3, 2014: 21,413 people reported to have side effects when taking Topamax. Among them, 1,295 people (6.05%) have Fatigue.
Time on Topamax when people have Fatigue * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Fatigue when taking Topamax * :
Age of people who have Fatigue when taking Topamax * :
Severity of Fatigue when taking Topamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Fatigue ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Migraine (239 people, 18.46%)
- Depression (189 people, 14.59%)
- Epilepsy (155 people, 11.97%)
- Multiple sclerosis (152 people, 11.74%)
- Convulsion (144 people, 11.12%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (170 people, 13.13%)
- Synthroid (152 people, 11.74%)
- Cymbalta (144 people, 11.12%)
- Seroquel (142 people, 10.97%)
- Xanax (131 people, 10.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Topamax, Fatigue
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Topamax (topiramate) is often used for migraine. Find out below the conditions Topamax is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Topamax used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Topamax side effects from A to Z:
Browse Topamax drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (47 minutes ago):
I know that methadone can cause nodding. I am way beyond that stage of MMT though. I can admit that at certain points I was a horrible patient! I used everything under the sun to supplement getting high. I've been on doses of 345mgs, 230mgs, Split doses, Liquid, & Tablets. I've been on the dose I'm at now which is a split dose & the lowest dose I have been on, for well over 1 year. I have had clean drug tests I don't use any illegal drugs, I don't drink.
From this study (5 months ago):
Have constant pain in knees, feet, toes, hands, arms, neck and back. Cannot sleep because I wake up constantly with shooting pain in neck, feet, knees, including tingles and numbness. Left side is worse; includes some drooling and paralysis at times. History of colitis and recent IPIN neiplasms found in pancreas head, neck and tail with dilated bile ducts as well as dilated pancreatic ducts and swelling of gallbladder. Constant nausea, off/on vomiting, major pain in neck and back, as well as abdomen which has included constant pain in upper right and left rib cage area. Knee pain has increased dramatically, especially while sleeping (??). Migraine history severe; hospitalized many times and is constant. Hx of anemias, malnutrition, malabsorption, fecal incontinence, low mono#, low eosinophil, high Granulocyte and Gran %, low Vit C, Low Vit B6, Low Lymphycites, High Baso%, High Baso#, Low WBC, Low Transferrin, High Cardio CRP, Positive ANA, High GGT, abnormal fecal fat, hypoalbuminemia, low calcium (always), low anion gap, low protein...many labs always abnormal, could go on...always fatigued and in pain.
From this study (11 months ago):
Although some of the adverse outcomes tend to wax and wane as my mood shifts with bipolar disorder, the bed wetting is of extreme urgency. I'm looking for answers more for the bed wetting but would be happy to find reasons for the others as well.
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Topamax, Fatigue
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Topamax for weight loss, causing diarrhea
I was taking Topamax for weight loss and it worked very well. After 2 months I started having diarrhea. I stopped Topamax and the diarrhea stopped. Is there any drug or supplement I can take Topamax that will stop the diarrhea?
- Topomax & memory loss
I was on Topomax for approximately 12-13 years (for seizures) and have suffered severe memory loss as a result. I'd like to share some examples of my memory loss in case it can help someone else. Before I went off the drug, I had to listen to other peoples conversations to know who I was talking to. ...
- Former mirena user/ epileptic / never again
I had my Mirena IUD inserted in March of 2006. I had my first seizure in 2008. I was then diagnosed with epilepsy. I had the IUD removed in 2008. I delivered my second child in 2008 I had preterm labor with my son my cervix started dilating at 25 weeks. I was on bed rest for the remainder 14 weeks. ...
More reviews for: Topamax, Fatigue
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Phenergan, Zofran, Dilaudid, Zomig, Zanaflex, Metoprolol Tartrate, Topamax, Buspirone Hydrochloride, Fentanyl, Armour Thyroid for a patient with Nausea And Vomiting, Pain Management, Complicated Migraine, Muscle Spasms, Hypertension, Migraine Prophylaxis, Stress And Anxiety, Hashimoto's Disease. The patient has Hair Loss, Anemia - B12 Deficiency, Anemia - Hemolytic (Hemolytic anemia), Rash Macular, Weight Decreased, Abdominal Distension, Fecal Incontinence (Bowel incontinence), Bile Duct Pressure Increased, Muscle Aches, Muscle Twitching, Numbness And Tingling, Abdominal Pain Aggravated, Tachycardia Irregular, Fatigue, Nausea And Vomiting, Abdominal Neoplasm, Bone And Joint Pain (Joint pain), Pain Exacerbated, Migraine
- A study of drug interactions between Topamax, Wellbutrin Xl, Celexa, Lamictal, Xanax, Methadone Hydrochloride, Ativan, Nuvigil for a patient with Bipolar Disorder, Withdrawal From Opioids. The patient has Bedwetting, Lack Of Menses (Menstruation - absent), Lethargy (Fatigue)
- A study of side effects of Topiramate for a patient with Headache - Migraine With Aura. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears), Dizziness, Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)
More related studies for: Topamax, Fatigue
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.