Review: could Topamax cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Topamax, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Nexium, and have Migraine.
We study 22,595 people who have side effects while taking Topamax from FDA and social media. Among them, 364 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Topamax and have Hair loss >>>
Topamax has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from 24,623 Topamax users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,734 Hair loss patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 22,580 people reported to have side effects when taking Topamax. Among them, 364 people (1.61%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Topamax when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||8.51%||23.40%||18.09%||15.96%||26.60%||7.45%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Topamax * :
|Hair loss||91.99%||8.01% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Topamax * :
|Hair loss||0.00%||1.93%||2.21%||7.46%||23.76%||30.11%||26.80%||7.73% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Topamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||5.88%||82.35%||11.76%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||11.11%||0.00%||88.89% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Migraine prophylaxis (64 people, 17.58%)
- Convulsion (56 people, 15.38%)
- Migraine (50 people, 13.74%)
- Depression (47 people, 12.91%)
- Fibromyalgia (39 people, 10.71%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Nexium (44 people, 12.09%)
- Tegretol (39 people, 10.71%)
- Neurontin (36 people, 9.89%)
- Klonopin (31 people, 8.52%)
- Lamictal (30 people, 8.24%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of topamax and hair loss on
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Topamax?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Topamax and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Topamax
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Venlafaxine Hydrochloride, Adderall 20, Lyrica for a 53-year old woman with Depression, Fatigue - Chronic, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Vertigo, Itching, Burning Sensation, Nasal Dryness, Bursitis, Chest Pain, Restless Legs Syndrome, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Weight Gain, Breathing-related Sleep Disorder, Sleep Apnoea Syndrome, Mouth Dry Aggravated, Eyes - Dry, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Weakness, Hands - Chapped And Dry, Glaucoma, Pain In Jaw, Headache, Pain - Eye, Vision Problems, Numbness In Hands Or Feet, Hair Loss, Pain Exacerbated
- A study of drug interactions between Imitrex, Elavil, Clonidine, Microgestin Fe 1/20, Norflex, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Lamictal, Topamax, Lyrica for a 28-year old woman with Migraine, Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Birth Control, Back Pain, Insomnia, Headache, Pain. The patient has Migraine, Migraine With Aura
- A study of side effects of Mirtazapine for a 40-year old woman with Chronic Depression. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Symbicort for a 9-year old boy with Pediatric Asthma. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Mirena for a 41-year old woman with Contraception. The patient has Migraine (headache), Widespread Body Aches, Loss Of Hair, Anxiety, Sometimes Unable To Retrieve Words, Brain Mass, Weight Gain - Unintentional, Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)
Recent Topamax related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.