Review: could Topamax cause Lupus-like syndrome?
Summary: Lupus-like syndrome is found among people who take Topamax, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 2 years, also take medication Celexa, and have Birth control.
We study 22,606 people who have side effects while taking Topamax from FDA and social media. Among them, 20 have Lupus-like syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Lupus-like syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Topamax and have Lupus-like syndrome >>>
Topamax has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from 24,636 Topamax users)
Lupus-like syndrome (a disease symptom matches with lupus an immune disease) has been reported by people with crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 3,091 Lupus-like syndrome patients)
On Apr, 27, 2015: 22,606 people reported to have side effects when taking Topamax. Among them, 20 people (0.09%) have Lupus-like Syndrome.
Time on Topamax when people have Lupus-like syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||33.33%||0.00%||66.67%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Lupus-like syndrome when taking Topamax * :
|Lupus-like syndrome||100.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Lupus-like syndrome when taking Topamax * :
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||6.25%||43.75%||12.50%||18.75%||18.75%||0.00% |
Severity of Lupus-like syndrome when taking Topamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Lupus-like syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Contraception (7 people, 35.00%)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (5 people, 25.00%)
- Rash erythematous (4 people, 20.00%)
- Migraine prophylaxis (3 people, 15.00%)
- Migraine (3 people, 15.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Celexa (7 people, 35.00%)
- Micronor (7 people, 35.00%)
- Bentyl (6 people, 30.00%)
- Cortisone cream (4 people, 20.00%)
- Neurontin (2 people, 10.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Jmason (7 months ago):
Hello, I am a 32 year old Female. About 4 years ago I was put on Topamax 50mg daily for migraines. Two months later dose increased to two 50mg tabs daily. I started losing weight like crazy! Within the first year of being on Topamax I lost total of 35lbs. I even called my PCP at one point bc I was afraid to lose anymore weight. He said it would plateau at some point and not to worry. Which it did. It was around the 2nd year of being on the topamax I started noticing little symptoms that were abnormal for me... Poor circulation, getting more forgetful, my speech would get jumbled at times. My 3rd year I was getting aches and pains all over in spurts "flare ups" my finger tips were turning white and going numb/my ring finger especially. I was then referred to a Rheumatoligist and diagnosed with Raynauds Syndrome. This was unfortunately after a long series of unneeded testing by several specialists. I was having pain in my chest. Saw several cardiologists. Numerous tests done. Found enlarged right side of my heart but nothing "serious" pain in my chest continued so MRIs, chest XRaYs, etc... Finally when I was sent to the Rheumatologist: pleurisy!
Boat load of lab work. Showing I do have Lupus. SLE.
Currently on Plaquenil. Cellcept. Prednisone. HCTZ. Celexa. Topamax. Vit D 50,000 Units. Vit B12injections. And I'm STILL tired!!! I don't know how that's possible! I'm in constant "brain fog" stiff neck all the time. Achy pain in joints.. So frustrating!
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Topamax and lupus-like syndrome on
Do you have Lupus-like Syndrome while taking Topamax?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Topamax and have Lupus-like Syndrome
- support group for people who take Topamax
- support group for people who have Lupus-like Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Synthroid, Topamax, Lithium Carbonate for a 36-year old man with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Bipolar Ii Disorder.
- A study of drug interactions between Baclofen, Neurontin, Ibuprofen, Lipitor, Topamax, Niacin, Paxil CR, Alendronate Sodium, Clopidogrel for a 56-year old woman with Backaches And Stress, Seizures, Complicated Migraine, Total Cholesterol, Depression, Osteoporosis, Pad. The patient has Migraine, Brittle Bone Disease, Slurred Speech, Numbness
- A study of drug interactions between Seroquel, Remeron, Lexapro, Klonopin, Fluoxetine, Effexor Xr, Topamax, Risperdal, Restoril, Depakote, Adderall, Abilify, Zoloft, Xanax, Zyprexa, Geodon for a 44-year old woman with Depression, Migraine With Aura, Dpression, Sleep Disorder, Add, Depression - Chronic, Anxiety Disorder.
- A study of drug interactions between Restoril, Geodon, Brintellix, Ativan, Topamax, Lamictal for a 36-year old woman with Insomnia, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Anxiety. The patient has Macule, Dry Skin, Blisters, Hives, Itching - Burning Eyes, Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Adderall 20, Norco, Topamax for a 34-year old woman with ADD, Chronic Pain, Migraine. The patient has Ulcer - Stomach
Recent Topamax related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Topiramate for a 60-year old woman who has Migraine With Aura
- Comparions of Topiramate, Lamictal, Latuda for a 33-year old man who has Bipolar Ii Disorder
- Comparions of Topamax, Zorvolex, Buspirone Hcl for a 50-year old man who has Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood
- Comparions of Garcinia Cambogia, Pristiq, Topamax, Adderall 30, Methadone Hydrochloride for a 37-year old woman who has Addiction
- Comparions of Savella, Topamax, Lyrica for a 42-year old woman who has Fibromyalgia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.