Review: could Topamax cause Mood swings?
Summary: Mood swings is found among people who take Topamax, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Seroquel, and have Bipolar disorder.
We study 22,595 people who have side effects while taking Topamax from FDA and social media. Among them, 254 have Mood swings. Find out below who they are, when they have Mood swings and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Topamax and have Mood swings >>>
Topamax has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from 24,623 Topamax users)
Mood swings (an extreme or rapid change in mood) has been reported by people with quit smoking, depression, birth control, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 24,771 Mood swings patients)
On Mar, 28, 2015: 22,595 people reported to have side effects when taking Topamax. Among them, 254 people (1.12%) have Mood Swings.
Time on Topamax when people have Mood swings * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Mood swings||42.86%||23.21%||10.71%||5.36%||12.50%||3.57%||1.79% |
Gender of people who have Mood swings when taking Topamax * :
|Mood swings||76.92%||23.08% |
Age of people who have Mood swings when taking Topamax * :
|Mood swings||0.00%||1.98%||6.72%||15.02%||30.04%||22.53%||18.58%||5.14% |
Severity of Mood swings when taking Topamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Mood swings||0.00%||33.33%||66.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Mood swings ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Mood swings||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Bipolar disorder (58 people, 22.83%)
- Depression (49 people, 19.29%)
- Epilepsy (44 people, 17.32%)
- Migraine (38 people, 14.96%)
- Anxiety (35 people, 13.78%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (62 people, 24.41%)
- Synthroid (48 people, 18.90%)
- Klonopin (48 people, 18.90%)
- Lexapro (46 people, 18.11%)
- Clonazepam (43 people, 16.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of Topamax and mood swings on
Do you have Mood Swings while taking Topamax?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Topamax and have Mood Swings
- support group for people who take Topamax
- support group for people who have Mood Swings
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Topiramate, Atenolol, Alprazolam, Lexapro for a 54-year old man with Migraine, Hypertension, Anxiety Disorder, Depression. The patient has Folliculitis
- A study of drug interactions between Topamax, Antabuse for a 35-year old woman with Bipolar Affective Disorder Aggravated, Alcohol Rehabilitation. The patient has Nausea Aggravated, Weak Shaky Feelings Of Vomitingstomach Painslack Of Sexual Interest Physically Not Mentally
- A study of side effects of Topiramate for a 43-year old woman with Migraine With Aura. The patient has Dizziness, Burning Sensation, Feeling Cold, Dry Mouth, Hyperthermia (body temperature greatly above normal), Hair Texture Abnormal, Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Topamax for a 53-year old woman with Migraine. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of side effects of Topiramate for a 31-year old woman with Migraine Hemiplegic. The patient has Alice In Wonderland Syndrome (neurological condition where a person experiences a complete distortion of perceptual reality)
Recent Topamax related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.