Review: could Topamax cause Water retention (Fluid Retention)?
Summary: Water retention is found among people who take Topamax, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Neurontin, and have Migraine.
We study 22,606 people who have side effects while taking Topamax from FDA and social media. Among them, 61 have Water retention. Find out below who they are, when they have Water retention and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Topamax and have Water retention >>>
Topamax has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from 24,636 Topamax users)
Water retention (an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the blood) has been reported by people with primary pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 18,475 Water retention patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 22,606 people reported to have side effects when taking Topamax. Among them, 61 people (0.27%) have Water Retention.
Time on Topamax when people have Water retention * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Water retention||0.00%||42.86%||0.00%||28.57%||14.29%||14.29%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Water retention when taking Topamax * :
|Water retention||90.62%||9.38% |
Age of people who have Water retention when taking Topamax * :
|Water retention||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||12.28%||56.14%||22.81%||8.77% |
Severity of Water retention when taking Topamax ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Water retention||25.00%||50.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Water retention ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Water retention||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Migraine (8 people, 13.11%)
- Hypertension (5 people, 8.20%)
- Migraine prophylaxis (5 people, 8.20%)
- Pain (5 people, 8.20%)
- Depression (5 people, 8.20%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Neurontin (12 people, 19.67%)
- Cymbalta (9 people, 14.75%)
- Lyrica (9 people, 14.75%)
- Klonopin (8 people, 13.11%)
- Mupirocin (7 people, 11.48%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Water Retention while taking Topamax?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Topamax and have Water Retention
- support group for people who take Topamax
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Topamax for a 35-year old woman with Migraine With Aura. The patient has Vertigo
- A study of drug interactions between Spironolactone, Maxalt-mlt, Topamax for a 34-year old woman with Acne Pustular, Migraine Without Aura. The patient has Depression, Mood Swings
- A study of drug interactions between Ventolin, Anturol, Tramadol, Hydroxyzine, Wellbutrin, Methylphenidate Hydrochloride, Omeprazole, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Succinate, Levoxyl, Trileptal, Topiramate for a 44-year old woman with Panic Attacks, Overactive Bladder, Tension Headaches, Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Adhd, Gerd, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism, Bipolar. The patient has Leg And Arm Numbness (upper Arms), Exhaustion
- A study of drug interactions between Synthroid, Topamax, Lithium Carbonate for a 36-year old man with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Bipolar Ii Disorder.
- A study of drug interactions between Baclofen, Neurontin, Ibuprofen, Lipitor, Topamax, Niacin, Paxil CR, Alendronate Sodium, Clopidogrel for a 56-year old woman with Backaches And Stress, Seizures, Complicated Migraine, Total Cholesterol, Depression, Osteoporosis, Pad. The patient has Migraine, Brittle Bone Disease, Slurred Speech, Numbness
Recent Topamax related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Topiramate for a 60-year old woman who has Migraine With Aura
- Comparions of Topiramate, Lamictal, Latuda for a 33-year old man who has Bipolar Ii Disorder
- Comparions of Topamax, Zorvolex, Buspirone Hcl for a 50-year old man who has Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood
- Comparions of Garcinia Cambogia, Pristiq, Topamax, Adderall 30, Methadone Hydrochloride for a 37-year old woman who has Addiction
- Comparions of Savella, Topamax, Lyrica for a 42-year old woman who has Fibromyalgia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.